Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by kacee
what is your routing? Many flight numbers are used for more than one flight per day.

ua208 - iad-lax
ua1221 - lax-ord
ua600 - ord-dca

ty!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I'll be making 1K in about a week and this will be my first time using UA GPU. I was looking at some fares for upcoming travel from NY to Europe.

Fare Class: Q
777 EWR-BRU
It shows:
Available Cabins: F5, FN5, A5, ON4, O0, J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R9, RN9, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

The R inventory is what I am looking for right? I could book the coach ticket and then apply a GPU for BF and should have a good chance to upgrade, right?
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I'll be making 1K in about a week and this will be my first time using UA GPU. I was looking at some fares for upcoming travel from NY to Europe.

777 EWR-BRU
It shows:
Available Cabins: F5, FN5, A5, ON4, O0, J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R9, RN9, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

The R inventory is what I am looking for right? I could book the coach ticket and then apply a GPU for BF and should have a good chance to upgrade, right?
No a good chance, you should immediately clear.
You will have to purchase, wait to be ticketed and then upgrade. If you are worried about the delays in ticketing -- call and book with a phone agent.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyFlyAwayUA
ua208 - iad-lax
ua1221 - lax-ord
ua600 - ord-dca

ty!
So you are departing IAD and LAX on 1/1 and ORD on 1/2? If so your flights are respectively, F9 P9 R9, F4 P3 R0, and F6 P2 R0. You have a decent chance of a CPU on the first flight, and a much lesser chance on two and three. The red-eye out of LAX looks particularly chancy (and I might say just plain unlikely for a Plat). Note that while you could confirm the upgrade right now with an RPU on the first flight, the second and third would waitlist.

I would watch UA208 during the upgrade window. If you don't clear at T-72, and R is dwindling, I would consider applying the RPU prior to T-24. If I wanted to sit up front on the return, I would waitlist that RPU right now and keep my fingers crossed.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:57 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

777 EWR-BRU
It shows:

Be sure to book W or higher in order to be able to use the GPU. If you call, as suggested above, the 1k agent should be able to guide you.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sb3
Be sure to book W or higher in order to be able to use the GPU. If you call, as suggested above, the 1k agent should be able to guide you.
You can also confirm the upgrade online from the "View Reservation" page after the itinerary tickets (generally less than hour). I always kind of enjoy that part of the transaction
Old Dec 12, 2013, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
So you are departing IAD and LAX on 1/1 and ORD on 1/2? If so your flights are respectively, F9 P9 R9, F4 P3 R0, and F6 P2 R0. You have a decent chance of a CPU on the first flight, and a much lesser chance on two and three. The red-eye out of LAX looks particularly chancy (and I might say just plain unlikely for a Plat). Note that while you could confirm the upgrade right now with an RPU on the first flight, the second and third would waitlist.

I would watch UA208 during the upgrade window. If you don't clear at T-72, and R is dwindling, I would consider applying the RPU prior to T-24. If I wanted to sit up front on the return, I would waitlist that RPU right now and keep my fingers crossed.
Thank you Kacee!
Old Dec 12, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by FlyFlyAwayUA
ua208 - iad-lax
ua1221 - lax-ord
ua600 - ord-dca

ty!
New years day as a PLAT I would say CPU chances are good, but I would never burn an RPUS non such short hops anyhow. Just pick a good E+ seat

On edit,,,much better analysis done by Kacee below based on current fare buckets status.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Avis First
So generally speaking, which airports should I try and focus on to be able to use GPUs? The following are ones that are easier for me to fly out of:

IAH
DEN
SFO
ORD
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dah123321
So generally speaking, which airports should I try and focus on to be able to use GPUs? The following are ones that are easier for me to fly out of:

IAH
DEN
SFO
ORD
Without knowing where and when you are going there is no possible answer to this. It is possible and regularly done to use GPUs out of any of these airports.

Suggest reading a few of the many, many threads on GPU useage.

Search for a particular routing, like ....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-upgrade.html

or try a generic threads like
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ss-2013-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...re-2013-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-upgrade.html

lots of info is there
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Avis First
Will do, thanks WineCountry
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:08 pm

Need some help thinking this through. Should I should split my PNR to increase chances of RPU clearing?

Flying this Sunday UA357 IAD-SEA (A319), me (Plat) + 2 companions (both GM) + 1 lap infant on one PNR. We are booked in N.

Buckets are currently:

Available Cabins: F3, A3, JN4, Z2, ZN2, P1, PN1, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y8, YN8, B8, M6, E6, U6, H1, HN0, Q0, V0, W0, S0, T0, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

Advancing the flight status link shows 8 F seats with 4 booked.

Options:
1.) [Plat + GM + lap infant], [GM]
2.) [Plat + lap infant], [GM], [GM]
3.) Forget it (fat chance). Don't risk losing bulkhead seats together.

Thanks for your input!
Old Dec 17, 2013, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by whistler814

Options:
1.) [Plat + GM + lap infant], [GM]
2.) [Plat + lap infant], [GM], [GM]
3.) Forget it (fat chance). Don't risk losing bulkhead seats together.

Thanks for your input!
My opinion? Enjoy Row 7. F is not that much better on the 319/320 (unless you're cursed with the slimline seats in Y).

And beware the auto splitting. stupid-pnr-auto-splitting-t-24-needs-stop.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
RPU on "direct" (not nonstop) flight ?

if I apply on a RPU on a "direct" flight JFK-LAX-LAS (UA 535), does it only clear when BOTH flights have R space ?
Old Dec 18, 2013, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan
if I apply on a RPU on a "direct" flight JFK-LAX-LAS (UA 535), does it only clear when BOTH flights have R space ?
It clears segment by segment. And it is burned if it clears on either segment. If JFK-LAX is not available for upgrade at booking, you should call and ask the agent to apply it only to JFK-LAX, not the LAX-LAS segment. Then if the transcon clears, you can ask to have the RPU applied to the LAS segment as well. Otherwise you may burn the RPU and only receive an upgrade LAX-LAS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.