Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mkasperzak
If the DidItClear website is going to be effective, it needs more members and trip upgrade data!

Please visit https://www.diditclear.com/ and include your trip experience with CPU's, RPU's, GPU's and any other means of upgrading available on United.

The better the data, the better the search results and experiential history.
Add / Edit Wikipost
Print Wikipost

Specific GPU and RPU usage questions thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dsilvers
If I am booking a business class ticket on a 3-class plane, what fare class needs to be available for a GPU to process an upgrade to Global First?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.
ON. You can upgrade a J, C or D fare.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
both trips are two GPU itins.
yes, if you spend enough time at any one destination to violate the connection time limit. Otherwise, if this itin is done as a mileage run it can be upgraded online with ONE GPU up to the point where you connect through the same airport twice. Phone agents WILL NOT do this for you, EVER, they will argue it needs 2 GPU's but .bomb will let you confirm the upgrade as long as R space is avail.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In the PMUA system, you could not transit an airport twice with the same upgrade instrument. Both of your itins (NRT in the first and SFO in the second) clearly violate that rule which i think is still active. (plus you have the 12 hour connection limit)
yes, that rule still applies. The first one would only upgrade back to SFO, the second one to NRT (but would allow you to substitute LAX for SFO at either SFO spot and upgrade all the way to EWR! as long as the connection time rule is not violated (needs to be a mileage run, you can't spend enough time to have fun at any one location, otherwise 2 GPU are needed)
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:10 am

Questions regarding GPU usage on TATL flights

Hello,

I recently moved to the States from Canada for a 2-year work assignment.
As a result, my flight pattern for work has changed, and it looks like I'm going to be flying UA mostly now, mainly US domestic.
I have status with AC right now, but I think it might make sense to move to UA's ff program with my flight pattern changes, and I think I will hit 1K by the end of the year if I switch.
I'm hoping to use the GPUs I will receive for family vacation, as my family usually flies to Europe once a year, which leads me to some of my questions.

1) Generally speaking, can I expect to find TATL flights with positive R space if I book early enough?
Having played AC's R games a lot in the past, I'd really like to have upgrades clear at time of booking instead of having to sweat on the waitlist.

2) What are some of the easier TATL routes for GPU upgrades?
We usually visit a few different countries once we land in Europe, so we are flexible in terms of which city to fly in.

3) Is there a certain time of the year when TATL flights are easier to upgrade?

Thanks a lot in advance-
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by agjil
1) Generally speaking, can I expect to find TATL flights with positive R space if I book early enough? ....
usually yes -- but ealry is the key word

.... 2) What are some of the easier TATL routes for GPU upgrades?
AMS / BRU perhaps -- alot depends on where you are starting from
3) Is there a certain time of the year when TATL flights are easier to upgrade? ...-
peak summer is certainty the worst
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's also been quite a bit of R lately IAD-LHR
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: UA MP Gold, 1MM, Global Entry
3) Is there a certain time of the year when TATL flights are easier to upgrade?
Oct-Feb is easiest with a couple months notice, summer is available but usually need 9-11 months notice.

In addition to cities referenced above, EWR-LHR can have decent availability.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:45 am

Can you use RPU to upgrade BKK - NRT?

I was under impression that you can upgrade BKK - NRT with RPU. But I can't find this info on the RPU page anymore (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...gupgrades.aspx).

Can you use the cert on this route?

Thanks a lot!
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
You cannot. RPUs are only valid for routes with CPU plus ps flights and EWR/IAD to Hawaii.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:51 am

Thank you, kenn0223 ^
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
This chart may help:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, UA MP Club Card, Citi Prestige, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kb1992
$1000 K fare for 25000 EQM. Good deal. ^

I would use RPU on SIN-HKG because it's 744 vs HKG-SIN crappy 737.

Still, tough life! I would spend $$ to get W fare and use GPU to sit in C.
That's a 777, actually. Flew it just a few months ago. It's a tag on flight for the ORD-HKG aircraft.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:26 pm

Okay, so I have a stupid question - I'm looking at a flight from NYC-CDG (UA metal) / MUC-NYC (LH metal) and want to use my GPUs, so I'm searching W fares...but then I noticed
The following Lufthansa fares are not eligible for Global Premier Upgrades: L, T, X, I, R, N, E, S, W, Z, P, K, O, ID, AD and IP.
So online, I can only book in a single fare class, but if I book everything in W, I can use my GPU on the UA metal but it's excluded for LH metal? Do I need to call in and book the two legs into different fare classes?
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by steaminer
So online, I can only book in a single fare class, but if I book everything in W, I can use my GPU on the UA metal but it's excluded for LH metal? Do I need to call in and book the two legs into different fare classes?
Yes, you would need a different fare class for the LH flight. Also, note that you would need one GPU for each LH segment (this may not apply in your situation, but something to be aware of for the future).
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by steaminer
Okay, so I have a stupid question - I'm looking at a flight from NYC-CDG (UA metal) / MUC-NYC (LH metal) and want to use my GPUs, so I'm searching W fares...but then I noticed

Or you could just book the whole thing in V. Sometimes there's a material price difference, sometimes not.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
ok i had a SEA-IAH-EWR-OSL-EWR-SEA flight book gpis applied. Flew SEA-IAH-EWR all upgraded to first with the GPU, The EWR-OSL was wait listed. OSL-EWR-SEA all cleared. Now the IAH-EWR outbound landed and hour late and missed our 1 hour connection to OSL. After a lot of arguing back and forth i decided to just cancel all the remaining legs and get a refund. It appears they immediately refunded the GPU for the return leg OSL-EWR but have not gotten the EWR-OSL leg. I "Should" get that gpu back correct? even though SEA-IAH-EWR all cleared the EWR-OSL misconnected and the rest of the reservation was cancelled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.