Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA vs. LH - Biz vs. First

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
For eastbound redeye flights, I would certainly choose UA GF, especially if it is from the west coast. Longer flight time allows better sleep and the privacy in GF is nice.

However for westbound day-time flights, I can see someone wanting to "try out" the new 748 planes.

I know someone mentioned 748 C is a better value, but I assume OP is using miles, so I don't think C class award redemptions are that much of a value redemption compared to F. Sure if F seats opened up on the 748, it would be a no brainer.

Now if there was a comparison between NH 787 C vs. UA 777 F on NRT-SEA, it would be a different story.

Last edited by Time traveller; Nov 9, 2012 at 11:19 am
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
what about the footsy issue?

Don't the new 747-8 C seats have an angle that allows you to give your seat mate a foot massage?
Personally, UA F and LH F are great seats. Service is great at LH I would always take F over C. The fact that its a new plane definitely piques my curiosity, but I vote with my butt and it says always go in F. Not too shabby a choice for you in either situation.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
The -8i is awesome. LH in a minute, unless you plan just to sleeo. Food and service was better. And the plane is gorgeous.

Your foot space is clearly separate; I don't see how anyone could have a problem.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:58 pm

Many thanks for your posts. I really think it comes down to personal preferences. I received a very mixed picture, which I think is good because it shows that either product isn't terminally bad.

Regarding value of mile redemption in first class: I think it is a lot of price savings that you make, but in terms of value I am not so sure.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 4:34 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I'd take UA F for a sure thing for a flat bed seat.

My problem with the LH 747-8 is that they have what, one aircraft? There have already been complaints in the LH forum about it not flying all the time. The risk is that they sub something else for the 747-8 and then you wind up in the LH crappy old C seat.

Now, on the other hand, if you can get LH F, that is not a whole different ball game, it's another sport entirely!
They have more then 1 aircraft. That was the problem during the summer when they only had 1, flying 6 days a week IAD-FRA w the 7th day used for training. Now they fly the 747-8 to IAD & 2 cities in India (they have at least 4 now). The 2 times I took it, it was right on time

Originally Posted by tomj888
Don't the new 747-8 C seats have an angle that allows you to give your seat mate a foot massage?
Personally, UA F and LH F are great seats. Service is great at LH I would always take F over C. The fact that its a new plane definitely piques my curiosity, but I vote with my butt and it says always go in F. Not too shabby a choice for you in either situation.
It looked that way from the original pictures before anyone saw the actual product. Of course, the LH thread on FT were up in arms about this, even though no one had seen the actual seat in real life Turns out LH did a good job. Yes, the seats are angled at each other but unless you & the person next to you is well over 2 metres tall w size 14 feet, you won't have a problem

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 10, 2012 at 8:47 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
LH Business Impression Dec 2012

Instead of UA metal from Ord to Europe tried LH from JFK to FRA in business. I know there have been other threads but this is an update. Great experience. First downside is not flat seats. But then real professionalism on board. Food good. Very clean AC. Great lounge. Super clean, modern and great selection of food and drink. But again it's the overall professionalism (yes a bit cold) but on time and done with a very positive attitude. I'm not sleeping for days so I think FOR ME LH in business works well. I have a sense that I'm getting (almost) what I paid for with good execution. On UA hit or miss in J. That's my impression and I still got my UA miles.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Originally Posted by bcj1949
Instead of UA metal from Ord to Europe tried LH from JFK to FRA in business. I know there have been other threads but this is an update. Great experience. First downside is not flat seats. But then real professionalism on board. Food good. Very clean AC. Great lounge. Super clean, modern and great selection of food and drink. But again it's the overall professionalism (yes a bit cold) but on time and done with a very positive attitude. I'm not sleeping for days so I think FOR ME LH in business works well. I have a sense that I'm getting (almost) what I paid for with good execution. On UA hit or miss in J. That's my impression and I still got my UA miles.
Having flown LH a few times, I have to agree totally with the above OP. Will be looking to fly them a few times this year as I am tired of the UA hit or miss experience.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:34 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH J is a no-go for me due to the non-lay-flat seats. Their food and service is good, but no better or worse than any foreign-flag carrier as best I can tell. Very consistent, which is always a good way to manage a product.

Food on OS and TK is better thanks to DO&CO.

RIP TK F.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Ari
LH J is a no-go for me due to the non-lay-flat seats. Their food and service is good, but no better or worse than any foreign-flag carrier as best I can tell. Very consistent, which is always a good way to manage a product.

Food on OS and TK is better thanks to DO&CO.

RIP TK F.
New LH J has lie-flat seats. I agree the food on TK is better, but the service of food and drink is often lacking because the service process is designed badly. TK is hit or miss on lie-flat seats as well.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
UA C on 772 >> LX C on 333 >> LH C on 333

UA - very comfy seat, great IFE choices, good service
LX - seat air padding too hard, good service, but not as good as on UA
LH - seat & hardware awful, limited choices for IFE (lots of EU programming that I'd never watch), service somewhat cold

My service impressions are pretty subjective, because I usually make good contact with US/UA FAs, we have small talk, etc., so, I get excellent & frequent service pretty much every time I fly. This never happens on LH / LX - FAs either don't speak good English (and I don't speak German or French) and / or are not particularly interested in making conversation. It's pretty much "here is your food, sir, enjoy".
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I find UA service better as well, they have trained the FAs to regularly walk the aisles with water, etc. during the non-meal hours. LH service is glacial (it should not take 3 hours to complete dinner service, esp. when you know people want to sleep) - usually 1 hour from takeoff to first drink orders. Yes I have timed it and it is consistent (a I find LH staff to be pleasant but a bit lazy after meals are done and worst on the new 380s. I haven't had any communication issues though sometimes I have a little fun by responding in German as the FAs often (incorrectly) assume that's my native language due to my German surname.

That being said, UA should start planning its next move as I can see many people switching to LH when the lie-flat installation is completed over the next few years as LH-LH connections are often better. Then again maybe there is no incentive due to the revenue-sharing pact.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA1K
UA F vs. LH C

For SFO-FRA, I have an option of either UA F (via GPU; 1k so guessing it will clear) or LH Z -- WWFTD? Continuing flight is LH either way...

Also, for a codeshare on UA metal, do UAMP mileage/benefits follow as if it were a UA ticket (particularly w/ weaker partnerships like 9W)?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rpcbind
For SFO-FRA, I have an option of either UA F (via GPU; 1k so guessing it will clear) or LH Z -- WWFTD? Continuing flight is LH either way...

Also, for a codeshare on UA metal, do UAMP mileage/benefits follow as if it were a UA ticket (particularly w/ weaker partnerships like 9W)?
I personally would take UA in F for the seat and entertainment. Both of those are more important to me than the soft product.

Codeshare really has no relevance as to what benefits your entitled to. If the flight was *A flight then you would get *G recognition as a 1K, but with the "weaker partnerships" the only real benefit is mileage accrual unless otherwise stated to my knowledge.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by rpcbind
For SFO-FRA, I have an option of either UA F (via GPU; 1k so guessing it will clear) or LH Z -- WWFTD? Continuing flight is LH either way.
Unless you could somehow get into LH F, I would take UA F or C over LH old C. The seat and IFE are much better in UA C versus LH slanted C seat. LH food is marginally better, but not enough to give up a true flat bed seat. Haven't been in new LH C yet, so can't comment on that.

Now if you could get into LH F, then it's a whole different ball game.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Now if there was a comparison between NH 787 C vs. UA 777 F on NRT-SEA, it would be a different story.
Off topic, but I do this route a lot and would always take UA GF over NH C. Nice service on NH, but for someone's who is tall the GF seat is much better. GR also gets you into the NH or UA IFC at NRT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.