UA vs. LH - Biz vs. First

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 2:59 am

F . . .
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by funkbandit
Status is long gone...
The flight will be HNL-IAD-FRA. First leg is in UA domestic first.
Have canned a HNL-SFO-LHR-FRA flight (ua eco/ua first/ua biz) for that...
Are you saying you canned the SFO-LHR in F (GF) over taking domestic F HNL-IAD? If so, I think we have a difference of opinion on which is more comfortable. But, maybe you had a huge connection time in SFO?

Anyways, I haven't flown the LH 747-8 yet but of course that aircraft has the new C and heard it is similar to UA's C, so I don't think you can go wrong trying it.

Personally, I would take the longest leg in lie-flat and thus this is why I booked my wife and I a OGG-LAX-SFO-FRA (with SFO-FRA in GF and other in domestic F) this coming February. But, I know we all have a different opinion on how we like to fly.

If you go with the LH flight, please let us know what you think of their new C.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:38 am

Well, the flight HNL-SFO-LHR-FRA was a daytime flight from HNL (at 7:25 am). So I'd be in eco and wide awake for a good part of the morning. That I didn't like so much.

The SFO-LHR in UA F must be superb and I would like this flight very much.

But having about two hours in Lufthansa's economy feel Europe business class on the back end of that flight didn't convince me.

With HNL-IAD-FRA I will have two overnight flights. I hope that I can get some kind of rest on the flight HNL-IAD. If that won't work, then I will have a very good sleep option on the second leg anyways (no matter if I eventually choos LH or UA)

Originally Posted by AZjohns
Personally, I would take the longest leg in lie-flat and thus this is why I booked my wife and I a OGG-LAX-SFO-FRA (with SFO-FRA in GF and other in domestic F) this coming February. But, I know we all have a different opinion on how we like to fly.

If you go with the LH flight, please let us know what you think of their new C.

I would love to have the longest flight in a lie flat, too. But I can't get that to work for the specific dates I need. I know I could fix that taking the UA GF from SFO, but that would put in plain eco for the flight to the mainland...

If I end up taking LH I will pass on my info. Sure that.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 9, 2012 at 7:29 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:43 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I would take the LH 747-8 in C over UA GF. I flew the 747-8 in F twice this summer/fall & tried out the C seat. It's very comfortable. The UA GF seat is comfortable as well but the service, food, etc will be better in LH C then UA F & if you get a seat over the wing, you can spend the flight watching it flex up & down
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
.... & if you get a seat over the wing, you can spend the flight watching it flex up & down
It's the little things in life, isn't it (LOL)

Originally Posted by funkbandit
I would love to have the longest flight in a lie flat, too. But I can't get that to work for the specific dates I need.
What dates are you looking at? The Hawaii flights open and close F inventory all the time, I can't make any sense of it, which I think IM is very happy to hear
PS: Do all 3 of you need to fly together?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 9, 2012 at 7:30 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I'd go for LH. UA GlobalFirst is a joke, onboard service can be spotty to nonexistent. The 748i is a fantastic new aircraft with the new LH lie flat J seat. I'd say your miles/money and go with LH. Of course if it were LH F/LH J I'd go definitely go with LH F-the onboard and ground experience is as different as night and day.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by AZjohns
What dates are you looking at? The Hawaii flights open and close F inventory all the time, I can't make any sense of it, which I think IM is very happy to hear
PS: Do all 3 of you need to fly together?
The flight will be February. But you're very correct: F inventory is unpredictable...

And yes, all three of us need to fly together - which doesn't make things easier...
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:22 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I would take the LH 747-8 in C over UA GF. I flew the 747-8 in F twice this summer/fall & tried out the C seat. It's very comfortable. The UA GF seat is comfortable as well but the service, food, etc will be better in LH C then UA F & if you get a seat over the wing, you can spend the flight watching it flex up & down
I'd take UA F for a sure thing for a flat bed seat.

My problem with the LH 747-8 is that they have what, one aircraft? There have already been complaints in the LH forum about it not flying all the time. The risk is that they sub something else for the 747-8 and then you wind up in the LH crappy old C seat.

Now, on the other hand, if you can get LH F, that is not a whole different ball game, it's another sport entirely!
Old Nov 9, 2012, 6:47 am

The UA 777 F is a nice hard product and only 12 seats in the cabin. The LH 747-8 has a high amount of C seats. Anyone have the exact amount-on my phone ATM? I would go with UA 777 F.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:31 am

The first 3 Sundays and the last 2 Saturdays in Feb are wide open for 3 people in GF SFO-FRA
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
The UA 777 F is a nice hard product and only 12 seats in the cabin. The LH 747-8 has a high amount of C seats. Anyone have the exact amount-on my phone ATM? I would go with UA 777 F.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
Yes, the UA F is a beautiful and comfortable hard product. Since June, they've also improved the food a lot, and usually the service is fine - nothing spectacular. The nice thing about UA F is that you have much more privacy and personal space than C on most airlines. So I guess it's what you value. I've flown LH C but only in Europe where it's not so great.

(I *was* amused by the sight of LH FA's wiping hand smudges off the overhead bins - and they literally ran down the aisles with the food service
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:28 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
Got to fly LH C from FRA-DEL a few weeks ago in the upper deck. I love the new plane smell, the food was pretty good and the seat very comfortable. I didn't find it that much different from the new UA C seats, though. What a plane, though.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
My dilemma is LH C on 747-8 or UA F on 744. I've got row 1 on the 744 FRASFO or I could take LH C to IAD. My thoughts are 1) not having to deal with winter wx issues in IAD, 2) UA F on a 744 in row 1 seems to be decent, 3) LH C may not feel as private in light of more seats, 4) longer flt=hopefully more sleep.

Ultimately destination is SAN; I think I'd take my chances with the wx if LH F opens up...realize LH service is probably better overall but I've heard mixed reviews on C in general so maybe its a tossup.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 9:57 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Honestly, I'd pick LH C in 747-8 over any UA international F.

Much better value, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.