Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA vs. LH - Biz vs. First

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Agreed, but we are comparing LH to UA not to EK or SQ in this thread.

My thoughts -

Hard product

New LH F > UA F > Old LH F > UA Biz > New LH Biz > Old LH Biz >old UA Biz.

Soft Product

LH F (either version, big time) > UA F (barely beats LH C) > LH Biz > UA Biz

Various Comments:

Old LH F hard product - I found the bed perfectly comfortable, better than the UA bed which I found narrower, because of the sloping sides. I have never encountered the problem which ijgordon refers to of staring into someone else's face. As to the seat not going fully flat, this slight incline, counteracts the angle at which the plane is flying. Inflight entertainment has never meant that much to me, so old LH F smaller screen wasn't a big problem.

New LH C Hard product. In the angled version, there isn't a problem with the foot separator being effective. It may appear flimsy, but it isn't. My problem is that the space that is left for the feet, is just a bit too narrow. it is ok as a food rest, but not good for sleeping.

Soft Product -

Unlike, some, I find UA's food mediocre and their wines are the basic plonk which are served in chain restaurants, no matter what the class of service. Occasionally, I feel that way about LH C, but am, more often than not satisfied.

Service levels on LH are consistently better than UA. Very rarely, you will get a great UA F crew, but most are just going through the motions. In LH it is the reverse - very rarely you will get an LH crew that is going through the motions, but most of the time, they are really on top of their game.
+1 Spot on!!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyer IAH
I know you did not mention 'middle seat', but I just do not understand why you would be 'on top of your seatmate' on someone sitting next to you
I said "practically on top of your seatmate" which is different from "literally" on top of your seatmate. "On top of" is also an American idiom that in common usage means, simply, "really close." Ugh.

The other thing worth mentioning about the old LH F seat is that it bounces a lot in turbulence when fully reclined. The seat back, in "full" recline (if you should be so lucky -- the poor chap in my picture above clearly isn't just slightly inclined to counter the nose-up attitude of the aircraft) isn't resting on anything. The newer "suite" style seats on almost all airlines are a lot more solid.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I said "practically on top of your seatmate" which is different from "literally" on top of your seatmte. "On top of" is also an American idiom that in common usage means, simply, "really close." Ugh.

The other thing worth mentioning about the old LH F seat is that it bounces a lot in turbulence when fully reclined. The seat back, in "full" recline (if you should be so lucky -- the poor chap in my picture above clearly isn't just slightly inclined to counter the nose-up attitude of the aircraft) isn't resting on anything. The newer "suite" style seats on almost all airlines are a lot more solid.
I know the differece between literally and practically, so we agree to disagree. Happy flying on UA F, I'll stick to LH F (either new or old), which is far superior to UA F.

My thoughts -

Hard product

Soft Product

Various Comments:

Old LH F hard product - I found the bed perfectly comfortable, better than the UA bed which I found narrower, because of the sloping sides. I have never encountered the problem which ijgordon refers to of staring into someone else's face. As to the seat not going fully flat, this slight incline, counteracts the angle at which the plane is flying. Inflight entertainment has never meant that much to me, so old LH F smaller screen wasn't a big problem.

Soft Product -

Unlike, some, I find UA's food mediocre and their wines are the basic plonk which are served in chain restaurants, no matter what the class of service. Occasionally, I feel that way about LH C, but am, more often than not satisfied.

Service levels on LH are consistently better than UA.
Could not agree more, +1

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 29, 2012 at 10:29 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Of course I've only seen photographs and read comments by people who've flown on one of those birds which claim to come with the new C. There are two 748s and 3 A333s with these seats so far by the way.
We flew on one of the new A333 IAD-MUC in Jun and old A330 MUC-IAD in Jul. The new F cabin and seats are great, significantly better than the old F. IFE screens are large, like the UA new screens, much nicer than the old F. The new F also has privacy screens that you can raise.

I did not see the new C cabin.

IAD-LHR is one of the shortest TATL flights, so F may not be worth it. However, I would fly IAD-FRA-LHR on the new LH F for the in flight and FRA FCT experiences.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyer IAH
I know the differece between literally and practically, so we agree to disagree. Happy flying on UA F, I'll stick to LH F (either new or old), which is far superior to UA F.
Well, I may not be "happy" but I'd certainly be more comfortable.

Could not agree more, +1
Wait, now you are agreeing that the UA F hard product is > than the Old LH F hard product?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by TGGDEL
So, I have a related question - am looking to fly NYC - CPH, currently I have two options.
UA F through BRU, or LH C (748i) through IAD and FRA.
I'm torn - UA is only one stop, in F, overnight, bigger seats etc. LH is new C, which is fun, but longer trip, is the soft product that much better on LH?
Thanks
Originally Posted by StingWest
Avoiding a 2nd stop-over, esp IAD, should be a priority! (and FRA's not fun either) Given these choices, there's really no contest: UA F, meaning the new UA F (not the old F still out there on some 777's), is great! The seat is huge and comfortable, lots of storage space and privacy. The service is generally good, occasionally great, and once in a blue-moon poor. They have improved the food a lot in my opinion, since June 1.
Definitely agree, but I'd even take old UA F over new LH C for the far superior seat, privacy and roominess. Also, LH C service is nothing special; the LH service only shines in F.

Plus, as noted, one connection beats two, and those connections are especially lousy transit points, especially FRA.

Agreed, but we are comparing LH to UA not to EK or SQ in this thread.

My thoughts -

Hard product

Soft Product

Various Comments:

New LH C Hard product. In the angled version, there isn't a problem with the foot separator being effective. It may appear flimsy, but it isn't. My problem is that the space that is left for the feet, is just a bit too narrow. it is ok as a food rest, but not good for sleeping.

Soft Product -

Service levels on LH are consistently better than UA. Very rarely, you will get a great UA F crew, but most are just going through the motions. In LH it is the reverse - very rarely you will get an LH crew that is going through the motions, but most of the time, they are really on top of their game.
Very nice summary! And thanks for the info about LH new C and the foot separator, which sounds not as bad as some write-ups at the LH forum originally depicted it.

I'd differ in a couple of minor respects:

While LH C service is ok and more uniform than UA, IME it's nothing special.

For a couple in F, I'd even take old LH F over new UA F for the far superior service, better food and access to the great LH F lounges in Germany, even though the UA F hard product is better.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..New LH F > UA F > Old LH F > UA Biz > New LH Biz > Old LH Biz >old UA Biz..
I for one like both LH F products better than both UA F products (which I find remarkably similar btw and both too hard to sleep on for my quirks).

I have not been in the new LH C and hence have no idea where to sort it.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'd differ in a couple of minor respects:

While LH C service is ok and more uniform than UA, IME it's nothing special.

For a couple in F, I'd even take old LH F over new UA F for the far superior service, better food and access to the great LH F lounges in Germany, even though the UA F hard product is better.
I don't think that we differ even as much as it might have appeared in the posts, as I pretty much agree with both these comments. LH C service isn't anything special, because its design is clearly a C service, without the added touches that you will find on some Middle Eastern and Asian airlines. However, I find the execution of the service is almost always quite well. When I walk on the plane, there is someone who will take my jacket and hang it up. Staff just seem to take their job professionally.

I agree with you completely regarding LH F, and that is just considering the onboard product. when you add in the lounges in Munich and especially the Frankfurt First-Class Terminal with its oh-so easy security and top-quality food and drink, LH F is a no-brainer.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
UA GF 767 vs. LH F A330

I have an upcoming award flight from MSY to GVA, currently routed through UA in Global First: MSY-EWR-GVA with an almost 8hr layover in EWR. Found an option to go MSY-CLT-MUC-GVA with MSY-CLT on US and CLT-MUC in LH F on an A330. Having never experienced either International First products I could use the helpful advice of Flyertalkers. Thanks in advance.

It appears based on EF that it's the NEW LH First on CLT-MUC my flight date.

Last edited by iahkid2014; Aug 18, 2012 at 9:09 pm Reason: ETA LH New First
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by txrose86

I flew UA C LHR-IAH returning, and thought it was awesome - both the hard and soft product. I've never flown F, so I can't compare to that, but it was the best service I've ever had on a plane.
Well you clearly have not been on enough planes....
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Gold
Recently flew UA Biz (new product) 777 overnight and LH Biz (new product) 748 returning.

IMO service on LH was far superior, as was the food. I never expect the in-flight food to rival anything I will eat in a restaurant at my destination, but the LH 1st course was excellent. UAs salad was the best part of the meal for me, as usual. The LH main course was certainly not gourmet but more edible than UA's tough beef. I also prefer the option of a cheese course or other dessert to the ever-present UA ice cream. LH breads are excellent with a wide variety of choices. The German chocolate offered at the end of the flight was a nice gesture as well.

I think the new seats on the two airlines are comparable in C. I did not find the foot divider flimsy either and would admit the foot well space is a bit tight, but sleeping on my side it was not a problem. The narrow foot well was balanced by being able to drop the wall armrest to increase seat width, as well as the private feel of the 748 upper deck and the seat storage areas (where there is no seat storage around the new UA C seat).

The 748 also offers the option of not having to step over someone fully reclined at all if choosing to sit downstairs in the middle of the aircraft. Those seats also have larger footwell areas and larger divider space between them.

As for old LH C, I pretty much avoid it as the seats are no better than USAirways Envoy. The service does not make up for the hard product IMO.

In F, the new LH F hard product now matches their great service and food service. The movable ottoman is great for relaxing and provides a large space for storage. If going through FRA, the FCT almost makes old LH F worth it over any UA alternative.

I realize service can be hit or miss. However, I have never had a bad experience on LH C or F. I only occasionally find great service on UA (F or C). As an example, it took 4-5 requests over several hours on UA to address my IFE which froze up about 90 minutes into the flight. The first request was toward the end of meal service. I get it, bad timing to do anything. However, the next few hours were repeated trips to the galley (where the FAs were all chatting) to ask someone for help. They reset the system, mentioned the purser was aware, and that was it. Only with 2 hours left in the flight was I offered a different seat. In contrast, LH service staff have always taken ownership of a problem for me until it is fully-addressed either way. They also seem much more available, passing through the cabin throughout the flight rather than spending most of it chatting with their colleagues and non-revs.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by ani90
Well you clearly have not been on enough planes....
Or maybe I just happened to get a flight that had very good service from my perspective. The FA was very friendly without being overbearing, and always around when I needed something. Unless you were on the same flight, I don't see how you can disagree. I may not fly as much as other people, but I don't see how that invalidates my opinion.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Choosing LH products SAN-MXP

People are referring to old and new LH products.

Is the old LH F on everything BUT the A333, A380 and 748i? Are conversions happening?

Thank you,

M59
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59
People are referring to old and new LH products.

Is the old LH F on everything BUT the A333, A380 and 748i? Are conversions happening?

Thank you,

M59
There is a whole thread dedicated to this in the LH forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...it-thread.html
Old Oct 5, 2012, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
C/J on LH A330 is horrid. The seat is slanted and doesn't even have the standard headphone jack - you are forced to use the crappy LH headphones (without noise cancellation) that come with the seat and that are covered with all the germs - and probably earwax - from all the pax who used them before you. Oh, and to make things worse, FAs don't know whether the seat has standard jacks and where the existing jacks are - you have to look for the concealed jacks and headphones yourself.

UA new BF is much much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.