UA vs. LH - Biz vs. First

Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking to take my family to England next year using award miles and am ready to book if something comes up that works for my schedule. I have enough miles for First both ways for all travelers using Saver award miles provided there is availability, but would be ok with most other options other than economy both ways (would really prefer First or Business outbound to arrive a bit more rested).

Looks like some current options outbound are:
1. UA Business on a 777 IAD-LHR
2. LH Business on a A330 via Frankfurt

Is one of these options vastly superior? Or should I keep waiting for the possibility of First on either UA or LH.

I flew UA First to LHR about 7 years ago and really appreciated the expedited customs and the arrival lounge to take a shower, so am leaning towards waiting on UA First, but maybe someone would say that is a long-shot and advise otherwise.

Thanks!

Cheers,
HalfSwede

Last edited by halfswede; Jul 28, 2012 at 3:55 pm
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I don't think any FRA-based A330s have the new business class cabin yet, so in my view UA is a winner in C based on seat. There are those who object to UA's 2-4-2 arrangement aboard the 3-cabin 777, but I will take flat over angled any day of the week, and twice on Sunday, especially for an overnight transatlantic leg. On a daylight trip, food, beverage, connectivity and entertainment are more important for me, so LH becomes more competitive in that regard.

LH First is miles ahead of United in almost all measures, but you probably won't find O inventory until <2 weeks from your flight, despite what united.com tries to tell (or sell) you! I don't think East Coast-EU is a good value for F awards, but if you choose to go that route, book a UA flight as a placeholder and make change closer-in when Lufthansa availability is better. Also, consider a C out/F return combined award for better value and inflight experience.

Last edited by EWR764; Jul 28, 2012 at 3:47 pm
Old Jul 28, 2012, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
I don't think any FRA-based A330s have the new business class cabin yet, so in my view UA is a winner in C based on seat. There are those who object to UA's 2-4-2 arrangement aboard the 3-cabin 777, but I will take flat over angled any day of the week, and twice on Sunday, especially for an overnight transatlantic leg. On a daylight trip, food, beverage, connectivity and entertainment become more important for me, so LH becomes more competitive in that regard.

LH First is miles ahead of United in almost all measures, but you probably won't find O inventory until <2 weeks from your flight, despite what united.com tries to tell (or sell) you! I don't think East Coast-EU is a good value for F awards, but if you choose to go that route, book a UA flight as a placeholder and make change closer-in when availability is better.
Excellent advice. LH F > UA F > UA C > LH C. The one caveat is that LH C beats UA old C, but I believe it is all UA new C on the IAD-LHR route or at least that it will be by next year.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EWR764
I don't think East Coast-EU is a good value for F awards, but if you choose to go that route, book a UA flight as a placeholder and make change closer-in when Lufthansa availability is better.
If I book UA flight now as a "placholder" and change to LH F, will there by any kind of change fee? Does that fact that UA IAD-LHR becomes LH IAD-FRA-LHR make any difference?

Similarly, if I book UA C now as a "placeholder" IAD-LHR, will there by any kind of change fee if I 'upgrade' to UA F?

Thanks for the reply!

Cheers,
HalfSwede
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold

No fees for plat and higher.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:27 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
For the last few months late afternoon IAD-FRA (LH419) has been operated by the brand new 748i with new F and new C seats 5/6 times a week. IAD-MUC has been operated by one of the A333s with new C most days.

However, next summer's schedule is not yet certain as it might depend on the delivery schedule of more 748i since LH is planning to fly the 748i to India and LAX as well.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 7:00 pm

United C is just so much better than LH C.

UA has lie flat beds , better food and wine.

I prefer the UA staff vs those of LH as well.

If only UA would stop all of their useless announcements over the PA system!
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by halfswede
If I book UA flight now as a "placholder" and change to LH F, will there by any kind of change fee? Does that fact that UA IAD-LHR becomes LH IAD-FRA-LHR make any difference?

Similarly, if I book UA C now as a "placeholder" IAD-LHR, will there by any kind of change fee if I 'upgrade' to UA F?

Thanks for the reply!

Cheers,
HalfSwede
The fee schedule for award changes, redeposits, reissues, etc. can be found here. In general, it will be based on your status. Keep in mind that most actual LH F inventory is released inside of 14 days prior to departure, so that may inform your expectations as to planning for fees.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum

I don't actually lie flat in a bed, not fully reclined, when i sleep so prefer LH. I prefer the LH food, service and plane layout.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Excellent advice. LH F > UA F
I haven't been on UA F, but I will say that LH's old F seats are terrible for an overnight flight. On that basis, I would consider UA F over LH F depending on whether you knew what configuration you'd get on LH.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I haven't been on UA F, but I will say that LH's old F seats are terrible for an overnight flight. On that basis, I would consider UA F over LH F depending on whether you knew what configuration you'd get on LH.
The new UA F suite has two advantages over the previous generation LH First Class seat: bed comfort (though I do not find old LH F to be terrible for sleeping) and entertainment.

In all other regards LH does a much better job, in my estimation. Aboard a reconfigured A330/340/744 or new 74H/A380, LH F is dramatically better.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Check the reviews of the new catering - I have *zero* complaints with their product, minus occasionally indifferent crews.

That being said, the LHR based crews are my hands-down favorite in the network.

Cheers,
Adam
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:30 am

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Originally Posted by ozflier
United C is just so much better than LH C.

UA has lie flat beds , better food and wine.

I prefer the UA staff vs those of LH as well.

If only UA would stop all of their useless announcements over the PA system!
New LH C > new UA C though....
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by cl.lurker
New LH C > new UA C though....
No. They are the same hard stools they have on all their birds. Just on the 748, they let it recline more.

The Airbus will have the old seats or a long time to come.

LH Biz food is worse than UA C food IMO but that is a matter of taste.

For the few minutes ride from IAD to LHR, I would not book F, no matter how cheap it is. I can hardly be regarded as a proper 'overnight' flight.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
On such a short flight, go C. However, definitely go UA C, as LH C is garbage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.