Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by fragment54
Aren't we approaching 100% on the hobo theorem?
Lol I think you're right
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:36 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by as219
I think you're overlooking the huge difference between corporations like UA and the mom-and-pop businesses in my neighborhood. Corporations care only about the bottom line: returning value to stockholders. ...We're talking about people here, with human values as well as a bottom line. I wouldn't dream of taking even the smallest advantage of such places because I know and trust they don't take advantage of me. So let's not transform UA in to some kind of family bodega on the corner. UA certainly doesn't treat me like my local greengrocer, and vice versa....
I don't disagree with any of that. And I have been pretty vocal about the "new" UA's huge annoyances (Type B vouchers that take 56 days to ticket, two itins STILL stuck in ticketing purgatory because I used e-certs, the Map of Dreams idiocy, and several of the other sorts of frustrations that others on this thread have eloquently named).

But at the end of the day, my point isn't really about UA, it's about me: I prefer to try (and certainly not always successfully!) to live by treating others as I would want to be treated.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Everyone that disagrees with you in not "jealous" because they did not get it on it. I could have gotten in on it and chose not to. Not because I thought it was wrong but because I don't need a free trip so badly that I would make up an excuse to fly. Personally, I don't feel sorry in the least for UA and i hope that those of you that got in on this have a great trip. But on the other hand, those of you that did get in on it have no right in the future to consider yourselves some of UA's best customers. In fact UA would be correct in considering you some of its least desirable customers but that UA's problem and yours. I just wish everyone would just shut up about it and fly. For those of you that have been abused by UA's policys in the past, It's kind of great that you extracted some revenge on United. But now your even and anyone that takes these flights should really cool it about putting United down in the future. I don't see SQ/EK/CX giving you a first class ticket anywhere for 4 miles

Oh please. SQ/EK/CX have functional IT systems which are not causing glitches of all kinds every week. They are also not actively screwing over their passengers on a regular basis. United will continue to screw over people without regard to whether they are their best customers or their worst customers.

Your best comment is just shut up and fly which seems to be exactly the attitude of UA management. We will do what we want and you will not say a word and continue to be fleeced of your money.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Uainsider any updates?

I checked United's website, even asked Alex for any offfical word or updates. To my knowlege none of " Everybody" has been contacted and several MP members have reported flying.

In the past United is on record as saying its the right thing to do in honoring mistakes no matter the cost. If it was right then what has changed. Has United's committment changed. Honoring your committments.

United officallly has not contacted me and I intend to fly. A post in FT is not a formal declaration especially Hello Everybody.

Last edited by jwchef1975; Jul 19, 2012 at 8:49 am Reason: I am happy with United making good on this.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:47 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

There's now a trip report on Dan's Deals....
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.ph...4863#msg264863
and here's a photo gallery....

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...13133454720849

Looks like a nice trip for 4 miles...

FDW
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
If UA gets out of the mess and doesn't have to honour the tickets can KE make a claim of unfair treatment?
Why? Its not the same circiumstances. Cash ticket vs award ticket. If it were the same, the precedent would already be set and this would be resolved already.

Even with the 4 miles everyone falls into different categories. Not everyone's itin ticketed the same. Some had all miles taken, some had 4. Some had receipts that showed only the small number of miles and some showed both.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Anyone watching tv? A friend just told me MSNBC aired a segment on this story a few minutes ago and said it seems like they are going to honor most tickets, but she doesn't know which ones they are not honoring. Those are my friends words, not mine nor MSNBC's.

Can anyone turn on the news and see what is going on?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:51 am

I've only been able to follow pieces of this discussion as it seems to have grown exponentially.

Regardless of how this all plays out, the bottom line is UA has inferior backend applications that they still can't get a hold of. Rather than fixing them it seems as though they want to squeeze as much as they can out of the consumer. I know all airlines may run into these errors but this is just the most recent application bomb that has hit UA in the past 4 months. I am still curious on how they test these processes internally. And shouldn't they have some type of escalation process. The airline business is a 24/7 365 day business. I believe this issue began sometime over the weekend and was available for some time. I would think that a huge issue like this should be caught within no more than 2 hours, blocked from consumers until it is fixed, and a few responses/resolutions should already be in the works (regardless whether it starts noon on Wednesday or 2am Sunday morning). However, it appears it took them forever to catch the issue and by that time the bomb had already exploded and now they are scrambling to course correct.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I would certainly not want to defend a failure to report a known potential material adjustment in my financial statements and quarterly earnings release before the SEC (Plaintiff Exhibit 1) . Note that UA has followed the practice of filing the 10Q's on the day of or the day following earnings release. Additionally, auditors never like to see a difference between the release and the Q.
The more important issue, is the fact they have had a severe break-down of internal controls and perhaps a violation of the Sarbanes-Oxley act. Pricing and ticketing systems should have a myriad of control and logic associated with them to prevent such errors. As they have demonstrated they have none, so how can an auditor or upper management attest they have confidence that the proper controls are in place so the financial statements are complete & accurate? It's one thing to load a mistake fare, but another to show an award at face value, only to have it settle the transaction at some unrelated amount.

Last edited by sonomawine; Jul 19, 2012 at 9:03 am
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nova08
I've only been able to follow pieces of this discussion as it seems to have grown exponentially.

Regardless of how this all plays out, the bottom line is UA has inferior backend applications that they still can't get a hold of. Rather than fixing them it seems as though they want to squeeze as much as they can out of the consumer. I know all airlines may run into these errors but this is just the most recent application bomb that has hit UA in the past 4 months. I am still curious on how they test these processes internally. And shouldn't they have some type of escalation process. The airline business is a 24/7 365 day business. I believe this issue began sometime over the weekend and was available for some time. I would think that a huge issue like this should be caught within no more than 2 hours, blocked from consumers until it is fixed, and a few responses/resolutions should already be in the works (regardless whether it starts noon on Wednesday or 2am Sunday morning). However, it appears it took them forever to catch the issue and by that time the bomb had already exploded and now they are scrambling to course correct.
Exactly and this is UA's wake up call. Fix your IT infrastructure or risk the consequences which could be fatal for the company.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by uva185
Anyone watching tv? A friend just told me MSNBC aired a segment on this story a few minutes ago and said it seems like they are going to honor most tickets, but she doesn't know which ones they are not honoring. Those are my friends words, not mine nor MSNBC's.

I dont think the news people know any more than we do. I bet they also said this was the first test of the new DOT rules.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by MSYnola
every hour after the deal goes dead, the percentage that it will be honored goes up 1%
If we start the clock at Sunday 3pm EDT, aren't we close to 100% soon ?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, if this does get honored, what do you think happens to folks who got charged full mileage when the receipts reflect only 4 miles? When I try to cancel online, it only offers me 4 miles refunded (not the 320k they charged).

Just curious as I agree it seems a little strange that UA claims they've contacted people but no one has been actually contacted and folks have flown.

It's not like they can't see who purchased HKG destination or connecting flights during that booking window and get this data and start the process.

Seems to me that they're looking into the new rules themselves and issued the blanket statement initially just to cover their asses until they figure out what they are legally obligated to do....kinda like how on Law & Order, the defendant always pleads Not Guilty before you figure out your strategy and work out an agreement with the DA

Originally Posted by uva185

It's NBC News isn't it? Anyway, have heard and seen nothing on the wires. I DO believe, however, that the incorrect AP story that this is a "first test" for the post-purchase price increase protection DOT rule, is good for us ("us" being those who actually care about flying, as opposed to scolding those who want to fly). There are 149 stories on Google News on this now, up from four yesterday morning. If that's the mainstream narrative, it puts a lot of pressure on DOT to make sure the regulations are enforced, and a lot on pressure to UA to either accept DOT enforcement or seek a settlement with ticket holders.

On the morality and ethics question, I always follow the Golden Rule in life. I believe companies deserve the same amount of loyalty from customers and employees that it is willing to demonstrate to those same customers and employees. Any customer or employee who gives a company any more loyalty than what it gets in return is foolish.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
There's now a trip report on Dan's Deals....
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.ph...4863#msg264863
and here's a photo gallery....
I loved the idea of asking UA for compensation for the lack of Kosher meal.

With the arrogance they've had and contempt they've shown towards customers, it might be a good taste of their own medicine. LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.