Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Last night several said they were going today

Where are the reports? I have read and seen the trip LH trip report, and last nights Champagne selections. I am looking for info on what people are finding this AM. FTG seems to have a point that United might just leave it alone and honor the tickets. Afterall, United has said nothing, and so far has kept with previous statements of honoring mistake fares as the right thing to do. I take them at their word. I think Shannon might have spoken out on early information and United has reconsidered after anaylizing this further. I have asked for clarification and nothing has been given. Celebrate if you are in, F is full on my trips and I am certain we'll all enjoy the flight, and have stories to tell. Hell even my wife is excited, and she hate the game.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by chasingthedream
I don't understand why the new management is choosing to alienate their most loyal customers.
In what world are your most loyal customers taking to the internet to alert all the other most loyal customers of an obvious mistake and making sure they take advantage of it as often as they can to screw you?

If you ran a diner and a guy came in every single day and bought a pack of gum, but shoplifted a $20 steak, would you consider him a loyal customer?

Yeah, this is exactly the type of customer every business wants, one who first thinks they can get to Asia for four miles, and then complains to the government about it when they think maybe they won't be going.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Originally Posted by jwchef1975
Where are the reports? I have read and seen the trip LH trip report, and last nights Champagne selections. I am looking for info on what people are finding this AM. FTG seems to have a point that United might just leave it alone and honor the tickets. Afterall, United has said nothing, and so far has kept with previous statements of honoring mistake fares as the right thing to do. I take them at their word. I think Shannon might have spoken out on early information and United has reconsidered after anaylizing this further. I have asked for clarification and nothing has been given. Celebrate if you are in, F is full on my trips and I am certain we'll all enjoy the flight, and have stories to tell. Hell even my wife is excited, and she hate the game.

Lucky you My wife said she doesn't care about flyertalk or cheap flights she wants to stay home on facebook
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
Could someone explain to me why TPG and the airfare watchdog are all against this fare. Every article I read I see quotes from them saying its immoral and they are against it.
Don't you get it? It was perfectly ethical for airfare watchdog to tell customers how to exploit programming errors so they avoid paying fuel surcharges (Headline: "Want to Make your International Fuel Surcharge Disappear? Here's a Trick"), but grossly unethical for customers to exploit a programming error on united.com. I assume if airfare watchdog had broken the story first and gotten the eyeballs on its site and the rise in advertising revenues, the quote would have come out differently.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Chevelter
Are those who take these flights required to report the received value to the Internal Revenue Service? Would United Airlines report the value to the IRS?
The perceived value is the value paid. And it looks like taxes were already collected from the ticket, so this is no taxation issue.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by cordelli
In what world are your most loyal customers taking to the internet to alert all the other most loyal customers of an obvious mistake and making sure they take advantage of it as often as they can to screw you?

If you ran a diner and a guy came in every single day and bought a pack of gum, but shoplifted a $20 steak, would you consider him a loyal customer?

Yeah, this is exactly the type of customer every business wants, one who first thinks they can get to Asia for four miles, and then complains to the government about it when they think maybe they won't be going.
What if you had a customer that bought a pack of gum for $1 every day and one day you accidentally charged him $1 for a $20 steak. Would you make him bring back the $20 steak and risk losing his $365 / year revenue due to your own mistake?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I like how the guy from AFWD gets on his high horse in the end of the AP/Yahoo article how we should treat the airline since we knew it was a mistake.

This is from the same jerk who to gain 15 mins of fame stole one of the first FDs off FT and posted it on his blog in a step by step guide to dump fuel resulting in that closed in a day.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: *W Plat, Hyatt PLT,PC RA Plat, Virgin Gld, CO Gld, DL Gld, HH Diam, KL Gld
Hi all I'm an FT'er too, thats me in the links below.

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
There's now a trip report on Dan's Deals....
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.ph...4863#msg264863
and here's a photo gallery....

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...13133454720849

Looks like a nice trip for 4 miles...

FDW
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Originally Posted by 3xter
Welcome, "E" from Dan's Deals!

You are our hero for being the first - hopefully the first of many
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The perceived value is the value paid. And it looks like taxes were already collected from the ticket, so this is no taxation issue.
I think what he was suggesting is that since everyone here agrees that it was a mistake, that UA send a 1099 for miscellaneous income for the difference between what you paid and what the real posted value of the award was.

The IRS has a ruling that is still on the books that they are currently not enforcing that allows valuation and taxation of frequent flyer points, so UA could probably do something like this if they were really vindictive.

See here:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...0/ai_21183386/

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 19, 2012 at 10:50 am
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by uva185
What if you had a customer that bought a pack of gum for $1 every day and one day you accidentally charged him $1 for a $20 steak. Would you make him bring back the $20 steak and risk losing his $365 / year revenue due to your own mistake?
No......but I certainly would not care if he ever gave me business again. Like I have said before. I have no problem with the people that took advantage of this. But come on, you can't honestly think United wants or cares about your future business or how much you've given them in the past. The people that took advantage of this are not desirable customers for United any longer..period. For someone to first get a few of these mistake fares and then say they are one of Uniteds "best" customers is laughable
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uva185
Valuable customers do not spend time reading flyer talk and blogs every half hour trying to catch an error fare - they typically have jobs...

I find this "we here are very important to you, united, don't you dare to upset up" talk rather amusing... amusing and disappointing as it takes away the credibility that can help to address many real issues
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Did you have the miles in account?

Originally Posted by 3xter

Did you have the miles in account, if not did they deduct the 4 or 8 miles?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: *W Plat, Hyatt PLT,PC RA Plat, Virgin Gld, CO Gld, DL Gld, HH Diam, KL Gld
I hope so too wishing everyone luck!!

Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
Welcome, "E" from Dan's Deals!

You are our hero for being the first - hopefully the first of many
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Gamecock
649 posts later...
just wanted to point out that you seriously under estimated this one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.