Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by rtool
The balance due on my screen clearly showed 4 miles + tax before I had to input my credit card info.

You're 100% entitled to a refund on your armchair law degree.
+1

Originally Posted by iahphx
So we're 3 1/2 days into this fiasco and there's been absolutely no attempt by UA to individually contact its MileagePlus members about this issue -- even after it's hit the national media. Heck, I even got an email from UA about errors in the fairly obscure "Map Your Dreams" promo.

Just to retain some credibility, you would think we'd get an email explaining their actions and informing members what will happen with any of the award tickets booked under the error. I guess it's possible that they're still deciding what to do, but you would think you could get that done in 3 business days.

This is certainly not UA's finest moment. I'd even argue that the response is a worse bungle than the programming error that generated the problem.
I wouldn't be surprised if the lawyers, and other relevant departments, are circling the wagons right now, trying to figure out the best course of action.

Option A) Don't honor any tickets and incur DOT fines

Option B) Show the customers that we value them, and honor the tickets.

Hmm, let's go with option A!!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Originally Posted by rtool
The balance due on my screen clearly showed 4 miles + tax before I had to input my credit card info.

You're 100% entitled to a refund on your armchair law degree.
Let me interpret his words for you:

I will not let your guys fly to Hong Kong!!! by any means:

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 18, 2012 at 8:51 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So we're 3 1/2 days into this fiasco and there's been absolutely no attempt by UA to individually contact its MileagePlus members about this issue -- even after it's hit the national media. Heck, I even got an email from UA about errors in the fairly obscure "Map Your Dreams" promo.
Presumably there's a lot of back and forth going on with the DOT since the DOT reached out to UA in response to the complaints. I would think they couldn't really contact customers if they didn't know what they could tell them (without risking fines).

I think it's been mentioned, but I wouldn't be surprised if a "compromise" allows those booked on partners to be re-booked on UA metal. Pretty sure that's what AA did when they had a problem sometime in the past year with a mistake fare for CX F. (Of course initially they tried to cancel the tickets or charge the difference before the DOT got involved.)

But of course the regulations are much more specific now, so who knows.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyersky1
It's not my first international, and hopefully that wouldn't cause any additional scrutiny.
Last time I flew UA out of EWR Internationally, I checked in at a kiosk and provided the international documentation for myself by swiping my passport through a slot, then just dropped my bag. I don't believe the CSR even looked at my documentation. You might be in even better shape if you're just with a carry-on since you won't be in front of a human at all.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon

I think it's been mentioned, but I wouldn't be surprised if a "compromise" allows those booked on partners to be re-booked on UA metal.
Sounds good to me..... as stated, I stupidly booked saver awards and had to connect (in Asia). I'd be just as happy (happier actually) get one of the SFO/EWR/ORD non-stops in the same cabin. Of course, those are now full for my dates!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:53 pm

This is certainly not UA's finest moment. I'd even argue that the response is a worse bungle than the programming error that generated the problem.
+1.

Even an email saying something along the lines of "we will contact you about it".

I haven't seen this mentioned:

United noticed an error three days ago. At some point it would seem that if they don't contact the customer, it should be seen as acceptance of the "faulty" terms.

IOW, if you notice an issue in something, and don't contact the other party, shouldn't that make for a legally binding agreement?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 18, 2012 at 9:01 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by justchris82
Last time I flew UA out of EWR Internationally, I checked in at a kiosk and provided the international documentation for myself by swiping my passport through a slot, then just dropped my bag. I don't believe the CSR even looked at my documentation. You might be in even better shape if you're just with a carry-on since you won't be in front of a human at all.
if you fly to mainland China they check your passport make sure you have a visa.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25
if you fly to mainland China they check your passport make sure you have a visa.
That's what I love about HKG!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Originally Posted by teddy25
Correct. sometimes there is a second screening at the gate by airlines employee to make sure everyone has a valid entry document.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Yosef

United noticed an error three days ago. At some point it would seem that if they don't contact the customer, it should be seen as acceptance of the "faulty" terms.

IOW, if you notice an issue in something, and don't contact the other party, shouldn't that make for a legally binding agreement?

Laches, waiver, estoppel, pick any of them; they all require longer than 72 hours.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
If we're just connecting through Beijing we don't need a visa, correct? As long as we don't leave the airport?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Majikow
If we're just connecting through Beijing we don't need a visa, correct? As long as we don't leave the airport?
perfect thread for your question
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by Majikow
I believe if you don't leave the international side of the airport you will not need a visa for 24 hours. you can also get a transit visa in the immigration line.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

Option B) Show the customers that we value them, and honor the tickets.
Yes, these are precisely the customers whom United values the most.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Yosef
+1.

Even an email saying something along the lines of "we will contact you about it".

No...because a green name posting on Flyertalk is an "official" announcement and it is incumbent on all customers who bought those tickets and had them ticketed and confirmed to read and check FT, not assume the tickets are valid after 4 days before making other plans like hotels etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.