FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:46 pm
FriendlySkies
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by rtool
The balance due on my screen clearly showed 4 miles + tax before I had to input my credit card info.

You're 100% entitled to a refund on your armchair law degree.
+1

Originally Posted by iahphx
So we're 3 1/2 days into this fiasco and there's been absolutely no attempt by UA to individually contact its MileagePlus members about this issue -- even after it's hit the national media. Heck, I even got an email from UA about errors in the fairly obscure "Map Your Dreams" promo.

Just to retain some credibility, you would think we'd get an email explaining their actions and informing members what will happen with any of the award tickets booked under the error. I guess it's possible that they're still deciding what to do, but you would think you could get that done in 3 business days.

This is certainly not UA's finest moment. I'd even argue that the response is a worse bungle than the programming error that generated the problem.
I wouldn't be surprised if the lawyers, and other relevant departments, are circling the wagons right now, trying to figure out the best course of action.

Option A) Don't honor any tickets and incur DOT fines

Option B) Show the customers that we value them, and honor the tickets.

Hmm, let's go with option A!!