Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Tickets cancelled?

I have a situation here - my 4-mile flight was confirmed but not ticketed on Sunday:

PVG-PEK (CA)
PEK-BKK (CA)
BKK-USM (TG)
//
USM-BKK (TG)
BKK-HKG (ET)
HKG-CTU (CA)
CTU-PVG (CA)

After I paid taxes, I got an email confirmation saying the fare is 4-mile plus tax, but never received an eTicket Itinerary. I was speculating this is due to a leg ran by ET, because on my account, the ET leg never shows up.

Yesterday, charges for all my other itineraries were posted on my credit card except this one, and the reservation status on My Account shows:

Thank you for choosing United Airlines. Your purchase is confirmed. You will be promptly notified once the internal processing of your reservation has been finalized so that you can request additional receipts, export to Microsoft Outlook, refund or change your flight, view/change seats, check-in, or email or print your itinerary.
Whereas my other ticketed reservations show:

This reservation was ticketed and confirmed on Sun., Jul. 15, 2012 at 10:24 a.m. Central Time.
I held back, expecting everything will fall in the right place. However, just now I logged into MP account and this reservation only shows a bare bone:

BKK-USM
//
USM-BKK

I called both CA and ET asking about other legs. Both answered those legs are still in their systems but showing "on hold" and not ticketed.

I know since UA didn't ticket this itinerary, I may have little recourse to ask them to ticket it right now, but would like to glean some feedback from experts here to make an educated decision.

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
I also have a flight tomorrow. Reservation is fine for now. Managed to check in. However, couldn't get the boarding pass because my "documentation needs to be verified by a UA representative" at the airport. I guess that's the passport because it's international travel. I had to input the passport number and all the details before i checked in.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:28 pm

I think in the case of the non ticketed res you have about a 0.0% chance of getting it honored but who knows.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Loose-Loose Situation

What a mess for United ...yet another technical problem impacting their image and bottom line. They really need to get their act together.

I'd be curious just how many tickets were sold. If it was just a dozen or two, UA should eat it and avoid the negative press. Maybe there were hundreds, if not thousands, of tickets issued...and maybe that's why they're not honoring them.

But with the DOT investigating and lots of press on this issue now, UA really can't win. If they honor the tickets, they've set that precedent moving forward...and will need to eat the expense. If they don't and DOT sides with them, it's another big blemish on their brand, another incident of technical incompetence for people to fume about, and another example where the arrogant carrier thinks they're right moreso than the customer.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
It does. Though he says he's 1K and it was a Supervisor he spoke with. Still, I wonder if his was flagged from the infant change thingy (which I still don't quite follow - something about charging him $1,500 if he wanted to add the baby?)
Yeah, I thought I read in one of his posts that he was never charged (his credit card), so he may not have been ticketed. I can't post on DD but someone should ask him if he had ticket numbers.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by flyersky1
I also have a flight tomorrow. Reservation is fine for now. Managed to check in. However, couldn't get the boarding pass because my "documentation needs to be verified by a UA representative" at the airport. I guess that's the passport because it's international travel. I had to input the passport number and all the details before i checked in.
That's typical especially if its you first international post 3/3

Originally Posted by Milezjunkie
Yeah, I thought I read in one of his posts that he was never charged (his credit card), so he may not have been ticketed. I can't post on DD but someone should ask him if he had ticket numbers.
I think it was the baby ticket that was not charged
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:33 pm

It does. Though he says he's 1K and it was a Supervisor he spoke with. Still, I wonder if his was flagged from the infant change thingy (which I still don't quite follow - something about charging him $1,500 if he wanted to add the baby?)
He said on Sunday he forgot to book his 3 month old infant baby in the heat of the moment. So 2 days ago, he called to add her into the reservation. UA allowed him to do so for $1500 (probably 10% of full adult fare?). Then this afternoon, less than 24 hrs before the flight, he no longer was able to access the reservation. So people speculate that he was flagged because he had called a couple of days ago.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by frecuente-flyer
He said on Sunday he forgot to book his 3 month old infant baby in the heat of the moment. So 2 days ago, he called to add her into the reservation. UA allowed him to do so for $1500 (probably 10% of full adult fare?). Then this afternoon, less than 24 hrs before the flight, he no longer was able to access the reservation. So people speculate that he was flagged because he had called a couple of days ago.
And now he's worried about getting his account closed and doesn't want to file a DOT complaint. Kinda sounds like a basket case.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Originally Posted by lewende
I have a situation here - my 4-mile flight was confirmed but not ticketed on Sunday:

PVG-PEK (CA)
PEK-BKK (CA)
BKK-USM (TG)
//
USM-BKK (TG)
BKK-HKG (ET)
HKG-CTU (CA)
CTU-PVG (CA)

After I paid taxes, I got an email confirmation saying the fare is 4-mile plus tax, but never received an eTicket Itinerary. I was speculating this is due to a leg ran by ET, because on my account, the ET leg never shows up.

Yesterday, charges for all my other itineraries were posted on my credit card except this one, and the reservation status on My Account shows:

Whereas my other ticketed reservations show:

I held back, expecting everything will fall in the right place. However, just now I logged into MP account and this reservation only shows a bare bone:

BKK-USM
//
USM-BKK

I called both CA and ET asking about other legs. Both answered those legs are still in their systems but showing "on hold" and not ticketed.

I know since UA didn't ticket this itinerary, I may have little recourse to ask them to ticket it right now, but would like to glean some feedback from experts here to make an educated decision.

Thanks!
You are not going to fly without all segments are confirmed. And I'm afraid you also have to show up at the airport even get rejected, if you want your tax money back (a letter from the CA/ET counter may work). Otherwise your reservations will be highly likely get void at your expense.

And once again, do not call. Making phone calls to UA would not do any help in this situation.

Last edited by cdegt; Jul 18, 2012 at 8:41 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And now he's worried about getting his account closed and doesn't want to file a DOT complaint. Kinda sounds like a basket case.
Probably read all the speculation on FT spoken as if it were fact that it would happen
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
It's not my first international, and hopefully that wouldn't cause any additional scrutiny.

Originally Posted by CDKing
That's typical especially if its you first international post 3/3
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyersky1
It's not my first international, and hopefully that wouldn't cause any additional scrutiny.
nah there are reports even under the old CO that it randomly required people to check in with passport.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Plat.
Originally Posted by CDKing
nah there are reports even under the old CO that it randomly required people to check in with passport.
On a recent international trip I couldn't check in online because I got the "SSSSSSS" for extra security on my boarding pass... I didn't even realize those still existed until I got one in May.

Buying a last moment ticket to China may be a reason for the TSA computers to want to get a better look at you.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by NAREN10216
So.. one orders a LED tv with a "published sticker price of $ 900" plus taxes at 10% (10 /100).. cash register has error in program... instead of multipying $900 with 1.10 (to add taxes).. it divides $900 by 1100
(double mistake in calculating percentage 10 x 100 instead of 10 /100
AND 900 DIVIDE by 1100 instead of multiply by 1.10.

This would give a Bottom LINE Balance Due on the receipt as
900/1100 = $ 0.81

Computer charges $0.81 to customer credit card and "approves" shipment.

Order form goes to Shipping.. error is discovered... and customer is notified
of "additional payment due" OR uses AUTHORISATION to go ahead and
Charge the correct amount of $ 990.00. (dont forget that when the customer hit the BUY button he/she authorised merchant to CHARGE the
full amount of $990).

In this case :

(a) Publised Award was at 160,000 miles plus taxes and fees

(b) Customer SEES "PUBLISHED FARE" and decides to purchase
(ONLY because he/she KNOWS that there is error in "addition"
affecting the Bottom Line at end of purchase).

(c) AUTHORISES UNITED to DEDUCT 160,000 MILES and charge
Taxes and Fees to his/her credit card.

(d) Prior to "flying" United discovers error. It is ENTITLED to
CHARGE CUSTOMER MP ACCOUNT" with the DIFFERENCE ..
BECAUSE THE CUSTOMER HAD AUTHORISED TO DO SO.

(e) Customer not having enough miles are given a choice to REFUND
the miles back to Account with NO PENALTY (this is actually a
favor ... because the customer had AUTHORISED to deduct
160,000 MP miles.

United is 100% correct in its action. As a matter of fact they
should CHARGE the RE-DEPOSIT fees to ALL customers that
AUTHORISED it to DEDUCT miles and ISSUE tickets.
The balance due on my screen clearly showed 4 miles + tax before I had to input my credit card info.

Last edited by J.Edward; Jul 18, 2012 at 8:49 pm Reason: removal of personal snipe
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amazed at UA's silence

So we're 3 1/2 days into this fiasco and there's been absolutely no attempt by UA to individually contact its MileagePlus members about this issue -- even after it's hit the national media. Heck, I even got an email from UA about errors in the fairly obscure "Map Your Dreams" promo.

Just to retain some credibility, you would think we'd get an email explaining their actions and informing members what will happen with any of the award tickets booked under the error. I guess it's possible that they're still deciding what to do, but you would think you could get that done in 3 business days.

This is certainly not UA's finest moment. I'd even argue that the response is a worse bungle than the programming error that generated the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.