Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:23 pm

Here's what's going to happen if you book with enough miles in your account: The FULL ticket price will get deducted, and you will get 4 miles refunded when you cancel.

Just sayin'.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fragment54
With people booking 4+ each, no way this is going to work. I'm sure there are several FTers booking more like 20+.
I believe most here dont think this would work. It is almost a matter of "fun" exercise by many - just to show UA how vulnerable its reservation system is after the change over.

The real fun begins when people trying to get the credit card refund back in a timely manner given the reported troubles some have been having not too long ago.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:26 pm

-----

Last edited by dakuda; Jul 18, 2012 at 8:28 am
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
I believe most here dont think this would work. It is almost a matter of "fun" exercise by many - just to show UA how vulnerable its reservation system is after the change over.

The real fun begins when people trying to get the credit card refund back in a timely manner given the reported troubles some have been having not too long ago.
Honestly, the best "realistic" favorable outcome here is some sort of good will travel voucher.

And I think the odds of that are less than 5%.

Still, I did it and am ticketed. How could I miss these festivities?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ramblers63
LOL, you're right.....with thousands of tickets booked and all 700 deal blogs picking this up, it just might fly under the radar!
I don't know if the guy who emails gleff about this was the initial "discoverer" or not. If he was, he would've done well to keep quiet and he might have squeaked by. Even if he shared it with a few friends. No way anything this viral will work out.

I cracked up that TPG posted it as an "Amazing Deal Alert"!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Here's what's going to happen if you book with enough miles in your account: The FULL ticket price will get deducted, and you will get 4 miles refunded when you cancel.

Just sayin'.
Someone will call soon enough. Always happens.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Honestly, the best "realistic" favorable outcome here is some sort of good will travel voucher.

And I think the odds of that are less than 5%.

Still, I did it and am ticketed. How could I miss these festivities?
Do you have enough miles in your account?

I would do it if I dont have enough miles in account. But since accounts with enough miles got deducted in full I dont want to have the full miles deducted from my account and then cancel them within the 24 hours window and wait for the CC refund. If I want to go to Asia, I would go thru the ticketing of the 3 SQ rezzies on hold just a few days ago.

I have enough UA Type B that I could not find a way to use, no need to add any more.

Besides, given they just clawed back people's miles on an legitimate promotion, I seriously doubt your 5% would materialize.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ams-offer.html

Last edited by Happy; Jul 15, 2012 at 12:42 pm
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by amejr999
Do not call.
+4
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
I actually need to travel to HKG for business in September, and was dreading have to travel in economy due to our dwindling travel budget - got in for a biz-class itinerary that matches my need for 4 miles. We'll see if this actually holds up. Nothing deducted just yet, and I definitely don't have the actual 300K in my account...

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
The party appears to be over

SunLover

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
This was fun - thanks for an eventful Sunday.

If it works great, if not I dont really care - I booked with a "not enough miles" in my account so they can't take the full chunk.

BTW looks like all UA award flights online have been pulled off the website for redemption at least for HKG - someone caught on. Partner flights still available to book however - for now.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
They ticketed mine and it clearly says on the receipt that 12 miles were debited. I haven't actually seen anything come out of my account though (I don't have nearly enough to actually cover the full amount).

If I were to refund/cancel my reservation in the next 24 hours, what happens? Do I get my miles and taxes back?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 15, 2012 at 12:47 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:43 pm

I'm in for 2 over thanksgiving....i've been ticketed, credit card has been authorized, but no miles taken out. I do not have enough miles to cover, so now i'm waiting and seeing what happens.

Both my ticketed email and now my reservation confirmation are showing 8 miles to be debited. As others have stated, not like it means much, but a good data point.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:48 pm
ffI
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by amejr999
Do not call.
+1 PLEASE DO NOT CALL.
If their systems do not crash with the overload of this mistake.
I should have booked one for tonight to go to HKG for a long day
Mine is for August - I guess it will get cancelled by then
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:48 pm

Gone.... That was fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.