Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA S
Looks like the party is over, UA isn't returning any award results for SFO-HKG for me =/ A shame, I was able to see the 4 mile price but didn't pull the trigger. Best of luck to everyone who got in
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Anyone think we have any DOT protection here given what has happened for the KE F RGN fares, the SQ redemptions?

I did pay using currency (miles) and I did pay taxes and also received a ticket number. I will agree to deduction of full miles to my account which will yield -3,000,000 balance...

Let's see what happens. This is karma for UA clawing back their miles.:-:
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Wirelessly posted (BB Curve: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; T-Mobile G2 Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Normally I'd say this is an easy fix, sort there bookings by extremely low number of miles or something, but given the problems UA IT has been having, I have my doubts.

Not sure how this will play out, but I certainly think those who book it w 4 miles and later get dinged for the full amount probably can't complain much, at least not in the fashion of the promo UA bungled
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by patchan8984
Anyone think we have any DOT protection here given what has happened for the KE F RGN fares, the SQ redemptions?

I did pay using currency (miles) and I did pay taxes and also received a ticket number. I will agree to deduction of full miles to my account which will yield -3,000,000 balance...

Cases like this are the reason this won't stand.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
This is the side of FT that embarrasses me. We talk about UA's loyalty of its best customers. Does this practice really make us ideal customers?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Definitely dead. One can't even see any flight availability to HKG and no connections with HKG are showing either. Looks like they have blocked HKG from the award engine as destination and transfer point for now. I've cleared cache, signed out and back in...same results. Party has got to be over.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by whakojacko
Looks like the party is over, UA isn't returning any award results for SFO-HKG for me =/ A shame, I was able to see the 4 mile price but didn't pull the trigger. Best of luck to everyone who got in
Me too. united.com could not find any available flights for award travel meeting your requirements. You may modify your search criteria or contact United Reservations in United States at 1-800-300-1547.

Fun while it lasted.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:56 pm

Marathon Man, how many tickets did you book under this promo?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:56 pm
ffI
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Dead now - waiting for the fun....

Flight Search
united.com could not find any available flights for award travel meeting your requirements. You may modify your search criteria or contact United Reservations in United States at 1-800-300-1547.
> See the timetable for our complete flight schedule.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Originally Posted by fragment54
Cases like this are the reason this won't stand.
Note that a standard F award is ~300k each, with my family travelling with me twice in one year is not unreasonable...
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:58 pm

Perhaps this was all a guerilla marketing campaign to advertise United's low surcharges for Asia awards? A refreshing change from the oneWorld criminals...
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:00 pm

Note that a standard F award is ~300k each, with my family travelling with me twice in one year is not unreasonable...
Our opinions can differ I suppose.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz FS, SPG Plt, HH Gold

With some people booking upwards of 10+ tickets, I doubt they will honor it. As for DOT, who knows.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zrs70
This is the side of FT that embarrasses me. We talk about UA's loyalty of its best customers. Does this practice really make us ideal customers?
If we hadn't gone through all the S we have the past four months, I doubt you'd have seen such glee in this thread
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
It's pricing correctly for me 240k for 2 people rt to China in business

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.