Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by mrkymark
why would anyone care about the 24hr cancellation or fee. It's 4 miles per ticket. If they do honor it and you can't travel forget the miles. Am I missing something?
I think the concern is over the fact that some folks are getting confirmations that it's 4 miles, but actually getting the full number of miles pulled from their MP account.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Tim nice but dim
I booked a EWR-HKG r/t for 4 miles plus $40 or so. Would love to see what happens next given my Mileageplus account had only 50 miles in it!
Mine ticketed a few minutes ago. I only had <1,000 miles in my account. I "think" my total reflects -12 miles but I forgot to note what my balance was prior to this, so I'm not 100% sure. The activity listing doesn't show this activity yet.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
why would anyone care about the 24hr cancellation or fee. It's 4 miles per ticket. If they do honor it and you can't travel forget the miles. Am I missing something?
Well for one do you want to be out $150 for nothing ? ($150 for non-elites, $125 for silver, $100 for gold)
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

What the hay... I'll give it a shot...

went with a standard awardx2.. 640K miles (which I definitely do not have) for GF. Nice to be able to have the best times possible for the flight .
E receipt shows 8 miles+$81....

I actually have the same itinerary already booked on Air Canada/Asiana through USAirways...

FDW
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
I've decided not to even attempt this one, in light of the (IMO) slim chance of success. But I'll really regret my decision if UA honors the 4 points award.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
I just booked 3 BWI-HKG for 12 miles and $120. It hasn't ticketed yet for me and so far no miles have been deducted.

The current outcomes I can surmise are this:
1: UA honors the tickets. People can choose whether to travel or not, and forfeit the miles/taxes if they don't. (Is it possible to get your taxes and fees back if you decide not to travel, without paying the award redeposit fee--so forfeiting the miles, but not the money?)

2: UA doesn't honor the tickets and refunds everyone's purchases.

Am I missing anything?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tom911
Do Platinums get free redeposit of award miles if they cancel? I see on the Boarding Area blog that there are several posts about the correct amount of miles being deducted from Mileage Plus accounts. Will you fly at full miles?
Since I have less than 40K in my account, it's going be hard to do that in my case. I doubt they'll let me go negative.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
My receipt clearly says 4 miles per ticket. Just checked and they deducted 60 k each. If I have it on a UA receipt shouldn't they honor that?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
Do not call.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
The current outcomes I can surmise are this:
1: UA honors the tickets. People can choose whether to travel or not, and forfeit the miles/taxes if they don't. (Is it possible to get your taxes and fees back if you decide not to travel, without paying the award redeposit fee--so forfeiting the miles, but not the money?)

2: UA doesn't honor the tickets and refunds everyone's purchases.

Am I missing anything?
I wonder if, for the folks who didn't have enough actual miles in their accounts, UA would create a negative mileage balance for those accounts?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by amejr999
Do not call.
LOL, you're right.....with thousands of tickets booked and all 700 deal blogs picking this up, it just might fly under the radar!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those who have enough miles in their accounts are getting FULL miles deducted.

Besides, you also forget about the CASH cancellation fee.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Yes, you forget about the CASH cancellation fee.

Because you are also out the cancellation fee of $150 for GM, $125 for lowest tier elite, so on so forth if canceled after 24 hours period.
With people booking 4+ each, no way this is going to work. I'm sure there are several FTers booking more like 20+.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:22 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

well I received an e-ticket for my trip...
no miles deducted...

this should be a fun one.. I wont get terribly upset if it doesnt work out...

fdw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.