FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1366665-ua-mistake-award-redemption-rates-china-travel-ua-says-will-void-tickets.html)

ffI Jul 15, 2012 10:42 am

UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets]

Moderator Edit: Please see the following update from UA Insider

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 18943095)
Hi Everyone, over the weekend, we discovered a united.com programming error that allowed customers to obtain Mileage Plus travel awards to and from Hong Kong for as little as four miles roundtrip per person, substantially below published levels, which we disclose to customers. We have since corrected the error and will be in contact with customers who have tickets issued at the incorrect award amounts. Customers will be given the choice to redeem at the correct mileage amount or re-deposit their award with all fees waived. We regret any inconvenience this has caused you, and appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines

Was searching UA for 2 friends to BKK.
I saw this and ignored it - Then I saw that I was not alone

Gary has posted this about UA.
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...om+the+Wing%29

I am curious, if I try to book this from an account with very few miles (which I will) what can UA do to get more miles from me?

Can I use it as a "freely cancellabe award" until I know for sure.
Coming on he heels of the open SQ awards, I am all for SHARES.

Once they ticket this with a ticket number and the account has zero miles left (at most, less than a 1000) does this award stand?

UPDATE:
Could not do it for less than 150k return oneway now
The system glitch may be fixed!
Maybe it is only economy

Update 2 - Still works
I went ahead with miles from an acct that has only 100 miles, so no risk to me of the extra miles being taken.

Originally Posted by Youngmiler (Post 18943535)
This is the Guinness World Record thread right here;
It is receiving an insane amount of post
It is receiving an insane amount of views
It is receiving an insane amount of post and views in a very short time

19th in views on the new Consolidated UA forum with 75k views within 36 hrs!
Way to go, Gang!

al613 Jul 15, 2012 10:44 am

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 18933380)
Gary has posted this about UA.

I am curious, if I try to book this from an account with very few miles (which I will) what can UA do to get more miles from me?

Can I use it as a "freely cancellabe award" until I know for sure.
Coming on he heels of the open SSQ award, I am al for SHARES.

Once they ticket this with a ticket number and the account has zero miles left (at most, less than a 1000) does this award stand?

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...om+the+Wing%29

Cannot find it. Is it fixed?

boss315 Jul 15, 2012 10:47 am

UA mistake award fare

Doesn't work for me

escapefromphl Jul 15, 2012 11:10 am

I don't see that United will be under any obligation to honor these, unlike revenue mistake fares there is a known standard award price. Still it does illustrate how crappy their systems are, they don't even do range or sanity checking.

SFO777 Jul 15, 2012 11:17 am

Try x-HKG to anywhere in Asia/Europe.
Just booked two RT First Class HKG-BKK-CDG on TG A380 for 8 miles and $235 in taxes/fees.
Already received confirmation and ticket numbers. This is going to be fun. :D

bthobe Jul 15, 2012 11:24 am

Just booked two tickets in F on TG HKG-BKK-FCO for 8 miles as well.

My only issue is trying to find availability from LAS-HKG-LAS

cruisr Jul 15, 2012 11:29 am

Well I have tkt numbers and only 8 miles deducted. One way hkg to ewr in BF

sandiegofun Jul 15, 2012 11:33 am

UA mistake award fare

What a great deal!! Now this is the only thing about SHARES that I like!!!!

amejr999 Jul 15, 2012 11:34 am

Still alive... NYC to HKG works.

flycal312 Jul 15, 2012 11:35 am

Oh my, HKG-BKK-MAD and back for 4 miles...haha. This one will be funny.

ramblers63 Jul 15, 2012 11:37 am

Popcorn ready. Over/under on first threat of "lawyering up" once UA cancels? I'll go Monday at 2pm.

SFO777 Jul 15, 2012 11:37 am

SFO-HKG-BKK-DPS and back in UA/TG First. 8 miles and $72 in taxes for the two of us.
One change I definitely like. :D

WineCountryUA Jul 15, 2012 11:39 am

Originally Posted by ramblers63 (Post 18933641)
Popcorn ready. Over/under on first threat of "lawyering up" once UA cancels? I'll go Monday at 2pm.

no later then noon EDT Monday -- minutes after UA starts cancelling the "award error" tickets.

aaron1262 Jul 15, 2012 11:45 am

just for fun just booked for 3 people RT SEA-HKG and it only cost 12 miles

84fiero Jul 15, 2012 11:45 am

Tried it, still "works" as of 1:30 PM EDT, still awaiting ticketing of course. I really have zero expectation this will stick, especially with it spreading like wildfire across the blogs. Perhaps if a few people slipped under the radar, but now UA will probably be checking every relevant reservation, if it isn't detected automatically. Oh well, fun to try at least.