FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA mistake award redemption rates for China travel [UA says will void tickets] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1366665-ua-mistake-award-redemption-rates-china-travel-ua-says-will-void-tickets.html)

whakojacko Jul 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Looks like the party is over, UA isn't returning any award results for SFO-HKG for me =/ A shame, I was able to see the 4 mile price but didn't pull the trigger. Best of luck to everyone who got in

patchan8984 Jul 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Anyone think we have any DOT protection here given what has happened for the KE F RGN fares, the SQ redemptions?

I did pay using currency (miles) and I did pay taxes and also received a ticket number. I will agree to deduction of full miles to my account which will yield -3,000,000 balance...

Let's see what happens. This is karma for UA clawing back their miles.:-:

luv2ctheworld Jul 15, 2012 12:51 pm

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; T-Mobile G2 Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Normally I'd say this is an easy fix, sort there bookings by extremely low number of miles or something, but given the problems UA IT has been having, I have my doubts.

Not sure how this will play out, but I certainly think those who book it w 4 miles and later get dinged for the full amount probably can't complain much, at least not in the fashion of the promo UA bungled

fragment54 Jul 15, 2012 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by patchan8984 (Post 18934031)
Anyone think we have any DOT protection here given what has happened for the KE F RGN fares, the SQ redemptions?

I did pay using currency (miles) and I did pay taxes and also received a ticket number. I will agree to deduction of full miles to my account which will yield -3,000,000 balance...

Cases like this are the reason this won't stand.

zrs70 Jul 15, 2012 12:53 pm

This is the side of FT that embarrasses me. We talk about UA's loyalty of its best customers. Does this practice really make us ideal customers?

AAExPlat Jul 15, 2012 12:55 pm

Definitely dead. One can't even see any flight availability to HKG and no connections with HKG are showing either. Looks like they have blocked HKG from the award engine as destination and transfer point for now. I've cleared cache, signed out and back in...same results. Party has got to be over.

SFO777 Jul 15, 2012 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by whakojacko (Post 18934026)
Looks like the party is over, UA isn't returning any award results for SFO-HKG for me =/ A shame, I was able to see the 4 mile price but didn't pull the trigger. Best of luck to everyone who got in

Me too. united.com could not find any available flights for award travel meeting your requirements. You may modify your search criteria or contact United Reservations in United States at 1-800-300-1547.

Fun while it lasted.

fragment54 Jul 15, 2012 12:56 pm

Marathon Man, how many tickets did you book under this promo?

ffI Jul 15, 2012 12:56 pm

Dead now - waiting for the fun....

Flight Search
united.com could not find any available flights for award travel meeting your requirements. You may modify your search criteria or contact United Reservations in United States at 1-800-300-1547.
> See the timetable for our complete flight schedule.

patchan8984 Jul 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by fragment54 (Post 18934047)
Cases like this are the reason this won't stand.

Note that a standard F award is ~300k each, with my family travelling with me twice in one year is not unreasonable...

ramblers63 Jul 15, 2012 12:58 pm

Perhaps this was all a guerilla marketing campaign to advertise United's low surcharges for Asia awards? A refreshing change from the oneWorld criminals...

fragment54 Jul 15, 2012 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by patchan8984 (Post 18934080)
Note that a standard F award is ~300k each, with my family travelling with me twice in one year is not unreasonable...

Our opinions can differ I suppose.

eyestrain Jul 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by patchan8984 (Post 18934031)

With some people booking upwards of 10+ tickets, I doubt they will honor it. As for DOT, who knows.

UA-NYC Jul 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 18934051)
This is the side of FT that embarrasses me. We talk about UA's loyalty of its best customers. Does this practice really make us ideal customers?

If we hadn't gone through all the S we have the past four months, I doubt you'd have seen such glee in this thread

DC777Fan Jul 15, 2012 1:02 pm

It's pricing correctly for me :confused: 240k for 2 people rt to China in business