FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1364187-now-expired-sq-releasing-almost-all-f-award-o.html)

gaijinjapan Jul 7, 2012 8:05 pm

Just booked two for HND-SIN in F. Ticketed within minutes.

FT was the first thing I checked when I logged in to my computer today and I am so glad. Thank you OP!

mherdeg Jul 7, 2012 8:14 pm

I accidentally bought an award ticket for the wrong date and refunded it; having originally paid 180k miles + $222.20 for two pax, I was a bit mystified to see a cryptic extra line item on the refund receipt.

http://i.imgur.com/QygwN.png

Hopefully this will sort itself. I certainly didn't accept any extra upsales.

Koko Jul 7, 2012 8:14 pm

Got my dream EWR-SIN nonstop flight booked! I am happy and hope this works!
:)

Sykes Jul 7, 2012 8:18 pm

Just booked SFO-ICN-SIN-CMB in F to replace A UA TPAC flight ... I'm very happy at this turn of events. :)

Vunder31 Jul 7, 2012 8:23 pm

Booked SFO-SIN-SFO, got the eticket confirmation quickly, then cancelled it (found better trip to MEL for same dates) and got the miles refunded immediately.

Booked SFO-(HKG)-SIN-MEL-SIN-(HKG)-SFO 15 minutes ago, still waiting for eticket confirmation received eticket info after 20 minutes.
[Edit: Ticketed :)]

gpeso8 Jul 7, 2012 8:25 pm

Awesome. OP, thanks a ton. Just booked two tickets for December. It looked like 4 people in J was possible, FYI.

ConnFlyer Jul 7, 2012 8:30 pm

I can't imagine that SQ (or UA depending on who the guilty party is) would want to take the hit for all these tickets. At this point, based just on this thread, you're talking the potential to lose out on hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue.

Nonetheless, I'll keep holding hope that my AKL trip will hold. Going from IAD to AKL via SIN isn't the fastest way, but it sure would be sweet since NZ awards in business are nonexistent. And honestly, if these tickets do go through, it would certainly allow me to forgive UA for some of their screw-ups throughout the past few months.

Peter_Ng Jul 7, 2012 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Vunder31 (Post 18888505)
Booked SFO-SIN-SFO, got the eticket confirmation quickly, then cancelled it (found better trip to MEL for same dates) and got the miles refunded immediately.

Booked SFO-(HKG)-SIN-MEL-SIN-(HKG)-SFO 15 minutes ago, still waiting for eticket confirmation received eticket info after 20 minutes.
[Edit: Ticketed :)]

how did you cancel it, calling or online? Thanks

Vunder31 Jul 7, 2012 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_Ng (Post 18888565)
how did you cancel it, calling or online? Thanks

Chose "Refund" on the reservation info page ("View Current Reservation") online.
The "Refund" link is available for 24 hrs after booking. There is also a "cancel" link available after the 24 hrs have passed, but usually doesn't work for international itineraries. Then you have to call UA and ask them to refund your miles, and it can take a day (or more...).

http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/...e1/awards2.gif

Reunionmama Jul 7, 2012 8:41 pm

!!!

Kudos to the OP. Just snagged a $10,000 SIN-EWR-SIN ticket over Thanksgiving for 120,000 points.

Wow. Just wow.

yerffej201 Jul 7, 2012 8:42 pm

This is also available to Aeroplan Members, without YQ. I don't think this is just limited to UA... ;D

jasonvr Jul 7, 2012 8:45 pm

So, am I nuts? Considering replacing some flights on an existing award itin in about a month:

Current:
LAX-IAD C on pmCO FB 752
IAD-FRA F on UA 777

Proposed:
LAX-SFO F
SFO-JFK ps F
JFK-FRA SQ C 388

So drop UA GF for SQ C TATL. Still get GFL access because of the ps F segment. Do we feel there is a risk these will get FUBAR'd and I will totally screw up my trip leaving me with no way to get to FRA?

apodo77 Jul 7, 2012 8:46 pm

I feel like I am reading a thread where everyone is hitting the jackpot and just before collecting the rug will be pulled out from underneath them.

Hope it works out for everyone though.

Vunder31 Jul 7, 2012 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77 (Post 18888600)
I feel like I am reading a thread where everyone is hitting the jackpot and just before collecting the rug will be pulled out from underneath them.

Hope it works out for everyone though.

The worst thing that can happen is that SQ refuses to honor the ticket, and we get refunds. Could be bad if you changed an existing reservation to fly SQ instead and the original flights are no longer available. If you're making a new reservation and the miles are refunded if SQ puts up a fight, you're back to where you were before today :)

Originally Posted by jasonvr (Post 18888596)
So, am I nuts? Considering replacing some flights on an existing award itin in about a month:

Current:
LAX-IAD C on pmCO FB 752
IAD-FRA F on UA 777

Proposed:
LAX-SFO F
SFO-JFK ps F
JFK-FRA SQ C 388

So drop UA GF for SQ C TATL. Still get GFL access because of the ps F segment. Do we feel there is a risk these will get FUBAR'd and I will totally screw up my trip leaving me with no way to get to FRA?

If SQ refuses to honor the tickets and the original flights are no longer available, you could have some trouble.

jasonvr Jul 7, 2012 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Vunder31 (Post 18888631)
If SQ refuses to honor the tickets and the original flights are no longer available, you could have some trouble.

If it tickets, and you get a ticket number, can't the DOT enforce like it did for the RGN deal? DOT now seems to consider a ticket number a contract and seems to be willing to play hardball with the airlines like it did with KE.

Vunder31 Jul 7, 2012 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr (Post 18888645)
If it tickets, and you get a ticket number, can't the DOT enforce like it did for the RGN deal? DOT now seems to consider a ticket number a contract and seems to be willing to play hardball with the airlines like it did with KE.

True, but if your flight is soon, you may have to ask yourself if you think it's worth the risk if the DOT can't set SQ straight quickly.
Also, your ticket is a contract between you and UA, not SQ.
If SQ decides that they don't want to follow the rules (not the first time...), what can UA do other than trying to rebook you?
In your case, your original itinerary is on UA, so they should be able to get you seats, but if the original itinerary is on a different *A carrier, UA could have problems getting award first/business seats for you.

moa999 Jul 7, 2012 8:56 pm

You may well get a ticket number in a non-existent ticketing system!... Seems SQ hasn't closed off access whilst they are doing the transfer and I suspect everything has emptied out of the old system

EWR764 Jul 7, 2012 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Vunder31 (Post 18888631)

UA can overbook its own flights. In other words, a given United flight could be I0/O0 but they can force a booking into the proper fare bucket if they need to. I think this would be a situation where doing so would be a reasonable resolution if SQ fails to honor these tickets.

That's why I cautioned against canceling confirmed partner award space. If this inventory proves to be illusory you'd likely be left without recourse if the partner space disappears.

uva185 Jul 7, 2012 8:57 pm

What an amazing find! Thank you, OP!! Just booked a trip to SYD for New Years!!!

gpeso8 Jul 7, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm not going to need a visa for the DME stop on IAH-SIN, right?

FlyerChrisK Jul 7, 2012 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by moa999 (Post 18888660)
You may well get a ticket number in a non-existent ticketing system!... Seems SQ hasn't closed off access whilst they are doing the transfer and I suspect everything has emptied out of the old system

UA awards are issued with UA ticket numbers, not SQ ticket numbers.

apk123 Jul 7, 2012 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 18888664)
UA can overbook its own flights. In other words, a given United flight could be I0/O0 but they can force a booking into the proper fare bucket if they need to. I think this would be a situation where doing so would be a reasonable resolution if SQ fails to honor these tickets.

Unfortunately I don't think we can count on UA to come up with a reasonable resolution :mad:

macdonaldj2 Jul 7, 2012 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by gpeso8 (Post 18888672)
I'm not going to need a visa for the DME stop on IAH-SIN, right?

No you're just transiting in DME. It's not a fun transit point (long story about the last time I was there).

EWR764 Jul 7, 2012 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by apk123 (Post 18888674)
Unfortunately I don't think we can count on UA to come up with a reasonable resolution :mad:

Well, at least it is feasible! ;)

Vunder31 Jul 7, 2012 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 18888664)

That's why I cautioned against canceling confirmed partner award space. If this inventory proves to be illusory you'd likely be left without recourse if the partner space disappears.

Agreed. If UA can get you to your destination on its own flights, you should be able to get rebooked fairly easily. If getting there requires a partner flight, on the other hand...
I agree that changing an existing award reservation on partner flights can be risky if UA can't get those seats back for you if SQ backs out.

Should we post this on the SQ board to see what they think about this deal? ;)

snic Jul 7, 2012 9:06 pm

I just changed an award ticket so that now mrs snic is on SQ C JFK-FRA on the A380. I have a (UA) e-ticket, but when I click the link to get the SQ confirmation number, it still shows the confirmation number for the other airline (and none for SQ). But maybe that's to be expected if SQ's system is down.

jasonvr Jul 7, 2012 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Vunder31 (Post 18888699)
Agreed. If UA can get you to your destination on its own flights, you should be able to get rebooked fairly easily. If getting there requires a partner flight, on the other hand...
I agree that changing an existing award reservation on partner flights can be risky if UA can't get those seats back for you if SQ backs out.

Yeah, for me it is just replacing the first two flights in a much larger itinerary. Those flights were UA and would become UA+SQ. There are MANY way that UA can get me to FRA on my chosen date if everything goes FUBAR (IAH, SFO, ORD, IAD). The rest of the itinerary stays untouched (LX, SQ, TG, LH)

Originally Posted by snic (Post 18888707)
I just changed an award ticket so that now mrs snic is on SQ C JFK-FRA on the A380. I have a (UA) e-ticket, but when I click the link to get the SQ confirmation number, it still shows the confirmation number for the other airline (and none for SQ). But maybe that's to be expected if SQ's system is down.

I have an existing itinerary (before this) that includes SQ and it doesn't show my SQ PNR. I had to call for it. The only one that shows is LX for some reason (and not the other 3 airlines that are on the itinerary)

Vunder31 Jul 7, 2012 9:11 pm

SQ revenue management checking booking logs and F class inventory after the reservation system change: Whisky Tango Foxtrot !!!!! ;)

I believe that UA has to pay SQ for these seats, right?
I would guess that a lot of award bookings would normally offset (SQ members booking UA flights and UA members booking SQ flights), but I'm pretty sure that SQ won't get paid the full F class fare for the increased number of F class bookings now.
UA has to pay SQ for the bookings, but SQ can't sell those seats as regular tickets. Both airlines lose...

mike_L Jul 7, 2012 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by snic (Post 18888707)

Not exactly related to this. I booked an award flight with a few legs on SQ 7 days ago. THe confirmation # never showed up, while other airline confirmation #s were there. I called UA, and the agent did not know either.

Then I called SQ and got my confirmation # and seat assignment. You might need to call SQ to find it out.

gpeso8 Jul 7, 2012 9:16 pm

It's going to be interesting to see what happens if UA(etc)/SQ fails to honor these tickets, it seems like some of the people on flyertalk and on boarding area are changing already ticketed awards.

Some of the blogs should probably have some disclaimer to warn people that if they change previously ticketed awards that this could mess up a holiday. Lucky, for one doesn't mention this at all...

fandu Jul 7, 2012 9:19 pm

Has someone tried to call US to book on SQ? I don't have UA miles but tons of US miles.

mgm321 Jul 7, 2012 9:20 pm

SQ isn't really loosing full fare revenue here. It's not leaking it's revenue buckets to UA redemptions, just it's own miles redemption bucket. To verify try booking 4F mileage seats on a date when 4 revenue seats are available.

newbieflyer1 Jul 7, 2012 9:20 pm

i am trying on ua website not able to see any flights.should i search in singapore airlines website

J.Edward Jul 7, 2012 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by fandu (Post 18888764)
Has someone tried to call US to book on SQ? I don't have UA miles but tons of US miles.

etsmyers had the same situation.

1. Use united.com to locate award space on SQ.
2. Note the flight numbers, dates, times, etc.
3. Call into US, reference the flights you want, have US sell them into a PNR, and then issue the ticket.

That should do it!

gpeso8 Jul 7, 2012 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by newbieflyer1 (Post 18888774)
i am trying on ua website not able to see any flights.should i search in singapore airlines website

It's still wide open for me....

Vunder31 Jul 7, 2012 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr (Post 18888645)

Lets just hope that they don't want to play hardball like SN Brussels Airlines did a long time ago.
About 10 years ago (when SN Brussels Airlines was recently founded) there was a mistake fare CPH-BRU-JNB R/T. I was one of the many people who took advantage of the fare, but the airline didn't want to honor it, instead offering me CPH-BRU R/T. (Yeah, like I'd take that...). After a long fight, they decided to honor the tickets, but when they cancelled the BRU-JNB route, they refused to rebook me and instead refunded my money. A long fight with no gain...
Not that I think that SQ will cancel any routes if too many people book F class award seats... :D

mherdeg Jul 7, 2012 9:25 pm

Hmm, on a second ticketed reservation, UA seems to have decided to add a spurious upsale to the reservation without telling me…

http://i.imgur.com/22gal.png

I never clicked any buttons to OK this (and don't have any pending CC charges in this amount).

Indeed, my current UA receipt shows the correct charges.

http://i.imgur.com/LEM41.png

Am just a little concerned that if there are any changes that require reticketing, UA will decide it needs to charge me for an upsale.

Madone59 Jul 7, 2012 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by newbieflyer1 (Post 18888774)

Don't bother it is down - ie: the glitch.

I am in the boat of I had a UA F award, and change part of (the middle of a 3flt itin). I would like to assume that if this turns out to be soap radio UA will put me back where I was. I definitely want this to be real, it is really once in a life time (at least for me), but if it isn't UA should take care of us.

Someone really want to test this? There is SQ F space on a few flights tomorrow.......go get on one :D

chinatraderjmr Jul 7, 2012 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by ConnFlyer (Post 18888543)
I can't imagine that SQ (or UA depending on who the guilty party is) would want to take the hit for all these tickets. At this point, based just on this thread, you're talking the potential to lose out on hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue.

Nonetheless, I'll keep holding hope that my AKL trip will hold. Going from IAD to AKL via SIN isn't the fastest way, but it sure would be sweet since NZ awards in business are nonexistent. And honestly, if these tickets do go through, it would certainly allow me to forgive UA for some of their screw-ups throughout the past few months.

The world does not revolve around FT, nor is it a good indicator of much. How many people acted on this thread? 100? 200 ? It's a drop in the bucket. It's not like SQ issued thousands of tickets in the hour or 2 it took them to shut down the site. I would bet those that got conf #s from SQ will get to keep there tickets. A number of people booked C instead of F which while still difficulty to get as an award, does open up (I've seen EWR-SIN, JFK-SIN and ICN-SIN avail for close in C award travel. I was on SQ 1 last winter in F and was talking to a guy in C who got his seat w US miles as well)

Originally Posted by jasonvr (Post 18888596)

Current:
LAX-IAD C on pmCO FB 752
IAD-FRA F on UA 777

Proposed:
LAX-SFO F
SFO-JFK ps F
JFK-FRA SQ C 388

You should not have a problem. ESPECIALLY with that flight. SQ DOES release space in C on the 380, although its very rare and usually close in. I doubt anyone who booked an award in C will have a problem. Even the few who got F should be fine. SQ closed down the site before any real damage was done. At worst, a few hundred F tkts were issued

jasonvr Jul 7, 2012 9:34 pm

OK, called in to make my change. Agent did NOT cancel my original flights. Said we need to wait 12 hours to make sure everything goes thru and I'll nee to call back in tomorrow to see what happened. So, best of all worlds. Got my dibs in for the SQ flight and still have protection on my original UA flights!

And at the end, as the agent read back the changes, she got to the SQ flight and said "business, and I'm doing air-quotes here because I'm sure you know what SQ business is like". I was frank with her and said "yep, so I'm sure you understand why I would dump UA F in favor of SQ J" :D