FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   [NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1364187-now-expired-sq-releasing-almost-all-f-award-o.html)

uapremier Jul 7, 2012 5:36 pm

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Hi All,

Doing some planning/booking and noticed that (I think due to a systems conversion issue) SQ has released ridiculous amounts of F (O award availability) on almost all routes to *A redeption!
Grab them before they go! I suspect its an error-website says they are converting systems, but I was able to ticket no prob with UA miles.

infamousdx Jul 7, 2012 5:43 pm

Amazing find!

ConnFlyer Jul 7, 2012 5:45 pm

The question is will UA/SQ honor these when things get fixed.

Happy Jul 7, 2012 5:50 pm

does not allow me to book

Out of curiosity check random dates in August. While there were availability, the website would not allow me to book - got error message, due to rapidly change award availability, the flights selected are no longer available...

uapremier Jul 7, 2012 5:52 pm

I just booked 5 different seats no prob....try diff dates?

chinatraderjmr Jul 7, 2012 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by ConnFlyer (Post 18887925)
The question is will UA/SQ honor these when things get fixed.

They would have to I imagine. SQ shot themselves in the foot by requiring reservations on award travel to be ticketed right away (NO COURTESY HOLDS). If it comes back OK, and is ticketed, not much they can do. It's 7:30 AM here in Asia so I would grab them now. I'm sure when SQ figures it out they will close down the system till its fixed (but it is a Sunday......maybe it will last a few more hours). I just tried one search (SFO-ICN) and first shows avail on SQ

Pingtung Jul 7, 2012 5:56 pm

It doesn't show up with the ANA award search but it's definitely showing on the UA site (minus A380 in F/R).

Anyone gotten these ticketed with SQ confirmation numbers?

Happy Jul 7, 2012 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pingtung (Post 18887972)
It doesn't show up with the ANA award search but it's definitely showing on the UA site (minus A380 in F/R).

Anyone gotten these ticketed with SQ confirmation numbers?

While this is not F, but I found a SQ JFK-FRA A380 in I, and then connect to LH FRA-SIN A380 for a search of JFK-SIN. That is interesting - 2 A380 business back to back on different airline... Not interested in LH A380 business cabin though.

kenhawk Jul 7, 2012 5:59 pm

They just took their website down:

Dear Valued Customer,

We regret that our website is temporarily unavailable.

This is because Singapore Airlines and SilkAir are currently undergoing a transition to a new reservations system at this time.

As such, bookings through www.singaporeair.com, www.silkair.com, call centres, service centres and travel agents are not available. All KrisFlyer-related transactions, as well as online/mobile functions (e.g.SMS alerts, etc) are also suspended. We expect to resume these services progressively from 2200 hours on 08 July 2012 Singapore local time (GMT+8).

During this period, all our flights are due to operate as scheduled. However, please note that Internet, mobile and early check-in is not available for all flights on 08 and 09 July 2012 Singapore local time (GMT +8). For information on flight status, please check with the respective airports.

Should you require urgent assistance, please email us at [email protected]. For non-urgent service or general feedback, we would appreciate if you could visit our website after 2200 hours on 08 July 2012 Singapore local time (GMT +8).

EWR764 Jul 7, 2012 6:09 pm

My money says they won't honor them, but it's worth trying. I would not change any existing reservations, though, unless on UA metal where agents can manually overbook I/O in the event these get bounced.

In my experience, there is usually a lag with SQ in getting *A partner award flights ticketed, so even if you have a record locator from UA, it does not mean your SQ segment has actually been issued.

infamousdx Jul 7, 2012 6:11 pm

Come on, Philippines call center, don't let me down! Let's make this change to all SQ

TravellingMan Jul 7, 2012 6:15 pm

I could make a booking on UAL and also got a ticket issued. If SQ cancels it or not we shall see. Not sure if SQ can come back and cancel once UA issues a ticket.

BookerNYC Jul 7, 2012 6:22 pm

Just booked an Asian trip in Singapore First over the new year. Wow! Got a confirmation back from United already -- this reservation is ticketed and confirmed.

We shall see I guess.. fingers crossed.

J.Edward Jul 7, 2012 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingMan (Post 18888049)
I could make a booking on UAL and also got a ticket issued. If SQ cancels it or not we shall see. Not sure if SQ can come back and cancel once UA issues a ticket.

Finally scored SQ61 (IAH > DME > SIN) in F!

UA eTicket issued and confirmed!

EWR764 Jul 7, 2012 6:24 pm

FYI no SQ flights are currently visible in AMADEUS.

Happy Jul 7, 2012 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 18888089)
FYI no SQ flights are currently visible in AMADEUS.

That means those ticketed by UA probably are not truly ticketed.

Then if SQ does not honor those bookings, I hope the refund of miles is not as bad as people have been experiencing on canceled awards.

Good luck to all who have ticketed.

ConnFlyer Jul 7, 2012 6:34 pm

I figured I would take my chances and booked it even though I know the probability is low that SQ will accept all these bookings. I can't imagine they would take the hit on all the revenue lost giving this many free tickets away.

What I'm curious about is what in SQ's systems allowed this to happen? One would think during the switchover they're doing, they would not allow any inventory to be shown to anyone. Or is this a UA error?

EWR764 Jul 7, 2012 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by ConnFlyer (Post 18888119)
Or is this a UA error?

I'm thinking it's a UA error. I can't find SQ inventory (revenue or award) through any other channel at the moment.

apk123 Jul 7, 2012 6:45 pm

Oh man I already have an award booked on different carriers and it would have been nice to do it on SQ instead... but too afraid to lose both the SQ and original award so won't be making any changes

Madone59 Jul 7, 2012 6:50 pm

I am currently on the phone changing an award booking, the agent says "She sees the 2 F seats I see on-line"

Don't fail me now! OP, I think I love you.

patchan8984 Jul 7, 2012 6:53 pm

That is incorrect. Aeroplan also shows routings available. I just cancelled a UA award and booked on Aeroplan...alao cancelled 2 other tickets and getting M+ to manually redeposit for rebooking...

so far so good...

patchan8984 Jul 7, 2012 6:54 pm

Are there DOT protections in this case? Technically, I did receive ticket numbers. Can this be counted like a revenue ticket?

J.Edward Jul 7, 2012 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by ConnFlyer (Post 18888119)
What I'm curious about is what in SQ's systems allowed this to happen?

Another factor might be StarNet - the platform which acts as a go-between for the various IT systems of the *A carriers.

To that end, if a carrier request inventory on another *A carrier and StarNet reports a seat exists, that inventory *must* be honored for a set period of time (in most cases I think this guarantee applies for a matter of minutes to allow a CSR to locate seats/awards, sell them into the PNR, and que it up for issue.)

So in our case, *if* UA queried StarNet for SQ award space, and *if* StarNet confirmed the request and UA subsequently sold the award and issued the ticket, I would *guess* the rules of the alliance require the tickets to be honored. (However I certainly stand to be corrected!)

That said, I don't know the details, I don't know how a system migration will affect the "normal" rules, I don't even know if SQ itself sees the reservation as their systems are still in flux, but regardless of what happens, it will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out.

uapremier Jul 7, 2012 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 18888184)

Don't fail me now! OP, I think I love you.

Yeah- Thanks. Lucky at Boardingarea.com didn't even have the decency to cite me as the source. Unbelievable, wrong and totally uncool.

EWR764 Jul 7, 2012 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by patchan8984 (Post 18888195)
That is incorrect. Aeroplan also shows routings available. I just cancelled a UA award and booked on Aeroplan...alao cancelled 2 other tickets and getting M+ to manually redeposit for rebooking...

so far so good...

Aeroplan will also show the same 'ghost' LH F availability as UA...

patchan8984 Jul 7, 2012 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 18888240)
Aeroplan will also show the same 'ghost' LH F availability as UA...

I have a ticket number, and if I understand it correct, SQ tickets immediately and I do have a ticket number. If it was indeed ghost availability, would this have happened?

Happy Jul 7, 2012 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by uapremier (Post 18888239)
Yeah- Thanks. Lucky at Boardingarea.com didn't even have the decency to cite me as the source. Unbelievable, wrong and totally uncool.

May be you are not the first one to find this glitch?

Lucky does have an acknowledgment at the end of his post to someone, but you may have missed it as you apparently not that person.

He has this: (Tip of the hat to Apurva)

So he does thank Apurva, apparently his tipster who is not you.

macdonaldj2 Jul 7, 2012 7:12 pm

F only thought right? or has anyone been able to find R class?

EWR764 Jul 7, 2012 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by patchan8984 (Post 18888257)
I have a ticket number, and if I understand it correct, SQ tickets immediately and I do have a ticket number. If it was indeed ghost availability, would this have happened?

If there is an error within the UA system that is issuing tickets based on availability that doesn't exist (if SQ doesn't confirm the inventory) then yes, it theoretically could happen.

Look, I booked an itin for myself and I hope they honor it as much as anyone, but I am just trying to caution against too much excitement... a few things about this just do not add up.

Madone59 Jul 7, 2012 7:15 pm

So I just got 2 seats off UA SFO-ICN and onto SQ15 (for me +1) that work with my connection out of ICN. Ticketed and ready to roll.

I called SQ to get seats, and there was an auto announcement that they are changing computer systems between 18:00 and 22:00.

This may be too good to be true. Those who know more than me, can they claw these seats back?

patchan8984 Jul 7, 2012 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 18888284)
So I just got 2 seats off UA SFO-ICN and onto SQ15 for my that work with my connection out of ICN. Ticketed and ready to roll.

I called SQ to get seats, and there was an auto announcement that they are changing computer systems between 18:00 and 22:00.

This may be too good to be true. Those who know more than me, can they claw these seats back?

Why would you call SQ at all?? I wouldn't call until after this is all done and over with...should be treated like a mistake fare...jeezus...

Madone59 Jul 7, 2012 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by patchan8984 (Post 18888291)
Why would you call SQ at all?? I wouldn't call until after this is all done and over with...should be treated like a mistake fare...jeezus...

Good thing I didn't get through ;)

foofiter Jul 7, 2012 7:20 pm

Arghhhh!

Wish I had the time off work to gamble with booking one of these. I would love to fly SQ J on the EWR-SIN direct flight. That is on my bucket list!

I can't wait to hear your reports of how this goes as far as being honored.

I did some dummy searches on united.com and found it to be nearly wide open for the November/December dates I spot checked.

Best of luck!

Foo

MtRoot Jul 7, 2012 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 18888284)
So I just got 2 seats off UA SFO-ICN and onto SQ15 for my that work with my connection out of ICN. Ticketed and ready to roll.

Same here as a replacement for existing JFK-LAX-ICN itin on UA/OZ F (which isn't too bad itself but I guess OZ can wait for now), although I'd keep the backup plan until I'm 100% sure that SQ honors the reservation.

Thanks OP for the heads up! This is amazing!

KebaNYC Jul 7, 2012 7:32 pm

I just booked 3 awards JFK-SIN-DPS for Easter vacation. Mega thanks to the OP even if they ultimately get refused by SQ. I'm hoping that I wake up to see good news on this thread.

Keba

jpripcord Jul 7, 2012 7:37 pm

Agent has me on hold after taking my credit card info. Everything came up and priced correctly in the system, but nervous about this extra hold time at the finish line.

Crossing my fingers!!!!

etsmyers Jul 7, 2012 7:38 pm

sorry for being an idiot here, but if I have USmiles, how do I book this.

skymatty Jul 7, 2012 7:43 pm

I was on hold for an hour and wasn't able to book. I hope you have better luck.

Originally Posted by jpripcord (Post 18888354)
Agent has me on hold after taking my credit card info. Everything came up and priced correctly in the system, but nervous about this extra hold time at the finish line.

Crossing my fingers!!!!

J.Edward Jul 7, 2012 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by etsmyers (Post 18888357)
sorry for being an idiot here, but if I have USmiles, how do I book this.

Use united.com to search for award space.

Once you've confirmed space exists on the flights you want (e.g. you can book them on UA's site) call into US, provide them with the flight numbers, and have them build and then issue the reservation.

alfrie Jul 7, 2012 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward (Post 18888387)
Use united.com to search for award space.

Once you've confirmed space exists on the flights you want (e.g. you can book them on UA's site) call into US, provide them with the flight numbers, and have them build and then issue the reservation.

I just booked SQ2 (SIN-SFO, 77W) in I with US miles. Ticket was issued instantly.