Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Etiquette with using the priority boarding lane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Etiquette with using the priority boarding lane

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by exerda
DEN for the Express flights boarded downstairs is like that. Yeah, they have the numbered lanes upstairs... and they call boarding by number... but then you go downstairs and wait some more, and no numbered lanes there. (I suppose sometimes they actually really are ready to board downstairs, but it's happened to me less than 10% of the time.)

I think some of the smaller CA stations also don't have the separate lanes, though they'll usually call nonetheless by group--although again, I've had many call "all groups" if they're running the least bit behind.
That's a good example. The 50s gates where they are sending people downstairs is a puzzler, especially when they are loading one plane right after another- or really just sending you downstairs. Even in group 1 you need to hump it if your gate is down at the end.

The last few 80-90 gates too are really tight. Sometimes you get G1 then everyone. With all the gates there and people coming off and late flights it gets pretty tangled.

The DEN RJ areas are bar far the worst designed areas I've come across in the system- or maybe it is that I just need to use them a lot- and boarding sequence is important, especially in bulkhead seats.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
In my experience if your group as already boarded and your late you get in line with the next group. I have watched FC passengers show up into Group 2 and they are forced to wait. It doesn't matter if it's late flight or just plain late to the airport.
Your experience in what sense?
  • This is what you voluntarily choose to do?
  • This is what you see others voluntarily choosing to do (but don't necessarily agree with)?
  • This is the "rule" you've see GAs enforce?
  • Something else?

If the first, that's your choice, but is hardly binding
If the second, I find that incredible as I'd imagine would go to their boarding line
If the third, they've been wrong
If the last, what did you mean?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: 1k
I think most are polite about it.
But, it seems many European countries don't believe in proper lines.
You may be standing in the line for a period of time, but there is a good chance many others will be cutting in front of you before you get to the gate.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Asiatraveler15
I think most are polite about it.
But, it seems many European countries don't believe in proper lines.
You may be standing in the line for a period of time, but there is a good chance many others will be cutting in front of you before you get to the gate.
Which European countries? Certainly not the ones I frequent (Switzerland, Germany, England). What you're saying sounds more like Middle Eastern countries
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Which European countries? Certainly not the ones I frequent (Switzerland, Germany, England). What you're saying sounds more like Middle Eastern countries
Italy for sure. Spain to a lesser extent.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I thought that when the "Priority boarding lane" was first introduced, it was marketed as giving you the ability to board early AND the option to board at your leisure. (This might have been another airline, can't remember that far back).

Anyways, whether I'm late, or just wanted more time in the lounge, or just want to stay out of the plane longer, I always go up to the priority lane. I've never waited more than a minute before the GA calls me forward.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: UA GS, LH FT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Presidents Club, National Exec Elite,
Originally Posted by joshwex90
HA! USA has the most polite queue there is. You named 3 Germanic countries above in which SU and DE perhaps are a little more civilized, whereas UK, sometimes but not really. The rest of Europe no one stands in a long queue like in the US. You huddle around and then just crowd the opening to board the jet. This happens 99% of the time in Europe. I actually feel like the plane is fully boarded quicker.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NikolaTesla
HA! USA has the most polite queue there is. You named 3 Germanic countries above in which SU and DE perhaps are a little more civilized, whereas UK, sometimes but not really. The rest of Europe no one stands in a long queue like in the US. You huddle around and then just crowd the opening to board the jet. This happens 99% of the time in Europe. I actually feel like the plane is fully boarded quicker.
We experience different Europes then

I find the no clue what a line is mentality pervasive in Israel, Jordan, Egypt, the Palestinian territories, and as far as I understand, many other Middle Eastern countries.

But not in Europe, to which I can also add France, Spain, and Belgium

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.