Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Process to create top UA FF concerns

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K; Avis Preferred; PriorityClub Gold; nada anywhere else
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
I would love to bring together the MMU site and a "United Flyers United" site like what Delta did and their "Save Delta Miles" - one site dedicated to all the United Flyers, whether they are 1K, MM or Premier.

Let me know and I can have it set up ASAP.

Yours, UG
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Is everyone going to just ignore this very good idea by U.G.?
It's a great idea-- but I think we ought to work on some sort of consensus first. Let's get everyone's concerns and then poll for how we want to prioritize. Perhaps the shell could be put together, but until we know how we want to populate it we don't really have anything to go live with.

As for coming up with a framework-- I can help with that, UG, if you like. Was an Information Architect before I moved into managing build projects.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:57 am

When the consensus list is developed, I think it should be grouped by status level.

i.e.

- this is the consensus of 1K flyers
- this is the consensus of silver flyers
- etc.

I suspect there may be differences in priorities by status level since some status levels don't even have opportunities that were once available to other status levels, so they would naturally have different expectations, and if there are 100 silvers that want x and 80 1k's that want y, it doesn't make sense for the priorities of the silvers to override the priorities of the 1ks.

We can also see if there are any priorities that are top for all groups.

It's clear that the CO mentality is to "treat all premiers as the same group" so this goes against the Ryanair mentality of this new regime, but the reality is, we're different, we have different needs, and no amount of wishing or forcing will change that fact.

As a concrete example, I'd expect that UG has got to be top priority for anyone who sits in one of these seats for more than 100K miles a year.

It can't be the same priority for a silver who doesn't fly that much and who frankly has no chance of upgrading no matter how much they wish for it given the reality of the competition for these seats in this new capacity constrained environment.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Abolish *S and concentrate on what matters

Originally Posted by mitchmu
When the consensus list is developed, I think it should be grouped by status level.

i.e.

- this is the consensus of 1K flyers
- this is the consensus of silver flyers
- etc.

I suspect there may be differences in priorities by status level since some status levels don't even have opportunities that were once available to other status levels, so they would naturally have different expectations, and if there are 100 silvers that want x and 80 1k's that want y, it doesn't make sense for the priorities of the silvers to override the priorities of the 1ks.

We can also see if there are any priorities that are top for all groups.

It's clear that the CO mentality is to "treat all premiers as the same group" so this goes against the Ryanair mentality of this new regime, but the reality is, we're different, we have different needs, and no amount of wishing or forcing will change that fact.

As a concrete example, I'd expect that UG has got to be top priority for anyone who sits in one of these seats for more than 100K miles a year.

It can't be the same priority for a silver who doesn't fly that much and who frankly has no chance of upgrading no matter how much they wish for it given the reality of the competition for these seats in this new capacity constrained environment.
OK, nobody else will say it, I will.

*S isn't worth the trouble. United (and others) should simply abolish the *S level entirely, replacing it with earned credits towards benefits as you go. Sort of the way one used to accumulate e500s, only these credits would be more like card punches on a coffee card. Good towards a free bag, or premiere check-in, or a seat in E+ confirmable at booking.

So abolish *S and replace it with earned credits, available to any GM. And make those credits available only through actual BIS miles.

That way we can end the discussion of what to do with or for lowly 2Ps entirely and keeps things clean.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky

*S isn't worth the trouble. United (and others) should simply abolish the *S level entirely, replacing it with earned credits towards benefits as you go. Sort of the way one used to accumulate e500s, only these credits would be more like card punches on a coffee card. Good towards a free bag, or premiere check-in, or a seat in E+ confirmable at booking.

So abolish *S and replace it with earned credits, available to any GM. And make those credits available only through actual BIS miles.

That way we can end the discussion of what to do with or for lowly 2Ps entirely and keeps things clean.
Sadly realistic IMHO and reinforces my own opinion that "Premier Gold" is the new "Silver."
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: AS 100K
The four highest-priority, actionable items for me would be:

1) Return of the RDM bonuses. At the very minimum, plats should get 100% bonus AS THEY DO ON AA AND DL. Even though I'm 1K myself, I feel very strongly about this.

2) The 1K 1Call line *absolutely* should be restored. It's promised to us in our packet FOR THIS CALENDAR YEAR!

3) GPU limits

4) Restore number of RPUs issued to 1K
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: Platinum
As a gold, all I ask for is IRROPs protection and access to US customer service. My travel is primarily leisure with family, and I find this ability to call reservation and have them fix things worth staying gold. I hope the new United will give back to the frontline staff the power and flexibility that the old United had.

And please do not split up my families PNR if I did not ask for it.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by JC1120
GS/1Ks want 4 non-fare-restricted GPUs, but Silvers through Platinums probably want the fare restriction because it makes their mileage upgrades somewhat easier.
Not universal consensus on this - I prefer it how it is.

Is everyone going to just ignore this very good idea by U.G.?
If a site were set up with no consensus, it would look even more disorganized than the existing site.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD

No FF program is going to abolish a 25K level when EVERY other FF program has one. It's not even worth debating. Won't ever happen (I'm not saying its a good or bad idea. Just to far fetched to not have a 25K level)
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
No FF program is going to abolish a 25K level when EVERY other FF program has one. It's not even worth debating. Won't ever happen (I'm not saying its a good or bad idea. Just to far fetched to not have a 25K level)
United already did.

Recall that I didn't propose abolishing benefits, just changed the way they're earned for the <50k flyer.

The present 2P status is an insulting way to step up to something worthwhile for the biz traveler.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:46 pm

The present 2P status is an insulting way to step up to something worthwhile for the biz traveler.
It definitely is insulting. At the same time, we silvers don't deserve (probably not the best word but I can't think of anything better) near the same befits as those with 50K+ BIS. That said, as I've noted before, it's in Gold/1Ks/GS interest to have the silver level there as it provides a (theoretical) buffer for the eventual erosion of benefits that have already come or are coming. If there is a way for you to capitalize on the sheer numbers of silvers then I think it would be good as you make your point(s). Also as I've said before, I'm more than happy to advocate for your needs as well.

FWIW I don't really count on much out of my status anymore. A free checked bag was nice when I travelled on AC last weekend. That's it. At the same time, I buy mostly Y/B or F fares and I find it strangely ironic that as more and more time goes by (certainly since the merger), the difference between how I'm treated (when on Y/B or F fare) and how my GS best friend is treated has become almost nil. We often joke about it over drinks. Last we flew together (both in F), he noted the only difference between our treatment was his ability to call a separate phone line when our flight was very delayed. Even that was ironic, as I got taken care of faster on my phone line than he did on his! He just got spoken to nicer. Perhaps it is because I have so many friends with higher status that I'm more inclined to advocate for benefits that aren't germaine to my status, but I think I see it as more of a big picture issue that could eventually affect us all en masse and it's wise for us to collaborate than divide and conquer.

I suspect that the way of the future is revenue based. It's already happening, really. For me, I probably would end off better that way given my purchasing patterns. But if you don't want that to happen I would urge people to get together rather than act separately.

Last edited by nyctravis; Jun 11, 2012 at 1:55 pm
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
United already did.

Recall that I didn't propose abolishing benefits, just changed the way they're earned for the <50k flyer.

My comment was not intended to say your idea was a bad one, just so far out there I can't see such a thing happening. UA won't be the only FFP with no 25K level. Business wise it makes no sense

There are quite a few silver card holders that are happy with there 1 free bag, E+ at check in and yes, even the occasional upgrade. I have sat next to two silver card holders in F that were upgraded so it does happen.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 4:31 pm

Abolish 2P but benefits accrue at just 10k miles

My comment was not intended to say your idea was a bad one, just so far out there I can't see such a thing happening. UA won't be the only FFP with no 25K level. Business wise it makes no sense

There are quite a few silver card holders that are happy with there 1 free bag, E+ at check in and yes, even the occasional upgrade. I have sat next to two silver card holders in F that were upgraded so it does happen.
The LCCs have rather anemic FF programs and yet do fairly well.

Moving 2P to "earned" a la carte benefits could create a more specific relationship between flying and benefits and actually encourage greater participation, not less.

No 25k tier? Think of the advantages of saying you've got a program with benefits that begin at just 10k miles! 10k might get you one round trip in E+ on your next flight. Or two free checked bags, your choice.

Ah, the brilliance of the old e500. Let the customer decide how to prioritize benefits. What a concept.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'd like a return to the PMCO position of giving 500 mile minimums on US Airways. They kept this for a little while after the merger but have since reverted to flown miles only.

Also I wouldn't mind a 100% RDM bonus for Premier Gold members but I don't think that's going to happen.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
I'm tolerant of many of the changes; I get it - consolidation means we get less for more - that's the point. My biggest frustration comes primarily from systems and/or procedures that increase my workload and/or do not behave as expected.

Here is my short list, in order of importance:

1) Upgrades. Fix/Build a simpler system for managing upgrades, waitlists and buy-ups.

a) Types. Simplify - rather than have so many different types of upgrades all requiring different (and sometimes contradictory) inventory, perhaps just have R and RN. Regardless of whether you’re using miles+copay, GPU, RPU – just use the same bucket. If M/B/Y get instant upgrades, process those with R if it is available, and if not, waitlist those upgrades along with the others. If you want to clear YBM before anything else, fine, build that into the waitlist logic, but using a separate process for those upgrades creates confusion and opportunity for failure.

b) Waitlists. Make a SINGLE list, sort the list exactly as you state you will sort it - and clear people in that order. Run that process until X minutes before departure, then move that list EXACTLY AS IT IS into a gate-run list (that before that time IS EMPTY) and let the gate agents run the list from there. RPU, CPU, GPU, miles, whatever - same list - same sort order. When upgrade inventory goes from 0 to >0, immediately trigger waitlist clearing. The 24 hour problem, the multiple segments problem, the CPU v instrument priority problem on airport lists - these all can be fixed by NOT handling these all differently. Same list. Same order. Clear process.

c) TODs. Publish TOD upgrade policy and integrate it with the system - if the policy is to make TOD upgrades available inside of 24 hours whenever F inventory exceeds the number of revenue pax on the waitlist, then say that and include a disclaimer that if F=8, WL=6 and you sell 2 upgrades and then someone buys an F seat that one elite will end up not getting upgraded, even though an upgrade was sold to a non-elite. It would obviously be best for elites if UA only sold upgrades if R>0 (in my world that would mean no rev pax were on the waitlist inside of 24 hours), but I understand that might be impractical. The best possible suggestion would be to offer TOD waitlisting, meaning that all pax get the offer to buy up to a fare that would allow immediate clearing (YMBPZAF) depending on current availability, or the option for non-status pax to waitlist for an upgrade, on a FIFO basis, for whatever price they want to charge to fill empty seats – either collect the money and refund it quickly or authorize the charge, but only actually charge it at the gate if the upgrade clears after all status pax have been upgraded.

2) RPU earning. UACO has made it clear they don’t like RPUs at all – earning is dramatically curtailed and they’re not available through PerksPlus anymore. I’d like to see the earning ability for RPUs returned to 8 per year for 1Ks – given that 1Ks fly 50-150 segments/year, being able to upgrade 8 of those would be nice. I liked the 2/qtr, but some other earning strategy would be fine.

3) RPU/GPU expiration. Not sure why UACO is being so cheap with the SWUs, but it is frustrating that SWUs aren’t good for the entire qualifying year.

4) Lifetime Benefits. I am not a MM flyer, but this is the only issue that hasn’t impacted me that I feel strongly about. I don’t like the “slippery slope” of materially changing a “lifetime” benefit.

If SMI/J called me and said he’d have #1 fixed by July 1 if I’d drop my other issues, I’d agree to that.

Last edited by 000123UA; Jun 12, 2012 at 4:46 pm Reason: clarify.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by 000123UA
If SMI/J called me and said he’d have #1 fixed by July 1 if I’d drop my other issues, I’d agree to that.
100% agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.