Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Process to create top UA FF concerns

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2012, 9:55 am

I generally travel to a bowling tournament once a year, and bring 3 bowling balls along with me. One of the things that pushed me to get silver last year for the first time (though not the only thing, and I knew it was probably changing even while I was doing it) was the free checked bags. The drop from 3 to 1 isn't so much a problem as the drop from 70lbs to 50lbs. I bring along 3 bowling balls, each 16lbs, and they go in a bag... total weight is around 60lbs. It'd be nice to not have to move a ball to my carry-on and clothes to the bowling bag. (My carry-on actually got damaged this year because of it, but Costco took it back for a full refund.) It also occasionally takes some convincing to get the ball through TSA, but I've never not been able to do it.

For next year, I have the United Club card and I can split then into two smaller bags. But a 70lb bag instead of a 50lb bag would be huge for me.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 9:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Updated post #1

Since UA has stated
Ending the restrictions that (apparently) SHARES imposes on what can be done with reservations, upgrade requests, etc. within 24 hours of flight.
2. No more ability to buy United Club membership with miles. (I know they claim it's "temporary" but it seems like a gimmick to sell credit cards)
are already on the list to change, it seems we should focus on things we want on the list (but I see the potential to accelerate those items).

The discussion so far suggests a fairly wide range desired change -- a number of the suggestions go beyound restore loss beneifts to major enhancements. Also, the individuals elite level colors their view -- don't know if we we can pick based on what is best for the community vs what is best for me.

I am struggling with two suggestions
End of TODs
Transparent Upgrade process

On the TODs, I think this is a vague topic. If goes from no up selling of domestic F, to only selling if waitlist is empty, to only offer to elites, .... and how much of this is process error vs policy issues. Personally I think it is unrealistic to ask UA to forgo revenue if the TODs are legit fare differential. So help me phrase this issue.

And what is a "transparent upgrade process", that seems to mean many different things -- please make suggestions to a more actionable phrasing.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 10:29 am

In response to the posts suggesting separating elite tiers or giving more/less weight to some vs others: I find it odd that often people don't realize just how much benefits to one may affect the other. I think it's in our best interests to be mutually supportive.

For example, if you're not getting your Y/B/M-ups then I certainly won't get my Y/B ups. Conversely, as the lower level elites benefits erode, that just gives more room to erode upwards to where the 1K and GS is next. Erosion is both upwards and downwards. I'm very much supportive of retaining the benefits you get and I'm happy to be a part of voicing that even as a Silver, and would argue that it's also in your benefit to do the same for the lowly silvers to help buffer yourself from being next.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Below is a list of changes (or in some cases a continuation of one subsidiary’s policy but a change for the other)

- Loss of FlexEQMs for higher than Plat status
This is not a downgrade as neither airline ever allowed FlexEQM for status higher than Plat: CO allowed them up to Plat, UA did not allow them.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mduell
This is not a downgrade as neither airline ever allowed FlexEQM for status higher than Plat: CO allowed them up to Plat, UA did not allow them.

PMCO allowd them up to their highest elite level (Plat). I believe the point is they should now be allowed to the new highest level of 1K.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
- Reduction in RDM bonus for Plat (75%) and Gold (50%)
This is my main concern
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
I believe that, with a phone call, last year they could be applied to 1K status.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Did Silver's ever get 3x70 for baggage? I don't think so.
I would like bonus miles to go back to what they were.
Silver's allowed to select E+
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I'd only advocate a few fined tuned changes:
standy
Implement a scheme like LH and do away with any changes for fares lesser than M. That will educate discipline in time management of the 'lesser' elites.
E+
Make everyone pay for it, so that there is always space for the late bookers. Charge a lesser premium for GS.
Do only offer elite bonus RDM on E+ or higher fares.
meals
Don't provide any meals but levy a charge for those who bring their own.
Do not cater alcohol as this saves fuel.
upgrades
Restrict the use of the future 4 SWU to fares B and higher.
Always clear ugs at the gate unless you pay for the TOD.
Offer the meals from the originally purchased class of service which is none for Y->C.

That should be definitely sufficient. But even if the current regiment stays, I will not regret to have moved my business elsewhere .
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Changes I would like to reverse (in order of priority):
  • Four non-fare limited GPUs replaced with six fare limited GPUs (or better yet go for six non-fare restricted). My biggest issue is the need to pay up front for the right to apply for an upgrade. I would be OK with refundable copay for GPUs on low fares if I could get 6 or 8 when qualifying for 1K.
  • Restore Silver bag allowance (3x70). I could settle for one bag more than the GM allowance on all flights. Currently silvers have no bag allowance benefits on international flights.
  • Loss of FlexEQMs for higher than Plat status. This is a joke, giving a benefit to everyone except the airline's\s best customers?
  • GPUs posting at earning vs end of the year (or better yet post at earning and expire at end of elite year)

Changes I like:
  • Silver losing E+ access at booking. I have a hard time reserving E+seats now. I think the current status (Silvers don't have to pay but have to give higher status elites first dibs) is fair.
  • Reduction in RDM bonus for Plat (75%) and Gold (50%).

Don't Care:
  • Reduction in MM benefits (Annual regionals/GPU, RDM bonus, Lifetime UC for 2MM, …) we can narrow down this into sub-pieces if need be later)
  • Boarding Process (no dedicated line for Gold & higher)
  • Change in method for meal choice priority (front to back except GS vs Stars approach based on status/paid)
  • Change in regional earning (2/qtr to 2 @75K+2 more per 25K)
  • Return to e500s vs CPU
  • CPU priority/TOD "reform".

Kudos to WineCountryUA for satrting this thread
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:35 pm

I don't think you'll get consensus here, as everyone is a different level.

GS/1Ks want 4 non-fare-restricted GPUs, but Silvers through Platinums probably want the fare restriction because it makes their mileage upgrades somewhat easier.

Silvers want E+ for free, but the top tiers lose out if the masses of silvers can get it before day-of-departure.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold / *A Gold
Avoid zero-sum us vs. them concerns

The needs and desires of low level vs. high level elites will make it hard to come to a consensus that we can all rally behind to get some action on.

We should try to avoid issues that are really zero-sum. For example, what helps me out as a silver hurts an upper tier (such as E+ at reservation).

After 3/3, the global "shrinkage" of miles awarded was something that was not zero-sum, it affected everyone from GM to GS. Got a lot of attention in the media, and United relented.

It is my suggestion that we focus on perks lost or diluted that tend to affect all elites, rather than the zero-sum "us vs. them" perks.

Most issues are hybrid of perks than are just pure cut backs or driven by United wanting to grab more money and the zero-sum, but quite a few issues tend to be far less zero-sum than others. Focus on these non (or nearly non) zero-sum issues.

Last edited by dhelman; Jun 9, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JC1120
GS/1Ks want 4 non-fare-restricted GPUs, but Silvers through Platinums probably want the fare restriction because it makes their mileage upgrades somewhat easier.
Not a universal sentiment - give me 6 with the W restriction please. It stinks on routes like SYD where the differential can be $1K, but I use them a lot on HKG and it's ~$300 these days. Well worth it IMO esp. if confirmed at booking.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Especially for someone who maybe flies 1 intl flight a year for leisure but most of my travel is mostly domestic, I'm ok with blowing some of the GPU's on domestic travel for hard upgrades. I'd rather have more GPU's with the restrictions. Consensus will be hard to find on this, I agree, because we all have different travel patterns.

My top concerns are domestic upgrades
Old Jun 9, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
restore meaningful phone service

The biggest thing I miss is a 1k phone line which is staffed by people who are empowered and able to fix unexpected problems. These people must be able to do this without finding a supervisor for everything and keeping me holding in the process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.