Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YCA (Government Fares) Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The instant upgrade is more complicated! Within 96 h, only 1K is eligible for upgrade. Non-1K needs R space, not PN space, at booking.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
The instant upgrade is more complicated! Within 96 h, only 1K is eligible for upgrade. Non-1K needs R space, not PN space, at booking.
Yes, it is more complicated! Technically it is RN space, as I understand, but practically that's the same as R.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Can't find this anywhere else, but if you're booked in full Y (aka YCA) does that give you access to E+? Silver status if that matters.
Even a Y booking of a regular (non-govt) fare doesn't provide E+ access by itself. A bit odd, yes, but that's how it is.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:10 am

I have a Y fare. Can I call and buy up? There is C fare available on my flight. Will the AO care or will it effect anything regarding the flexibility of my ticket? Cancellation etc.

Does it get purchased on my Govt CC and I just don’t claim the extra amount?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
I have a Y fare. Can I call and buy up? There is C fare available on my flight. Will the AO care or will it effect anything regarding the flexibility of my ticket? Cancellation etc.

It depends on the fare. There are actually govie premium fares. If they're selling you one of those, then they'll require the government credit card. Using it that way was generally frowned upon.

If you buy it up to a regular fare, those new fare rules will apply. So if there are change fees, or it becomes nonrefundable - that would take precedence.

I think the safest way was to buy a HOD/TOD if offered, or use miles or a cert if you have them. That would all be paid on your personal card.

When in doubt, ask your org's travel department. They'll likely know more than the AO, and can help keep you running afoul of the rules. You don't want to lose government CC privileges.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Superguy
It depends on the fare. There are actually govie premium fares. If they're selling you one of those, then they'll require the government credit card. Using it that way was generally frowned upon.
I’ve been buying higher fares after original purchase in order to upgrade for more than a decade, and UA has never required that the fare increase be paid for on my government credit card.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by halls120

I’ve been buying higher fares after original purchase in order to upgrade for more than a decade, and UA has never required that the fare increase be paid for on my government credit card.
The times I tried it were at IAD, and they were trying to fare me to a CCA. Maybe I just got agents that didn't know. Flights ended up selling upgrades so that actually worked out better.

Now that I'm green, I buy up when possible.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:09 am

The times I tried it were at IAD, and they were trying to fare me to a CCA. Maybe I just got agents that didn't know. Flights ended up selling upgrades so that actually worked out better.

Now that I'm green, I buy up when possible.
I always did it through the UA Government Desk.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another difference between departments I guess. Seems everyone has different rules - and maybe more flexibility if you were a senior. The agency I worked for had a contracted travel company we had to book air travel thru. They knew the rules and wouldn't let anything thru. Other problem was they typically wouldn't ticket until 3 days out. Could make upgrades hard, though you could get approval to ticket early.

Hotel and car you had more leeway and could book direct.

I do all my own travel arrangements now. Just have to get the numbers approved before I book.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:18 am

Is there a specific phone number for the UA Government Desk or do I just have to call the regular number and ask to be transferred?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:59 pm

Another difference between departments I guess. Seems everyone has different rules - and maybe more flexibility if you were a senior. The agency I worked for had a contracted travel company we had to book air travel thru. They knew the rules and wouldn't let anything thru. Other problem was they typically wouldn't ticket until 3 days out. Could make upgrades hard, though you could get approval to ticket early.
Every time I travel for the government, I request - and they comply - that SATO ticket the flight immediately. There is no reason not to, as I buy fully refundable government fares.
therossinator likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:14 pm

Do you upfare to Y or just W+? Does the ticket remain refundable or is it just converted to a ticket with the restrictions of the fare class you upfare to?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every time I travel for the government, I request - and they comply - that SATO ticket the flight immediately. There is no reason not to, as I buy fully refundable government fares.
I agree there isn't - especially if it's refundable. Just not how that particular agency rolls.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Originally Posted by UAFLYER22

I just made a massive presentation on what I learned about flying United that I presented to my command before I PCSed last week. I've attached the portion regarding upgrading.
Attached Files
File Type: pptx
United YCA Upgrades.pptx (307.0 KB, 139 views)
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by therossinator
I just made a massive presentation on what I learned about flying United that I presented to my command before I PCSed last week. I've attached the portion regarding upgrading.
I would include a caution about purchasing/selling RPUs/GPUs. What you say is correct, but selling is against United's T&C's. Wouldn't want a commanding officer to lose his MP account because he took your advice on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.