Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YCA (Government Fares) Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
The upgrade priority is based on status and then fare class. With YCA fare, you can use miles and no copay to upgrade these long haul flights (15K miles for Europe and 20K miles for Asia, one way). So, status is important in order to clear the upgrades. If your upgrade is not clear, you can still have E+ seats with status.
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
any updates/recent experiences on this? Just got a new job (WAS-based) that will have lots of int'l travel. AA EXP currently, just requaled, but I will have to fly routes where UA/*A is the contract carrier. Is it worth it to try and status match? Primary concern is ability to upgrade to J on long haul from a YCA fare.
Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

any updates/recent experiences on this? Just got a new job (WAS-based) that will have lots of int'l travel. AA EXP currently, just requaled, but I will have to fly routes where UA/*A is the contract carrier. Is it worth it to try and status match? Primary concern is ability to upgrade to J on long haul from a YCA fare.

Thanks
If your YCA fare books into a W fare or higher, you will have a good chance of upgrading. If it books into a cheaper fare, you're pretty much screwed unless 1) you book early when R>0 or 2) you are 1K. I've been able to upgrade most of my TATL flights on UA even after losing 1K because I have the luxury of booking well in advance of travel.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by halls120
If your YCA fare books into a W fare or higher, you will have a good chance of upgrading. If it books into a cheaper fare, you're pretty much screwed unless 1) you book early when R>0 or 2) you are 1K. I've been able to upgrade most of my TATL flights on UA even after losing 1K because I have the luxury of booking well in advance of travel.
YCA fares are treated as full Y fares. There’s variety in whether a -CA fare is an S, a W, a V, etc.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by sannmann
YCA fares are treated as full Y fares. There’s variety in whether a -CA fare is an S, a W, a V, etc.
I've had a YCA fare book as a Q fare. I've never had a -CA fare book W or higher. They are almost always S or L.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Ive had YCA book into sub-Y fare. Have had success asking TA to book into Y with no change in cost. Not sure whats up w that. Also, sometimes the price dofferential between YCA and _CA is minimal and then I will pay out
of pocket.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In an IG audit, booking someone into anything other than the lowest fare bucket which accomplishes the mission pretty much constitutes "waste, fraud, and abuse."

Nothing prohibits you from buying up to any fare, so long as you do not disturb key features such as flexibility.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
In an IG audit, booking someone into anything other than the lowest fare bucket which accomplishes the mission pretty much constitutes "waste, fraud, and abuse."

Nothing prohibits you from buying up to any fare, so long as you do not disturb key features such as flexibility.
Thats what i do. If it can be booked into Y at no cost to govt i do it. If there is any addl cost to govt i pay the difference out of pocket. All are govt fares, vouchers always submitted at lowest available cost. My travel is quite closely scrutinized and no one has an issue so far. Do you see an issue here?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Often1

It’s only waste fraud and abuse if I bill the government for the difference between the lowest available government fare and a higher fare. I have been buying up to the higher fare with my own money for the last two years, which is why my upgrade percentage is just as high as it was when I was a 1K.

Originally Posted by masonp123
Thats what i do. If it can be booked into Y at no cost to govt i do it. If there is any addl cost to govt i pay the difference out of pocket. All are govt fares, vouchers always submitted at lowest available cost. My travel is quite closely scrutinized and no one has an issue so far. Do you see an issue here?
No issue as long as you don’t claim the upfare amount.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 5:10 am

I've had a YCA fare book as a Q fare. I've never had a -CA fare book W or higher. They are almost always S or L.
That’s not a YCA fare. That’s either a QCA (-CA fare booking into Q) or a QDG fare. YCA fares are Y fares. What bucket the -CA fares book into is a company decision; however, since YCA fares have to have last seat availability, they must book into Y.

It’s only waste fraud and abuse if I bill the government for the difference between the lowest available government fare and a higher fare. I have been buying up to the higher fare with my own money for the last two years, which is why my upgrade percentage is just as high as it was when I was a 1K.

No issue as long as you don’t claim the upfare amount.
How do you upfare? Is it possible to call the United Government fare desk to do it? Or, do you have to have your CTO do it for you?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2017 at 5:20 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:30 am

How do you upfare? Is it possible to call the United Government fare desk to do it? Or, do you have to have your CTO do it for you?
I have had to have the ticket issued as-is, then call the TA to reissue. I then pay the fare difference and the add'l TA fee out of pocket (submit the original ticket receipt). I have not had success trying to reticket with United in this manner. On occassion Ive askee the TA to rebook into full Y when there is no price difference at all, and they have done it without the addl step of ticketing. Not sure why/how the YCA fare is being charged at a less-then-Y fare basis.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:34 am

YCA fares are Y fares. What bucket the -CA fares book into is a company decision; however, since YCA fares have to have last seat availability, they must book into Y.
I have had many YCA fares book as W, Q or V fares on United.

LOL, the CTO is the last place to do that. The UA government fare desk will do it most of the time - some of the agents will say they can't, but all you need to do is HUACA.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:37 am

The UA government fare desk will do it most of the time - some of the agents will say they can't, but all you need to do is HUACA.
This is good to know. I havent had success w that, but only recently switched from AA to UA. In all cases I eventually got our TA to do it, but then had to pay their relatively minor fee.

Exactly.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2017 at 6:41 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 8, 2017, 6:45 am

LOL, the CTO is the last place to do that. The UA government fare desk will do it most of the time - some of the agents will say they can't, but all you need to do is HUACA.
Sorry, non-concur. YCA fares book as Y. -CA fares book as less than Y.

Good copy on the Government fare desk.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Can't find this anywhere else, but if you're booked in full Y (aka YCA) does that give you access to E+? Silver status if that matters.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Can't find this anywhere else, but if you're booked in full Y (aka YCA) does that give you access to E+? Silver status if that matters.
No. Silver status will get E+ at check-in.

edit: Might be worth adding that Silver status will allow you to use the instant upgrade (to F) if space becomes available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.