Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YCA (Government Fares) Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by GBadger
In general (at least in my experience), to invoke any of the rules like this "14-hour" rule, you need signed approval from your supervisor, your supervisor's supervisor, the travel department, and the agency who's footing the bill. Generally, it's heavily scrutinized.
Exactly. Where I work the 14 hour rule is basically never invoked. It is almost always cheaper to pay for a stopover en-route or an extra day of rest upon arrival compared to buying a biz class ticket.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:33 am

city pairs with only YCA fare, no discount CA?

I'm looking at a city pair on the GSA website where _only_ a YCA fare is shown, nothing under the cheaper _CA. In this case the instant upgrade eligibility would seem to be unavoidable. I've never seen this before -- is this common? A mistake? A rare but pleasant circumstance??
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
I see them here and there, so I guess it's a somewhat rare and pleasant circumstance.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:57 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
it all depends... with our agency, one may "book" the YCA via the online res system, but before the agency tickets, they check if _CA is avail and ticket in the lowest fare class. I've had several colleagues who used to book YCA to europe and upgrade (if avail) for 15k miles... now their tickets are being booked in _CA, it has become 20k + $$$ co-pay.

Originally Posted by Starman
I'm looking at a city pair on the GSA website where _only_ a YCA fare is shown, nothing under the cheaper _CA. In this case the instant upgrade eligibility would seem to be unavoidable. I've never seen this before -- is this common? A mistake? A rare but pleasant circumstance??
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by thezipper
it all depends... with our agency, one may "book" the YCA via the online res system, but before the agency tickets, they check if _CA is avail and ticket in the lowest fare class. I've had several colleagues who used to book YCA to europe and upgrade (if avail) for 15k miles... now their tickets are being booked in _CA, it has become 20k + $$$ co-pay.
To clarify, this is not an issue of whether the discount _CA fare bucket happens to be open and available for a given flight. Rather, the GSA website which lists all the successfully negotiated fares for the current fiscal year only shows a YCA fare negotiated for that city pair, with no _CA fare in existence. I had not seen this before.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
To clarify, this is not an issue of whether the discount _CA fare bucket happens to be open and available for a given flight. Rather, the GSA website which lists all the successfully negotiated fares for the current fiscal year only shows a YCA fare negotiated for that city pair, with no _CA fare in existence. I had not seen this before.
While not very common, I've seen it a fair amount of times, so not extremely unusual. Have seen it on transcons as well as shorter-distance city pairs. I assume that it's the airline's decision whether or not they want to negotiate a _CA fare or not.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My last flight to MEX, I selected the YCA fare because there was no CA fare available, and when I was ticketed, it was in W and no instant upgrade.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
If only YCA was available, that's one thing.

But If travelers are/were intentionally booking higher-priced YCA fares when _CA were available to obtain such benefits at lower personal cost, I hope they are held accountable for wasting taxpayer funds. Makes all of us look bad when you read about stuff like that.

Originally Posted by halls120
My last flight to MEX, I selected the YCA fare because there was no CA fare available, and when I was ticketed, it was in W and no instant upgrade.
Yep, that's been my experience too, and the way it should be, frankly. If _CA is (or becomes) available, no reason why we should burn travel dollars on YCA.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 6, 2014 at 3:34 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
I have definitely seen it on international routes fairly frequently in past years . . . to my disappointment (from a personal and upgrade standpoint) this year a lot more flights have a _CA, which has been booking into S, just below GPU eligibility and with high miles+$ copay. What's particularly frustrating is that on many of these fares, the difference between YCA and _CA is relatively small ($250) given the rather significant benefits. In fact, if one want to upgrade (and had the guarantee), paying the difference personally would be better than paying the higher copay and miles.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The decision to purchase a more expensive fare than necessary in order to provide a personal benefit to an employee is exactly the sort of "waste, fraud & abuse" which is investigated by agency Inspectors General.

Example of killing the goose which laid the golden egg. Sooner or later --- and it only takes one Congressional hearing about feds flying F --- GSA will simply ban feds from accepting F or UA will pull the upgradeability of YCA fares so as not to get into a fight.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The decision to purchase a more expensive fare than necessary in order to provide a personal benefit to an employee is exactly the sort of "waste, fraud & abuse" which is investigated by agency Inspectors General.

Example of killing the goose which laid the golden egg. Sooner or later --- and it only takes one Congressional hearing about feds flying F --- GSA will simply ban feds from accepting F or UA will pull the upgradeability of YCA fares so as not to get into a fight.
Just so you understand what started this most recent part of the thread, the issue is that GSA is not offering a discounted _CA gov't fare on certain city pairs, but ONLY the YCA fare. The discount federal fare does not exist. It cannot be purchased this fiscal year. Ever. For any flight on that city pair. None. Zero. Nada. My question was how common this is. when one is forced to buy YCA because it is the only federal fare.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:23 pm

Just so you understand what started this most recent part of the thread, the issue is that GSA is not offering a discounted _CA gov't fare on certain city pairs, but ONLY the YCA fare. The discount federal fare does not exist. It cannot be purchased this fiscal year. Ever. For any flight on that city pair. None. Zero. Nada. My question was how common this is. when one is forced to buy YCA because it is the only federal fare.
I understand, and did not intend my comments to be directed towards you. You are talking about a situation where YCA is absolutely legitimate because there is no other _CA option. While not extremely common, it certainly does exist in some markets (and varies year to year). I personally encounter it once or twice a year, out of perhaps a dozen trips.

I was referring to situations regarding intentional excess spending of govt funds on YCA to gain personal benefits when lower-cost _CA fares existed. That's a major ethical no-no, if not illegal.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1

Except that a YCA fare isn't purchased in order to give the traveler a personal benefit. It's purchased when the traveler needs flexibility. It sounds great on paper that feds should travel on penalty fares - until 2 or 3 schedule changes eat up the savings realized in buying the cheaper fare.

Most of the travel taken by our staff is short fuse - less than 72 hours notice. For them, there is almost never a CA fare available. I had a staff member stuck in Atlanta last week. The only reason he was able to get out after spending 24 extra hours than expected was because he had a refundable YCA fare, and was able to change from UA to DL and get out earlier than he would have otherwise been able to.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA1K .455 MM, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Even if book "YCA" Fares

it can still book into any class of ticket, it just depends on the flight's load.

All of my travel is international and shows up in the travel system as YCAs (when contract rates exist) and we end up with any fare between Y-S. Even on international non-contract rates, I usually only get W-V-Q-U flights...very rare to get a B/Y in last 2 years. In the last year, because of sequestration, we have even been forced to book restricted/penalty fares to save costs as well.

I usually only get higher Y fares because ticketing policy is only to ticket 72 hours out from the start of travel. Only time I get tickets before 72 hours is when the foreign carriers give a cancellation deadline and the seats are goign fast!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
My tax dollars at work!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.