YCA (Government Fares) Upgrades?

Old May 6, 12, 3:04 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: washington, dc, usa
Posts: 244
YCA (Government Fares) Upgrades?

My understanding is that YCA (government fares) are being counted as full fare "Y" fares for the upgrade window (meaning a government worker with Silver status beats everyone except a GS).

I have a IAD to TPA that I just booked on AA, since upgrades on that route are almost impossible with all the government traffic. Great if you work for the government - lousy for the rest of us.

Anyone know if this is going to be PMUA's standard policy?
dcdavido is offline  
Old May 6, 12, 5:00 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,158
Originally Posted by dcdavido View Post
Anyone know if this is going to be PMUA's standard policy?
I don't think the PMUA policies matter much at all any more.

The stated policy of the company is that the Y fares - government or otherwise - get the Y-Up benefit.
sbm12 is offline  
Old May 6, 12, 5:09 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 62
As a fellow fed who also flies full fare of our DC airports (per our policy to have fully refundable tickets), you should be aware of "optics" about upgrading and seriously consider whether you'd be known as a gov't official on the flight and (You can thank the GSA and SS right now for mucking perception of federal employees further up).
Jerichohill is offline  
Old May 6, 12, 5:18 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: LHR (sometimes CLE, SFO, BOS, LAX, SEA)
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 5,808
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I don't think the PMUA policies matter much at all any more.
I can imagine a world where people use sUA = UA, sCO = CO, and PMUA = post-merger UA
mherdeg is offline  
Old May 6, 12, 6:21 pm
  #5  
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SFO, CDG, PBI
Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Posts: 28,435
Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I don't think the PMUA policies matter much at all any more.
I can imagine a world where people use sUA = UA, sCO = CO, and PMUA = post-merger UA
And post-merger UA = COdbaUA
ContinentalFan likes this.
goalie is offline  
Old May 6, 12, 6:48 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 41,008
Originally Posted by Jerichohill View Post
As a fellow fed who also flies full fare of our DC airports (per our policy to have fully refundable tickets), you should be aware of "optics" about upgrading and seriously consider whether you'd be known as a gov't official on the flight and (You can thank the GSA and SS right now for mucking perception of federal employees further up).
You must be working for a pretty rich federal agency, because in my agency, we no longer fly on fully refundable Y fares unless we are very sure there will be no changes. Our booking engine defaults to the cheapest penalty fare available, and if we don't take it, we better be able to justify it.

That said, when we were flying refundable tickets, I upgraded without shame.
halls120 is online now  
Old May 7, 12, 8:20 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: washington, dc, usa
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by dcdavido View Post
Anyone know if this is going to be PMUA's standard policy?
Sorry I meant post merger (I guess COdbaUA).

I guess this is here to stay. Tough because anything transcon to/from IAD was always tough, and as a 1K if I ever made it, it was last or next to last on the list. I'm sure this will push me down a couple of spots per trans-con flight.

Also pretty much eliminates IAD-TPA, especially on the A319.
dcdavido is offline  
Old May 7, 12, 9:30 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Gold, MR Gold
Posts: 734
Originally Posted by dcdavido View Post
Also pretty much eliminates IAD-TPA, especially on the A319.
I recently missed IAD-TPA on a 757. On a Wednesday. As a 1K on a V-Fare. I blame Gov YCA's for at least part of the failure.
smashr is offline  
Old May 7, 12, 9:45 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 124
If I am not mistaken though, on transcons, isn't the list first sorted by status, then fare? So a Silver with a Y fare would still be lower on the list, correct? Or is the list still sorted by fare first?
HSmartt is offline  
Old May 7, 12, 10:00 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,158
Originally Posted by HSmartt View Post
If I am not mistaken though, on transcons, isn't the list first sorted by status, then fare? So a Silver with a Y fare would still be lower on the list, correct? Or is the list still sorted by fare first?
It is a hybrid of sorts, though transcons aren't particularly different other than the p.s. flights.

Any elite on a Y or B fare is going to trump a 1K on an E fare, for example, but once you get away from the Y/B fares status matters more than fare basis.
sbm12 is offline  
Old May 7, 12, 10:44 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Posts: 5,817
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
You must be working for a pretty rich federal agency, because in my agency, we no longer fly on fully refundable Y fares unless we are very sure there will be no changes. Our booking engine defaults to the cheapest penalty fare available, and if we don't take it, we better be able to justify it.

That said, when we were flying refundable tickets, I upgraded without shame.
I thought all contract fares were refundable. There are capacity controlled and last-seat (YCA). At least that's what we see. Buying non-refundables means a non-contract fare and, technically, is contrary to the GSA fare program.
drewguy is offline  
Old May 7, 12, 11:24 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
It is a hybrid of sorts, though transcons aren't particularly different other than the p.s. flights.

Any elite on a Y or B fare is going to trump a 1K on an E fare, for example, but once you get away from the Y/B fares status matters more than fare basis.
Oops, I meant transatlantic - not transcon. For overseas, I am under the impression that status is going to come first still, as the complementary upgrade system is different. Is that correct?
HSmartt is offline  
Old May 7, 12, 11:30 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: IAD
Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
Posts: 2,366
Originally Posted by HSmartt View Post
Oops, I meant transatlantic - not transcon. For overseas, I am under the impression that status is going to come first still, as the complementary upgrade system is different. Is that correct?
What complementary upgrade system is there for TATLs? None of which I am aware.
6rugrats is offline  
Old May 7, 12, 11:39 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by 6rugrats View Post
What complementary upgrade system is there for TATLs? None of which I am aware.
Sorry, didn't mean that there was a complementary upgrade system for overseas, just that the upgrade waitlist was different...imagine what THAT waitlist would look like!!!
HSmartt is offline  
Old May 7, 12, 11:39 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,158
Originally Posted by HSmartt View Post
Oops, I meant transatlantic - not transcon. For overseas, I am under the impression that status is going to come first still, as the complementary upgrade system is different. Is that correct?
For non-CPU routes the upgrade priority is status then fare then date of request.
sbm12 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: