Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YCA (Government Fares) Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by halls120
Why? Are you saying he can't use miles or SWU to upgrade?
Same Q. NOTHING in the regs says you're not allowed to upgrade.

Actual reg:

§301-10.107 Are there any exceptions to the use of a
contract city-pair fare?
Yes, your agency may authorize use of a fare other-than a contract city-pair fare when—

[snip]

(c) A non-contract carrier offers a lower fare to the general public that, if used, will result in a lower total trip cost to the Government (the combined costs of transportation, lodging, meals, and related expenses considered);

Also:

§301-10.108 What requirements must be met to use a non-contract fare?

[snip]

(b) If the non-contract fare is non-refundable, restricted, or has specific eligibility requirements, you must know or reasonably anticipate, based on your planned trip, that you will use the ticket;

Pretty clear.

Oh, and:

Note to §301-10.108: Carrier preference is not a valid reason for using a non-contract fare.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 17, 2012 at 1:22 pm Reason: merge
Old May 17, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by copperred

Unless it is one of the exempt agencies, such as one funded by NAF, an independent commission/board, a GSE, many of the financial regulatory agencies (the people who whine if they have to sit in Y for more than 6 hours) or the legislative branch and the OEP, you're begging for an IG investigation. Or the front page of the Washington Post.
Each department and agency can set it's own rules as to which fare type (gov or lowest available) is purchased.
Old May 25, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG plat ambassador
Originally Posted by halls120
I disagree. Our agency has been following the rules regard obtaining authorization prior to purchasing tickets, and our personnel have had no problem then securing nonrefundable tickets.

What some federal agencies want to do is continue wasting the taxpayers dollar by waiting until the last minute to purchase refundable YCA fares, when by a little prior planning, saving a little money. Unfortunately, far too many federal employees think their agency travel funds are "free money," and show little regard for the people paying taxes to support their mostly useless boondoggles to Las Vegas.....

Your agency is wasting taxpayer money. There is no GSA requirement to purchase fully refundable fares.
And Y is not the default fare bucket on govt fares. It is only the last seat. Those who say they are required to travel on a Y fare are incorrect. All govt fare buckets are fully refundable.

I hardly ever travel on a govt Y/B because I plan my travel and am usually in a Q or H. But I do know folks who will wait to the last minute to book in order to get a Y fare. Am really surprised they are upgrading on these fares because pre-merger, UA did not.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dodger 1k
I hardly ever travel on a govt Y/B because I plan my travel and am usually in a Q or H. But I do know folks who will wait to the last minute to book in order to get a Y fare. Am really surprised they are upgrading on these fares because pre-merger, UA did not.
All I can say is that on IAD to TPA, you'll see at least 12 or 16 government employees in first. The only chance a 1k has is on the 757, which is only occasionally. How do I know? First you can usually tell the "government type" (perhaps I'm sterotyping, but the crew cut and clothing kind of gives it away) and that that route used to be TED (all coach) because there was so few paid business class flyers.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:48 am

What can I do with this YCA fare?

Hi,

I am a Premier Silver with an upcoming YCA govt fare (MUC<->IAD). I have some questions:

1) Based on reading these forums and elsewhere it seems to me this ticket should be eligible for instant upgrade. Is that correct? It is a Y class and I am traveling alone. How do I take advantage of the instant upgrade? I don't see any links with that nomenclature in my reservation

2) Not really knowing about the instant upgrade possibility, I have already chosen to use miles to upgrade one leg of the trip and am on the waiting list. How long before the flight should I expect that to clear if it does at all? Any way to find out where I am on the waiting list?

Does #2 conflict with #1?

thanks,
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
1) No. You don't, not applicable.

2) Varies. No.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There's no "instant upgrade" on intl. No freebies. Nothing to do with your Y fare.

On a domestic flight, as a Silver, a YCA ticket would be eligible for instant UG at booking if available, or ahead of all CPU (except GS) at or before departure.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:06 am

Thanks for the replies. I don't doubt it at all, but where does it say instant upgrades are domestic only? I sure missed that one staring at all the web pages for hours! ugh. Another question:

3) If I purchase economy plus seats for a leg (to get a good seat), and then my miles upgrade to business clears......do I get the E+ refunded?

thanks again
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by clobber88
Thanks for the replies. I don't doubt it at all, but where does it say instant upgrades are domestic only? I sure missed that one staring at all the web pages for hours! ugh. Another question:

3) If I purchase economy plus seats for a leg (to get a good seat), and then my miles upgrade to business clears......do I get the E+ refunded?

thanks again
How about the part right on the web page where it lists the regions where Instant UG's are available and doesn't list Europe-USA?

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../upgrades.aspx

As to E+, your question is also answered right on the UA website:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/prod...onomyPlus.aspx
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by clobber88

thanks again
For the purposes of eligibility Y/B/M instant upgrades (of which YCA is part of) are considered complimentary so as posted by Often1 the complimentary upgrade rules and restrictions govern things
Old Sep 7, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
YCA instant upgrade

The upgrade is not automatic for domestic travel. If there are FC seats available, you can do it on UA web. UA web sometimes gives you a headache or two, then you will have to call UA as soon as your tickets are issued by your travel office.
For international travel, you do not have to pay "co-pay" using miles for upgrade.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kmxu
For international travel, you do not have to pay "co-pay" using miles for upgrade.
You do (or may) if it's not the YCA fare (i.e., the capacity controlled ones)
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:46 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
I've had the chance to fly business a few times when doing work for the government. It wasn't a YCA fare but it was in compliance with the "14-Hour Rule pasted below...

"§301-10.125 When may I use the 14-hour rule to travel other than coach-class (see §301-10.123(b)(6))?

(a) You may use the 14-hour rule to travel via other than coach-class when:
(1) The origin and/or destination are OCONUS; and
(2) The scheduled flight time, including non-overnight stopovers and change of planes, is in excess of 14 hours; and
(3) You are required to report to duty the following day or sooner.
(b) Scheduled flight time is the flight time between the originating departure point and the ultimate arrival point including scheduled non-overnight time spent at airports during plane changes. Scheduled non-overnight time does not include time spent at the originating or ultimate arrival airports.
(c) If other than coach-class accommodation is authorized based on the 14-hour rule then you will not be eligible for a rest stop en route or a rest period upon arrival at your duty site, in accordance with internal agency procedures pursuant to §301-70.102(j)."

There is another section in the federal travel regs that gives a host of other reasons that you can sit in the front. At the bottom, it also mentions the rules under which you can sit in 'Economy Plus'. Basically, you are allowed to sit up there but you have to pay for it yourself. They are pasted here...

§301-10.122 What class of airline accommodations must I use?

For official business travel, both domestic and international, you must use coach-class accommodations, except as provided under §§301-10.123 and 301-10.124.
§301-10.123 When may I use other than coach-class airline accommodations?

Government travelers are required to exercise the same care in incurring expenses that a prudent person would exercise if traveling on personal business when making official travel arrangements, and therefore, should consider the least expensive class of travel that meets their needs. You may use the lowest other than coach-class airline accommodations only when your agency specifically authorizes/approves such use as specified in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section.
(a) Your agency may authorize/approve first class accommodations if any of the following apply:
(1) No coach-class accommodations are reasonably available. “Reasonably available” means available on an airline that is scheduled to leave within 24 hours of your proposed departure time, or scheduled to arrive within 24 hours of your proposed arrival time;
(2) When use of other than coach-class is necessary to accommodate a medical disability or other special need.
(i) A disability must be certified annually in a written statement by a competent medical authority. However, if the disability is a lifelong condition, then a one-time certification statement is required. Certification statements must include at a minimum:
(A) A written statement by a competent medical authority stating that special accommodation is necessary;
(B) An approximate duration of the special accommodation; and
(C) A recommendation as to the suitable class of transportation accommodations based on the disability.
(ii) A special need must be certified annually in writing according to your agency’s procedures. However, if the special need is a lifelong condition, then a one-time certification statement is required;
(iii) If you are authorized under §301-13.3(a) of this Subchapter to have an attendant accompany you, your agency may also authorize the attendant to use other than coach-class accommodations if you require the attendant’s services en route;
(3) When exceptional security circumstances require other than coach-class airline accommodations. Exceptional security circumstances are determined by your agency and should only be authorized up to the minimum other than coach-class accommodation necessary. These circumstances include, but are not limited to:
(i) Use of coach-class accommodations would endanger your life or Government property;
(ii) You are an agent on protective detail and you are accompanying an individual authorized to use other than coach- class accommodations; or
(iii) You are a courier or control officer accompanying controlled pouches or packages;
(4) When required because of agency mission, consistent with your agency’s internal procedures pursuant to §301-70.102(i).
(b) Your agency may authorize/approve business-class accommodations if any of the following apply:
(1) When use of other than coach-class is necessary to accommodate a medical disability or other special need.
(i) A disability must be certified annually in a written statement by a competent medical authority. However, if the disability is a lifelong condition, then a one-time certification statement is required. Certification statements must include at a minimum:
(A) A written statement by a competent medical authority stating that special accommodation is necessary;
(B) An approximate duration of the special accommodation; and
(C) A recommendation as to the suitable class of transportation accommodations based on the disability.
(ii) A special need must be certified annually in writing according to your agency’s procedures. However, if the special need is a lifelong condition, then a one-time certification statement is required;
(iii) If you are authorized under §301-13.3(a) of this Subchapter to have an attendant accompany you, your agency may also authorize the attendant to use other than coach-class accommodations if you require the attendant’s services en route;
(2) When exceptional security circumstances require other than coach-class airline accommodations. Exceptional security circumstances are determined by your agency and should only be authorized to the minimum other than coach-class accommodation necessary to meet the agency’s mission. These circumstances include, but are not limited to:
(i) Use of coach-class accommodations would endanger your life or Government property;
(ii) You are an agent on protective detail and you are accompanying an individual authorized to use other than coach-class accommodations; or
(iii) You are a courier or control officer accompanying controlled pouches or packages;
(3) Coach-class accommodations on an authorized/approved foreign air carrier do not provide adequate sanitation or health standards;
(4) Regularly scheduled flights between origin/destination points (including connecting points) provide only other than coach-class accommodations and you certify such on your voucher;
(5) Your transportation costs are paid in full through agency acceptance of payment from a non-Federal source in accordance with Chapter 304 of this Title;
(6) Where the origin and/or destination are OCONUS, and the scheduled flight time, including stopovers and change of planes, is in excess of 14 hours, in accordance with §301-10.125;
(7) The use results in an overall cost savings to the Government by avoiding additional subsistence costs, overtime, or lost productive time while awaiting coach-class accommodations;
(8) No space is available in coach-class accommodations in time to accomplish the mission, which is urgent and cannot be postponed; or
(9) When required because of agency mission, consistent with your agency’s internal procedures pursuant to §301-70.102(i).

Note 1 to §301-10.123: You may upgrade to other than coach-class accommodations at your personal expense, including through redemption of frequent flyer benefits.
Note 2 to §301-10.123: Blanket authorization of other than coach-class transportation accommodations is prohibited and shall be authorized on an individual trip-by-trip basis, unless the traveler has an up-to-date documented disability or special need.
§301-10.124 What are coach-class Seating Upgrade Programs?

Sometimes these programs are called “Coach Elite,” “Coach Plus,” “Preferred Coach” or some other identifier. Under these airline programs, a passenger may obtain for a fee a more desirable seat choice within the coach-class cabin. These airline upgrade or preferred seat choices are generally available for an annual fee, at an airport kiosk or gate or as a frequent flier perk. These coach upgrade options are not considered a new or higher class of accommodation since the seating is still in the coach cabin. However, the use of these upgraded/preferred coach seating options is generally a traveler’s personal choice and therefore is at the traveler’s personal expense. An agency travel authorization approving official or his/her designee (e.g., supervisor of the traveler) may authorize and reimburse the additional seat choice fee according to internal agency policy (see 301-70.102(k)).

All of this is posted at http://www.gsa.gov/portal/ext/public...ategory/21868/
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by IAD22066
I've had the chance to fly business a few times when doing work for the government. It wasn't a YCA fare but it was in compliance with the "14-Hour Rule pasted below...

Just to clarify the above, from another gov't traveler:

Those rules govern when the government *may* pay for business class travel. Each agency has its own policy that may further limit business class travel, which may also vary depending on rank. For example, the State Department I understand almost always allows business class travel; others generally limit it to top-rank officials.

None of that has anything to do with upgrades. If the government traveler wishes to spend his/her own money or miles (or RPU/GPU) on an upgrade, that is entirely permissible. Likewise, if the fare rules for an airline provide a "free" upgrade, the government traveler may avail him/herself of the upgrade.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
Just to clarify the above, from another gov't traveler:

Those rules govern when the government *may* pay for business class travel. Each agency has its own policy that may further limit business class travel, which may also vary depending on rank. For example, the State Department I understand almost always allows business class travel; others generally limit it to top-rank officials.

None of that has anything to do with upgrades. If the government traveler wishes to spend his/her own money or miles (or RPU/GPU) on an upgrade, that is entirely permissible. Likewise, if the fare rules for an airline provide a "free" upgrade, the government traveler may avail him/herself of the upgrade.
In general (at least in my experience), to invoke any of the rules like this "14-hour" rule, you need signed approval from your supervisor, your supervisor's supervisor, the travel department, and the agency who's footing the bill. Generally, it's heavily scrutinized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.