Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denied Boarding on SQ Flight (UA Award Ticket) to Dubai due to Lack of Transit Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Boarding on SQ Flight (UA Award Ticket) to Dubai due to Lack of Transit Visa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Currently on an United award travel with itinerary that included Tokyo destination and a stopover in Dubai before returning home in US. However, Singapore Airlines denied me a boarding pass for the Dubai flight and United cancelled my Dubai stopover forcing me to make alternative vacation 'go home' arrangements at 3:30am.

It seems Singapore Airlines doesn't permit passengers to Dubai without a visa even though visa isn't necessary for <96hr stopover in transit. They said their rules say "not applicable" for SQ flights. Fine, their rules. But United blissfully unaware of their partner rules issued me the ticket months ago setting me up to be stranded in Singapore in difficult conditions: trying to get issue resolved in early hours of Singapore without phone/sim card; abrupt and immediate alternate plans on other side of world; cancelling/rearrange lodging; cancel visit plans with friends. Furthermore, cancel penalty fee for guaranteed hotel reservations and miss out a stay at brand new JW Marriott Marquis and reservation for Burg Khalifa. Months ago planned where to stay, eat and to-do agenda using points I banked for first epic trip that contrasts to 3am improvised planning of my finger on google maps on dying battery trying to salvage vacation. London was the only open route home.

- what is best course of action against United?
-warning for all travelling on United award travel - your itinerary may vary!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 27, 2012 at 2:53 pm Reason: vague thread title
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by flighteye
Currently on an United award travel with itinerary that included Tokyo destination and a stopover in Dubai before returning home in US. However, Singapore Airlines denied me a boarding pass for the Dubai flight and United cancelled my Dubai stopover forcing me to make alternative vacation 'go home' arrangements at 3:30am.

It seems Singapore Airlines doesn't permit passengers to Dubai without a visa even though visa isn't necessary for <96hr stopover in transit. They said their rules say "not applicable" for SQ flights. Fine, their rules. But United blissfully unaware of their partner rules issued me the ticket months ago setting me up to be stranded in Singapore in difficult conditions: trying to get issue resolved in early hours of Singapore without phone/sim card; abrupt and immediate alternate plans on other side of world; cancelling/rearrange lodging; cancel visit plans with friends. Furthermore, cancel penalty fee for guaranteed hotel reservations and miss out a stay at brand new JW Marriott Marquis and reservation for Burg Khalifa. Months ago planned where to stay, eat and to-do agenda using points I banked for first epic trip that contrasts to 3am improvised planning of my finger on google maps on dying battery trying to salvage vacation. London was the only open route home.

- what is best course of action against United?
-warning for all travelling on United award travel - your itinerary may vary!
It's not UA's job to know visa requirements, it's yours. UA owes you nothing.

Just curious, do you have elite status with UA?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I see no basis for UA compensation, based on a 10-second google search.

http://www.uae-embassy.org/visas-pas...on-us-citizens

3- Transit Visa ( 96 hours )

The Embassy does not issue Transit Visa, You should contact the airline company that will fly you to the UAE and enquire from them about the possibility of traveling to the UAE without prior visa.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The duty to assure that travel docs. are in order is 100% on the pax. Even if this were a UA-issued ticket on a UA-operated flight, it would still be OP's duty to present himself at check-in with the docs. required for the particular destination.

Given that the specific advice on UAE's website is to ask the carrier (Singapore) if it will arrange a 96-hour transit visa and OP clearly could not have done that, he's cooked.

Better advice to any prospective intl. traveler is to do the homework in advance. Carriers are sticklers about the rules because they are liable to fines and the duty to return you to your departure point if you are not properly documented and then not admitted.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
You made a very costly mistake. It is 100% your responsibility to make sure your travel documents are in order. There are websites to assist with this. Sadly, you are out of luck, UA will not compensate you for this, nor should they.

Sorry, it has to be a horrible situation.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I'll simplify further:
-researched months ago that I don't need visa if in transit and stay less than 96 hrs. (The actual visa is applied in person on arrival and same for Shanghai or Beijing).
-i'm aware visa is my responsibility. However, is it my responsibility to research all the legs of my ticket will be fine with respect to each partner airline rules or United who issues the ticket?
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
...However, is it my responsibility to research all the legs of my ticket will be fine with respect to each partner airline rules or United who issues the ticket?
In a word, yours. Sorry you don't seem to like the answers in the previous posts, but they are indeed the reality with international travel.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
From united.com
International travel document requirements

Each customer traveling across any international boundary is solely responsible for obtaining all necessary travel documents, including any required visas, and for complying with the laws of each country flown from (the departure country), through (any transit country) and into (the destination country) as stated in Rule 19 of the Contract of Carriage. ....
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:12 pm
Suspended

-i'm aware visa is my responsibility. However, is it my responsibility to research all the legs of my ticket will be fine with respect to each partner airline rules or United who issues the ticket?
YES it is and thats what everyone has so far told you.Its up to the Passenger to make sure they comply with all the Visa rules thats both of the Carrier being flown and the Country you want to enter

Seems someone above posted where its mentioned on the Countrys website to check with the Carrier being flown that you can fly them w/o having gotten a Visa into your PP. Seems SQ wants everyone staying in DUB to have the Visa already issued and in their PP, you didnt meet this Obligation of SQs and therefore werent allowed to fly, it doesnt make any difference that a Visa can be obtained upon arrival, SQ wants no part of that why I dont know but its their T&Cs and you didnt meet them and thusly not allowed to fly.

UA doesnt have to do anything! Its 100% upon the passenger to make sure they crossed all the Ts and dotted all the Is, Im sorry to tell you Compensation forth coming from SQ or UA should be ZIPPO
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
-researched months ago that I don't need visa if in transit and stay less than 96 hrs. (The actual visa is applied in person on arrival and same for Shanghai or Beijing).
You did not do the correct research. The embassy's website is quite clear that you need to contact Singapore to determine whether it will transport you without the transit visa. Had you called Singapore, the carrier would presumably have told you that it would not and you would have made the proper arrangements well in advance.

Seems tedious but many countries are bureaucratic. Yes, you can obtain the visa on arrival but that doesn't mean that the carrier will transport you without it.

3- Transit Visa ( 96 hours )

The Embassy does not issue Transit Visa, You should contact the airline company that will fly you to the UAE and enquire from them about the possibility of traveling to the UAE without prior visa.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Folks -- you are quoting the Non-US citizen guidelines -- OP has not stated citizenship. If US citizen, then UAE has no pre-travel visa requirement (but SQ still appears to require passengers to have a pre-travel visa for a stay).

Regardless it is a personal responsibility given the complexity no airline could advise all passengers on the requirements -- that's what a travel agent is for.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Without the "Airlines sponsored" requirement?

Isn't it true that regardless of nationality, the 96-hour transit visa OP mentioned can only be obtained thru airlines sponsorship?

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Folks -- you are quoting the Non-US citizen guidelines -- OP has not stated citizenship. If US citizen, then UAE has no pre-travel visa requirement (but SQ still appears to require passengers to have a pre-travel visa for a stay).

Regardless it is a personal responsibility given the complexity no airline could advise all passengers on the requirements -- that's what a travel agent is for.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 27, 2012 at 8:11 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
SQ wants no part of that why I dont know but its their T&Cs and you didnt meet them and thusly not allowed to fly

As if it is denied then blame, fines etc lie with SQ. They are protecting themselves.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
But United blissfully unaware of their partner rules issued me the ticket months ago setting me up to be stranded in Singapore in difficult conditions: trying to get issue resolved in early hours of Singapore without phone/sim card; abrupt and immediate alternate plans on other side of world; cancelling/rearrange lodging; cancel visit plans with friends.
Of all places, you are lucky that you are stranded in SIN. Get a SIM card from any of the major telcos, and you are good to go.

You can call the local UA office at 6873 3533. Perhaps they can help you.

And if you are stuck in SIN for tonite, u can get a room at Conrad SIN for $162++.

Chalk this up as a lesson, and contact all carriers in future regarding visas.

Good luck!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I recently flew NRT-DOH on QT (award ticket from UA purchased before they sunset that opportunity), with a ~14 hour layover, then QT to DOH-DXB.

I called QT about a visa in DOH; if it had been a revenue ticket, they would have given me a free visa. As it was an award ticket, I had to purchase the visa when I got to DOH (they gladly accepted my CC). I had a lovely day in DOH.

When I got to DXB, I just gave them my (US) passport and got a free 30-day tourist visa.

But it took a few phone calls on my part before I left, and I'm glad I made them. Wouldn't want to have been stuck. Had a nice time in DXB, and then left in global first to IAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.