FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Denied Boarding on SQ Flight (UA Award Ticket) to Dubai due to Lack of Transit Visa
Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:19 pm
njcommodore

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by flighteye
Currently on an United award travel with itinerary that included Tokyo destination and a stopover in Dubai before returning home in US. However, Singapore Airlines denied me a boarding pass for the Dubai flight and United cancelled my Dubai stopover forcing me to make alternative vacation 'go home' arrangements at 3:30am.

It seems Singapore Airlines doesn't permit passengers to Dubai without a visa even though visa isn't necessary for <96hr stopover in transit. They said their rules say "not applicable" for SQ flights. Fine, their rules. But United blissfully unaware of their partner rules issued me the ticket months ago setting me up to be stranded in Singapore in difficult conditions: trying to get issue resolved in early hours of Singapore without phone/sim card; abrupt and immediate alternate plans on other side of world; cancelling/rearrange lodging; cancel visit plans with friends. Furthermore, cancel penalty fee for guaranteed hotel reservations and miss out a stay at brand new JW Marriott Marquis and reservation for Burg Khalifa. Months ago planned where to stay, eat and to-do agenda using points I banked for first epic trip that contrasts to 3am improvised planning of my finger on google maps on dying battery trying to salvage vacation. London was the only open route home.

- what is best course of action against United?
-warning for all travelling on United award travel - your itinerary may vary!
It's not UA's job to know visa requirements, it's yours. UA owes you nothing.

Just curious, do you have elite status with UA?