Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Denied Boarding on SQ Flight (UA Award Ticket) to Dubai due to Lack of Transit Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Boarding on SQ Flight (UA Award Ticket) to Dubai due to Lack of Transit Visa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 2:38 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exwannabe
The OP clearly called US "home" and likely is a US citizen, but not certain as he was driven off by the barage of absurd posts claiming he was at fault for not reading SQ rules on this.
People can live and work in the US but have a green card (or another immigration status) without being a US national.

I have to say that I am very surprised to find that the UAE transit visa is airline or hotel specific. In most cases (I believe) a country has policies and the airlines follow them, but there is no variation between carriers-- the rules are the rules.

I can't place major fault on the OP-- this is an unusual rule, and the OP just misunderstood the obscure nature of the UAE transit visa, even though the website said to check with your carrier. I also can't blame SQ-- they can't deliver a passenger they know doesn't have the proper credentials to enter a country. It is just an unfortunate situation, but there is no compensation to be had as the ultimate responsibility for travel documents lies with the traveler in virtually all cases.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It appears to me that OP is not a US citizen or from any of the counties with free visa on arrival in UAE.

The 96 transit visa referred by OP is:

96 hours Visa for Transit Passengers

Transit passengers stopping at Dubai International Airport for a minimum of 8 hours and meeting the certain conditions mentioned below are eligible for obtaining a 96-hour transit visa. These conditions are as follow:

Airlines sponsored only (prior arrangements maybe required)
Applications should have confirmed onward booking to the 3rd destination
For transit passengers or those holding special permits, or for visit or mission, the passport or the document must be valid for at least three months
Citizens of the following countries are not eligible for the 96 hours visa on arrival:
Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Niger, and Yemen.
http://www.emirates.org/visa.html

I don't think OP has a case against anyone.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I would be skeptical that the OP is traveling on a passport from Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Niger, or Yemen, but who knows.

Originally Posted by AntonS
OP - it's your responsibility to check Visa requirements for all visiting countries. I purchase most of my tickets online and I do not remember then I was provided any entry/visa requirements by the airline. I am lucky to have two passports from two different countries that allow me to go visa-hassle-free to all countries in the world except only two or three countries and I still check the latest requirements every time I go.

OP is clearly not a US citizen, because US citizens can visit UAE visa free, but he/she could be a US permanent resident if he calls US home. Some nationalities can obtain 96hour transit visa on arrival to Dubai with the help of either your hotel in Dubai or airlines: Emirates and Air Arabia. I do not think SQ is participatipating in this special visa program.
Passengers flying into DXB on SQ can also get 96-hour transit visas on arrival at DXB. DXB airport-located Marhaba Services -- owned by dnata which is itself controlled by the Emirates group -- does these transit visas for non-UAE airlines' passengers, including SQ passengers with Indian passports who routinely get 96-hour transit visas for visiting DXB. The main operating carriers in the world with service to DXB can all do it. Even some LCC Asian upstart airlines do it. Can ticketing airlines do it even when not the flight operator for the passenger's flight to DXB? Don't see why not, especially when the ticketing carrier also has flights to DXB.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 29, 2012 at 3:58 am
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cordelli
To me the issue is the OP seems upset at United for selling them a ticket and not telling them that SQ was going to require a visa.

There is no indication that the OP every checked with SQ to verify what their requirements were (or checked with any other airline). It really doesn't matter what the UAE requires, as it is an SQ employee who is the one who lets you on the plane or not.

I would find it hard for an airline to have stricter rules than the country they are landing in, that would be very confusing to the passengers, but I can see it being possible.
It doesn't matter what the UAE requires????

Why would checking with SQ matter? If I'm going to a country I check that countries immigration page and see if I need a visa. Calling the airline isn't a great source as they aren't immigration, check with the countries you are going to. As a US citizen I would never have checked with SQ about "their" requirements transiting DXB. It isn't needed and if SQ is requiring it I would like an explanation as to why.

If the OP is a US citizen we have a bunch of people spouting off on how wrong they are, when in fact they shouldn't have had a problem and I see it as SQ's issue.

I have been to many countries as most of us here have and I don't call the airline to find out when they need, I check the immigration page of the country I'm going to in order to find out. I have then used 3rd party companies to arrange for visas when needed.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schley
...If the OP is a US citizen we have a bunch of people spouting off on how wrong they are, when in fact they shouldn't have had a problem and I see it as SQ's issue.

I have been to many countries as most of us here have and I don't call the airline to find out when they need, I check the immigration page of the country I'm going to in order to find out. I have then used 3rd party companies to arrange for visas when needed.
I fully agree if OP is a US citizen. If OP is not from one of the 30 or so countries with free UAE visa on arrival, then OP needs a sponsor for 96 hour transit visa. It would make sense to call your sponsor, SQ in this case, to see what the requirement is.@:-)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TerryK
I fully agree if OP is a US citizen. If OP is not from one of the 30 or so countries with free UAE visa on arrival, then OP needs a sponsor for 96 hour transit visa. It would make sense to call your sponsor, SQ in this case, to see what the requirement is.@:-)
Why couldn't the sponsor be UA in this case too?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by aacharya
Are you really basing citizenship on where someone calls home?

Now, that's an absurd post, rather than the "barage" (sic) ones you pointed out.
I said "likely", which I will means substantially over 50%. And I will stick with that.

If I cross paths with somebody in that neck of the woods who calls the US home, the odds are very good they are a US citizen. Of the dozen or so cases that I have solid facts on, all would be US.

Those who claim he can not be a US citizen because SQ denied him are clearly wrong. There are numerous cases of airlines miss-aplying visa rules.

One can not know with certainty who was wrong, but to dismiss the possibility of an SQ screwup just because one assumes SQ can not screw-up is kind of weak.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by exwannabe
If I cross paths with somebody in that neck of the woods who calls the US home, the odds are very good they are a US citizen. Of the dozen or so cases that I have solid facts on, all would be US.
Guess you don't know how many permanent residents live in the US.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:42 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by vnatraj
13.1 million documented legal ones in the beginning of 2011.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by flighteye
..It seems Singapore Airlines doesn't permit passengers to Dubai without a visa even though visa isn't necessary for <96hr stopover in transit. They said their rules say "not applicable" for SQ flights...
Welcome to SIN's Changi and its service culture! My best guess is that you became a victim of an oversell and this how VDBs and IDBs are 'avoided' in SIN.

With some luck your best course of action is to get on the next available flight when the rulesl/laws/constitutions/employee-moods have 'changed'.
Originally Posted by flighteye
..However, is it my responsibility to research all the legs of my ticket will be fine with respect to each partner airline rules or United who issues the ticket?
You already heard the view of the apologists. I bet my largest muscle that you will not be able to find this rule in written anywhere in the system and you will not get any sensible response from any SQ agent in case you should call and inquire.
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
SQ has no such requirement as far as I know. I've flown SQ into DXB at least a few times a year for over a decade and they never once asked to see any kind of visa..
Same for my working colleagues here. Admittedly only very few are American but none of them ever needed such a visa.
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Something tells me that the SQ agents in SIN are well aware of who needs and who doesn't need a visa. I doubt OP was flatly denied boarding until they had spent some time researching the matter. With daily (more than daily?) flights to DXB, I'm sure similar happenstance occurs quite often.
My view too, hence my best guess that the real reason is more nefarious.
Originally Posted by Often1
..Seems tedious but many countries are bureaucratic..
How is the country to be blamed here in any way??? Especially as it specifically does not require the visa. What a nonsensical uncalled for remark.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vnatraj
Actually the probability of a person calling the US home and being a US citizen is very high and far greater than 50% given the ratio of measured non-citizen residents to US passport holders. That said, there is a substantial chance that a person calling the US home is not a US citizen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.