Wiki Posts
Search

ExpressJet and wheeled carryons

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
ExpressJet and wheeled carryons

I took an ExpressJet (United Express) hopper from DCA to EWR on Friday and they wouldn't let my wheeled backpack on. They said it was a new rule: nothing with wheels. I don't know how well it's being enforced, but FYI. I'll find out when I go down again this week. Also, on the plane, they served no beverages (new) and stood by one person until he actually turned his phone off instead of just putting it in airplane mode.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ncc1701v
I took an ExpressJet (United Express) hopper from DCA to EWR on Friday and they wouldn't let my wheeled backpack on. They said it was a new rule: nothing with wheels. I don't know how well it's being enforced, but FYI. I'll find out when I go down again this week. Also, on the plane, they served no beverages (new) and stood by one person until he actually turned his phone off instead of just putting it in airplane mode.
They been indicating phones off instead of airplane mode for months. The person probably pushed it too far, hence the 'standing over' aspect.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Always amazed me that people who can afford an air ticket can't operate an on/off switch. "Off" means "off." Airplane mode isn't "off."
Old Apr 30, 2012, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Always amazed me that people who can afford an air ticket can't operate an on/off switch. "Off" means "off." Airplane mode isn't "off."
I've long since accepted the fact that people who claim to not know how to turn their phones off actually know all too well, and are trying to get away with it.

As far as carry-on policy, it has been updated recently but it's not a "no-wheels" rule. Bags larger than a small backpack/purse/laptop bag/briefcase cannot be brought onboard due to weight issues. Yes, I know we've operated flights for years without issue but they done new calculations and decided that our cabins are overweight and anything that would be considered a "gate check" must be gate checked. It's not about whether or not the bag fits, it still has to be checked.

OP: Many roller backpacks don't fit in our overheads. Have you taken it on the plane before? I find myself having to gate check those types of luggage often as people never want to stow them under their seat, and the unflexible width of the base exceeds the limits for closing a bin.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:09 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
My iPhone's power button was literally broken for 15 months. I could not shut off the phone. Had a flight attendant get mad when she saw me switch to airplane mode and nothing else. I explained the situation and she threatened to have me removed from the aircraft unless I could shut it off. Told her I couldn't and she'd have a heck of a time explaining why I wasn't in class for training. She let it go.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ncc1701v
and stood by one person until he actually turned his phone off instead of just putting it in airplane mode.
I don't understand this. The instruction has always been to turn it off. And I always do. However, I see more and more people with smartphones just putting them in airplane mode, so they can just start using them again right away at 10 kft. But if you're gonna do that, don't get caught. And if you get caught, turn the bloody thing off and don't pretend it's allowed to be in airplane mode for takeoffs and landing.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Marriot Plat Prmr (Plat Life), Hilton Dia, Hertz Prez Circle
I always turn mine to airplane mode and then turn it off. That way if I power back up again mid-flight it will still be in airplane mode, not live and searching for signal (even if momentarily).

I once had an FA completely not get that and harrass me (while standing over me) while I went through the above shut down procedure. She thought she scored some kind of victory when I completed step two and turned it off.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by OnePass Since 87
I always turn mine to airplane mode and then turn it off. That way if I power back up again mid-flight it will still be in airplane mode, not live and searching for signal (even if momentarily).

I once had an FA completely not get that and harrass me (while standing over me) while I went through the above shut down procedure. She thought she scored some kind of victory when I completed step two and turned it off.
We all know, I assume, that the whole 'devices off' thing is stupid.
Old May 1, 2012, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by Hachiko
As far as carry-on policy, it has been updated recently but it's not a "no-wheels" rule. Bags larger than a small backpack/purse/laptop bag/briefcase cannot be brought onboard due to weight issues. Yes, I know we've operated flights for years without issue but they done new calculations and decided that our cabins are overweight and anything that would be considered a "gate check" must be gate checked. It's not about whether or not the bag fits, it still has to be checked.
Thanks, that makes plenty of sense (since I agree).

Originally Posted by Hachiko
OP: Many roller backpacks don't fit in our overheads. Have you taken it on the plane before? I find myself having to gate check those types of luggage often as people never want to stow them under their seat, and the unflexible width of the base exceeds the limits for closing a bin.
Yes, it slips into the overheads on every commuter plane I've been on. It's 19" tall, which is probably what triggered the FA to not let me wheel it on, but slim. It sticks out a little from under the seats. No one has ever expressed concern. My solution is to put it on my back when boarding.

Thanks again for the information.
Old May 1, 2012, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boghopper
We all know, I assume, that the whole 'devices off' thing is stupid.
Last year, I realized during the "turn off all cell phones" announcement that I had packed my cell phone - still on - in a checked bag. I (very) briefly considered informing the FA that there was a powered-on cell phone in the hold, but decided that nothing good would result from such a revelation.

We didn't crash. Or land at the wrong airport.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
I never turn any of my things off or airplane mode, I just put them away. Phone, iPad, laptop. Nearly 1MM miles in the last 4 yrs and we haven't crashed yet.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:00 am

I think the rule for electronic devices is quite clear as the announcement is made every time - all electronic devices with an on/off switch must be switched off during take off and landing, personal electronic devices and the devices that in on airplane mode that do not emit wireless signal can be turned on again after the seat belt sign is off.

Originally Posted by kenn0223
I never turn any of my things off or airplane mode, I just put them away. Phone, iPad, laptop. Nearly 1MM miles in the last 4 yrs and we haven't crashed yet.
Violating FAA Rules is violating rules. Haven't crash is not an excuse for violating rules. Stealing money and didn't get caught does not mean its okay to steal money.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 1, 2012 at 11:11 am Reason: merge
Old May 1, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ben237829624
I think the rule for electronic devices is quite clear as the announcement is made every time - all electronic devices with an on/off switch must be switched off during take off and landing, personal electronic devices and the devices that in on airplane mode that do not emit wireless signal can be turned on again after the seat belt sign is off.

Violating FAA Rules is violating rules. Haven't crash is not an excuse for violating rules. Stealing money and didn't get caught does not mean its okay to steal money.
I'm with Kenn - I never turn them off either. Violating a stupid rule just means it's a stupid rule. I also admit that I sometimes speed on the highway - but I don't lose sleep over it.

Back OT - although I can see the logic in forcing people to gate check bags that can't possibly fit, a wheeled backpack can't possibly be any larger than the CREW bags I constantly see stuffed in the RJ bins.

And how exactly can a 'cabin' be overweight when the airplane itself is not? Does not compute.
Old May 1, 2012, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by mrswirl
I'm with Kenn - I never turn them off either. Violating a stupid rule just means it's a stupid rule. I also admit that I sometimes speed on the highway - but I don't lose sleep over it.

Back OT - although I can see the logic in forcing people to gate check bags that can't possibly fit, a wheeled backpack can't possibly be any larger than the CREW bags I constantly see stuffed in the RJ bins.

And how exactly can a 'cabin' be overweight when the airplane itself is not? Does not compute.

ERJs are front-heavy aircraft, which is why on less than full flights you'll often see us having to reseat people towards the back of the aircraft. We always need weight in the back. Every part of the aircraft has a weight limit -- catering was recently reduced after it was discovered that our galleys were overweight and the FAA threatened fines. Overhead bins have a weight limit as well.

Gate checks, carry-on bags, crew bags, passengers.. Everything has a standard weight. The items that weigh more are generally cancelled out by the items that weigh less. Same story with passengers.

Aircraft weight and balance is calculated using the pre-determined weight for everything. So although, for example, a 19" rollerbag will fit under the seat and is empty, it is still calculated as a gate-check bag at a weight of 20 lbs. Because of this, it must go in the back with all of the other gate-checks.
Old May 15, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
[QUOTE=Hachiko;18488962]
QUOTE]

I flew UA flight operated by Express Jet this weekend, Embraer 145. The FA stopped the passenger in front of me, who had a small wheeled suitcase which would have fit easily into the overhead bin. Didn't matter ... she would not allow any bag in the overhead bin if it had wheels, even if the bag fit. She said "It is our policy to not allow any roller bag in the overhead." She clarified later, it was an Express Jet policy and had nothing to do with United.

Glad I had carried my small roller down the jet bridge - slipped right into the overhead bin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.