FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ExpressJet and wheeled carryons
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2012, 4:28 pm
dorisrpas

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
[QUOTE=Hachiko;18488962]
As far as carry-on policy, it has been updated recently but it's not a "no-wheels" rule. Bags larger than a small backpack/purse/laptop bag/briefcase cannot be brought onboard due to weight issues. Yes, I know we've operated flights for years without issue but they done new calculations and decided that our cabins are overweight and anything that would be considered a "gate check" must be gate checked. It's not about whether or not the bag fits, it still has to be checked.
QUOTE]

I flew UA flight operated by Express Jet this weekend, Embraer 145. The FA stopped the passenger in front of me, who had a small wheeled suitcase which would have fit easily into the overhead bin. Didn't matter ... she would not allow any bag in the overhead bin if it had wheels, even if the bag fit. She said "It is our policy to not allow any roller bag in the overhead." She clarified later, it was an Express Jet policy and had nothing to do with United.

Glad I had carried my small roller down the jet bridge - slipped right into the overhead bin.