Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App-Questions, Answers, Bugs and etc for NON-iPhone and Android [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: J.Edward
Originally Posted by UA Insider

Hi everyone,

Today we take another step in the overall redesign of our digital channels—the launch of the redesigned United mobile app for Android devices.

In redesigning the Android version of the app, our eCommerce team used data from our current app to understand which features and functions were most important to customers. There’s a lot we’ve packed into this release, including some completely new functionality.

Here’s an overview:

Updated functionality
As with the iOS app released a few months ago, the Android version updates popular tasks like booking and checking in for a flight, monitoring flight status and checking your MileagePlus account summary. Some of the notable updates include:
  • An easier way to see all the boarding passes for reservations with more than one traveler.
  • The option to book award travel with multiple segments.
  • Redesigned seats map graphics that are easier to view.

New functionality
The app also has several new functions that were introduced with the iOS version, such as travel cards and a travel wallet, as well as extras like Sudoku, a checked bag fees calculator, a currency converter and airport maps.

Really new functionality
Unique to this release and (for the moment) the Android app are a few changes designed to improve overall usability:
  • Text navigation along the top screen
  • Ability to scroll both vertically and horizontally
  • The screen will re-orient when rotated so you can use the features in either direction
  • For multiple travelers or viewing multiple flight statuses, the data will now stack to show more information at-a-glance
  • When you are signed in to the app, any active reservations in your account will have travel cards
  • Widget is available on the home screen for quick access into the app

We will introduce many of these elements to the iOS version later this year as we continue to update and improve our app across iOS, Android and Windows devices. And our digital improvements won’t stop there—our new website is in the works. In the next few months, we will begin to launch the new united.com. It will be a phased approach that will span all of 2014, and you can expect that the Preview program will be a key part of each release.

In the meantime, the updated Android app (which is compatible with KitKat and previous operating platforms) is now available from the Google Play store.

-UA Insider
Print Wikipost

United App-Questions, Answers, Bugs and etc for NON-iPhone and Android [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by thedessie
This happens to me every time too. Annoying as heck.
This happened to me last week. I figured it was just my phone, sort of glad to see it is not. I poked around the app to see if I could provide feedback but couldn't find where.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I often find I need to "reissue boarding pass" on my iPhone app to get all the boarding passes on my phone.

I also find I have trouble changing seats with the app when I can change them when I use the full site on my iPad.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I'll have give reissuing boarding passes a try to see if the missing segment shows up on my phone. Changing seats with the app doesn't always work for me either and I often have to resort to using ua.com with my iPad.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Noticed recently that the app no longer keeps the screen on automatically, even though it has been granted permission to do so. That means that the mobile boarding passes continuously time out while waiting in the ridiculously long line for Group 2. Had to download a third party app to keep the screen on for UA.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:21 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Noticed recently that the app no longer keeps the screen on automatically, even though it has been granted permission to do so. That means that the mobile boarding passes continuously time out while waiting in the ridiculously long line for Group 2. Had to download a third party app to keep the screen on for UA.
Once you are in group 1, it works better.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer
Once you are in group 1, it works better.
Well as everyone on the planet seems to be now, that is nothing to brag about any longer !
Old Jun 4, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
Hi All,

I'm having problems with the UA app. When I go to view my reservation using the confirmation number and last name (I don't have a Mileage Plus account), the app crashes. I can view my reservation on the baggage charges section but I can't pull it up and save it to the initial screen at all. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but no joy. Does anyone have any suggestions or do I just have to accept that the app is broken?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:11 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Report United App Bug?

Is there a generic thread on issues with the United App? I didn't turn up anything specific with a few searches. All I found were threads of various other topics which included mentions of the app.

Anyway, I found a bug on the Android version and wanted to report it. Is there anyway to do so?

The bug occurs when you have a continuing (direct) flight where the second segment of the flight departs on the day after the first segment. I ran into this on UA982, IAD-KWI-BAH (Dulles, Kuwait City, Bahrain).

Flight 982 departs IAD at about 10pm (M/W/F/Sa) and arrives KWI the following afternoon. i.e. if you depart on the 1st of the month from IAD you arrive KWI on the afternoon of the 2nd. There's a bit over an hour layover in KWI then the flight continues to BAH.

The problem comes in when you try to check the flight's status from your reservation page in the app. Normally you can tap the flight number in the reservation display and it'll go to the flight status page. In the app, however, flight 982 is shown as a single segment, IAD-BAH, and when you tap the flight number it says that flight 982 doesn't fly IAD-BAH on that date. To get the flight status you have to go back to the main menu and pull up the status by flight number and date.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Is there a generic thread on issues with the United App? I didn't turn up anything specific with a few searches. All I found were threads of various other topics which included mentions of the app.

Anyway, I found a bug on the Android version and wanted to report it. Is there anyway to do so?

The bug occurs when you have a continuing (direct) flight where the second segment of the flight departs on the day after the first segment. I ran into this on UA982, IAD-KWI-BAH (Dulles, Kuwait City, Bahrain).

Flight 982 departs IAD at about 10pm (M/W/F/Sa) and arrives KWI the following afternoon. i.e. if you depart on the 1st of the month from IAD you arrive KWI on the afternoon of the 2nd. There's a bit over an hour layover in KWI then the flight continues to BAH.

The problem comes in when you try to check the flight's status from your reservation page in the app. Normally you can tap the flight number in the reservation display and it'll go to the flight status page. In the app, however, flight 982 is shown as a single segment, IAD-BAH, and when you tap the flight number it says that flight 982 doesn't fly IAD-BAH on that date. To get the flight status you have to go back to the main menu and pull up the status by flight number and date.
Think this has been there for a long time. The app is the old CO app, and I don't think they had many direct flights with a stop. There are also check in and seating issues with these types of direct flights also (but these are not related to the app). In general, there are issues with direct flights with a stop.

Probably a workaround is what I do anyway - which is two days prior to my flights, I'll look up the flight status on the app, then click the yellow button near the top to notify me of flight delays. The app will send a push notification (at least on iPhone - I assume it works similarly for Android) if there are any delays, and will also display on the flight status area on the home screen. I believe for a flight like you are talking about, you'll have to look up the onward segment on the day it goes. i.e. if you're leaving tomorrow, with the KWI-BAH segment the day after, you'd have to look up the IAD-KWI segment for Oct. 31, and then search again to find KWI-BAH segment as Nov. 1.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
These are the most generic app threads but neither should be considered a formal method for reporting bug -- but you may get other members to respond (some android discussion occurs in both)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...est-drive.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...droid-app.html
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I tweeted out a bug report--current Android version crashes back to the home screen if you tap a mobile boarding pass's flight-status link--and got a reply from UA's Twitter account inviting me to send more details in a direct message. The reply to my DM said thanks, they'll let their app team know about it, and they'll be in touch.

(They also wanted my MP number. Upside is they've decided to hand out RDM as a bug-report bounty, downside is I'm now in their files as a troublemaker
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I tweeted out a bug report--current Android version crashes back to the home screen if you tap a mobile boarding pass's flight-status link--and got a reply from UA's Twitter account inviting me to send more details in a direct message. The reply to my DM said thanks, they'll let their app team know about it, and they'll be in touch.

(They also wanted my MP number. Upside is they've decided to hand out RDM as a bug-report bounty, downside is I'm now in their files as a troublemaker
The app won't let me "confirm upgrade". Seems like each new version has new bugs. Regression testing must be a foreign concept to them.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
More>Information>App Feedback
Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:31 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
These are the most generic app threads but neither should be considered a formal method for reporting bug -- but you may get other members to respond (some android discussion occurs in both)
Thanks. I didn't find those in my searching. I guess it was too deep in the results as including "app" in the search produced a lot of results to wade through.

Originally Posted by dsauch
More>Information>App Feedback
Thanks! I had found the More -> Contact Us page but didn't think to look under Information.

Only 300 characters? Oh, well... I was able to squeeze in a description of the issue.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA MP Plat MM, *G;Global Entry; Hertz, Budget; Accor Gold, Marriott Gold
I just made 1k again.
The UA Web shows my upgrades under 'my account' and there are ways
to apply them through that webpage

I see no upgrades shown in my app (it does show my status updated),
and I also see now way to request upgrades (neither for $$$, miles nor
certificates).

I am just not looking in the right place, or is that functionality simply
missing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.