Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auto-check-in for return journey?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by ssh
Suddenly I'm getting emails telling me that I've been checked in with links to my mobile boarding pass. I haven't set anything to do this as far as I know, and in general I prefer to have the BPs in my mobile app. What's going on with this?

Thanks,
ssh

PS I did do a bit of searching and was surprised not to find something on this, so I'm sure I just missed it...
You can still get your BP in the mobile app, even if you're auto-checked in. Just open the mobile app, tap the reservation and choose "reprint boarding pass".
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:46 pm
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
It's actually handy on this new system ... the old .bomb system really got things messed up when you were already checked in and had to make changes. Not so much on the new system.

Normally I'd say that's a good thing ... but when you can't change connection cities without g-d's authorization... that kind of negates the positive :/
Old Apr 27, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Originally Posted by MJ-bos
Normally I'd say that's a good thing ... but when you can't change connection cities without g-d's authorization... that kind of negates the positive :/
I thought Smi/J had to personally approve each and every ticket change???
Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:51 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Why am I told I'm being auto-checked-in when I haven't
signed up for any such thing, not having or wanting to
register an appropriate handheld device?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by violist
Why am I told I'm being auto-checked-in when I haven't
signed up for any such thing, not having or wanting to
register an appropriate handheld device?
you too? You can still "reprint" your bp from your computer or at a kiosk.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1P
It's easy to miss, but when you check in at a kiosk, you are told auto checkin for the return is the default. Nothing to do with whether or not you have a mobile device.

One good point is it gets you on the upgrade lsit as soon as possible.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
I unchecked it the first few flights I saw it, but I was still auto checked in. So I gave up and don't uncheck anymore...
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by wmc_06
It's easy to miss, but when you check in at a kiosk, you are told auto checkin for the return is the default. Nothing to do with whether or not you have a mobile device.

One good point is it gets you on the upgrade lsit as soon as possible.
It is very easy to miss on the kiosk. Interestingly, it seems to remember the upgrade settings. Wife, son and I checked in for the outbound flight and I declined being put on the upgrade list. On the return, it did auto check in and did not put me on the upgrade list.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Premier Executive
Question UA automatic check-in?

I got 3 emails from United on 1:41 PM on Friday for my family's 3 international flights at 1:40 PM on the next day with our boarding passes attached in PDF. The strange thing is that I didn't check us in, nor did anyone else with whom I shared our 3 confirmation numbers. Is there some sort of automatic check-in system that I didn't know I signed up for?

Background: The 3 of us in the family were traveling together from the US to Canada, but since we bought our tickets different ways, we got 3 confirmation numbers. I paid for mine since I will be reimbursed for the conference travel. I bought my son's ticket with my miles, and my fiancé bought hers with her own miles.

For the outbound flight from SFO to YVR, I could check us in online, but couldn't get our boarding passes until a ticket agent confirmed our passports. I expected something similar for the return trip. But instead, I received our boarding passes without any prompting, it seems.

When I signed up for Global Entry way back when, I did add Nexus. I recently requested a Global Entry card so I can add the number from the card onto my future itineraries for the TSA Pre program. Neither my fiancé nor my son are on GE (yet).

I do share our itinerary details over TripIt Pro with trusted family and friends. Then TripIt shares the dates with Dopplr and Facebook.

Thoughts?
Old May 1, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Disabling Auto Check-In Possible?

Two of my three post 3/3 trips have had "auto check-in" run, and am trying to figure out how to disable it. I hate this "feature" (really don't understand the point in most cases) and understand it is set by default, but also have no idea how to turn it off. Can anyone, possibly PMCO'ers explain how to turn off this feature when:

- checking in on iPhone app
- checking in online (United.com)
- checking in at a kiosk

One trip, I used the iPhone app to check in, and the only place I saw this check box was after I hit check in, but before selecting BP delivery method. I thought I unchecked it, but was still checked in anyway for the return.

On my current trip, checked in at a kiosk on the outbound, and never even remember seeing this check box or option anywhere. So was surprised to see BPs emailed to me at T-24. Not only can I not print them anywhere anyway until the airport, my wife and I can't seem to get added to the upgrade standby list for our connection since that was the option we (purposely) selected for the outbound (no chance of upgrade then, pretty much). Now, we'd like that option since not only is this the last segment anyway, we may have a chance of clearing.
Old May 1, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM
OLCI shenanigans

I have been watching my reservation for a flight from LAX which is scheduled for tomorrow. At about 1 pm PDT I was sent an email message that thanked me for using online checkin. It's nice that they sent me that message, but oddl, I didn't do the OLCI. I have used OLCi only once ever and that was years ago. In fact, I hadn't been anywhere near a computer device for the two hours before their email was sent to me.

Is this a new glitch?

I have been watching my reservation because I had my doubts about the CPU for this flight. For most of last week there wasn't even any mention of R or RN inventory. Yesterday, at T-48 there appears R3 RN3 along with F4. I didnt get get cleared for the CPU so I called and the agent gave me a story that they could not mess with the inventory and that the "computer" will clear them in the next cycle. I even called again earlier this morning, when the same inventory numbers showed. Again, I was told by the agent that they could not clear a CPU. I could check my place in line father I checked in.

Now, after receiving this email message that I have checked in online, the inventory is F0 R0 RN0.
I called the reservations and asked how I checked in online, and then was put on hold forever.
What's going on?
Old May 1, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by flytheskies
Yesterday, at T-48 there appears R3 RN3 along with F4. I didnt get get cleared for the CPU so I called and the agent gave me a story that they could not mess with the inventory and that the "computer" will clear them in the next cycle. I even called again earlier this morning, when the same inventory numbers showed. Again, I was told by the agent that they could not clear a CPU. I could check my place in line father I checked in.
Can't speak to the rest of the issues you had, but if an agent ever refuses to clear your waitlisted instrument hang up and try again. If the second one doesn't clear you ask to be taken off the waitlist and process it yourself online.
Old May 1, 2012, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Can't speak to the rest of the issues you had, but if an agent ever refuses to clear your waitlisted instrument hang up and try again. If the second one doesn't clear you ask to be taken off the waitlist and process it yourself online.
If it's an instrument, they'll clear it manually. But CPUs are not instruments and they won't clear them manually. CPUs are handled by "the system" and the agents have been told not to interfere.
Old May 1, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Is this the outbound or the return portion of your ticket? If it's the return you were probably auto checked-in. It's a "feature" of pmCO that I personally hate with a passion and wish UA would do away with. If it's the outbound then I can't explain it.

-RM
Old May 1, 2012, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
It's a "feature" of pmCO that I personally hate with a passion and wish UA would do away with.
Why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.