Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auto-check-in for return journey?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Auto-check-in for return journey?

Much to my surprise, I got an email with 2 mobile boarding passes yesterday, for my flight today. This is the inbound set of flights for an Aeroplan reservation on United metal.

I did not actually check in, so getting this email was really a surprise. On the United site, it says I am already checked-in.

I doubt a hacker would check me in for a flight! What is the explanation?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WillTravel
Much to my surprise, I got an email with 2 mobile boarding passes yesterday, for my flight today. This is the inbound set of flights for an Aeroplan reservation on United metal.

I did not actually check in, so getting this email was really a surprise. On the United site, it says I am already checked-in.

I doubt a hacker would check me in for a flight! What is the explanation?
As you noted, there is an auto check-in feature available at initial check-in.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Did you say Yes to auto-checkin for return flights when you did the checkin for your outbound? Actually, I guess we know the answer is yes you must have not realized or forgot you said yes, its a fairly new option (at least for PMUA folks, don't know if CO had this before) on the last step of OLCI it asks if you want auto-checkin for return flights.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to Auto Checkin

I've always liked it, but I know some people don't

Smarter Travel, August, 2008

Continental passengers will now be able to simultaneously check in for their departing and return flights. The airline's Auto Check-in system allows customers to have their boarding passes forwarded to them by email or fax, or delivered to a mobile device (if applicable). Passes can also be made ready for printing at an airport kiosk.

Online check-in is arguably one of the most useful and customer-friendly industry developments in recent years, and Continental is taking the tool one step further. By checking in for all flights at once, passengers can bypass long lines at both ends of the flight, saving time and aggravation at the airport.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
Welcome to Auto Checkin

I've always liked it, but I know some people don't

Smarter Travel, August, 2008

... saving time and aggravation at the airport.
Yep - let's save that time and aggravation and use it after the trip waiting for mileage to credit!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Not a fan on new UA

Auto check-in is fine if you know your plans are firm. If you need to make a change (like a SDC), you have to call in and have them un-check in. PMUA had an easier way to do it yourself, which today's UA does not. Just a word of caution for those unfamiliar with the auto checkin.

Safe travels.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by kit125
Auto check-in is fine if you know your plans are firm. If you need to make a change (like a SDC), you have to call in and have them un-check in. PMUA had an easier way to do it yourself, which today's UA does not. Just a word of caution for those unfamiliar with the auto checkin.

Safe travels.
+1

I stopped doing auto check-in because of the number of SDC's I had.

Advantages: Higher up the list on upgrades where time of check-in matters, less likely that you show up at the airport late & have your reservation cancelled (30 minutes vs after every one's boarded), and gets you an email with your BP if you can receive & print an email but not have Internet access.

Disadvatage: as referenced above.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
In using the mobile App yesterday to check-in, the auto check-in was an "Opt-In" feature.

For me (hardly ever have SDCs with my itnl flights), it is VERY useful
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I loathe auto check-in and really wish CO would do away with it. Errr, I mean the new UA. This is a pmCO feature that they kept during the OLCI process.

It's bitten me twice in the last month alone. First time using the Mobile App after I did check-in I saw that the auto upgrade feature was turned on. I turned it off but apparently it didn't "stick". Second time was last week. After doing OLCI on a normal web browser on a computer it auto checked me in for the return. I was shocked to see the boarding passes for my return flights show up in my inbox 24 hours before departure as I always uncheck the auto check in feature during OLCI.

-RM
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL UA (.5MM)
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
+1

I stopped doing auto check-in because of the number of SDC's I had.

Advantages: Higher up the list on upgrades where time of check-in matters, less likely that you show up at the airport late & have your reservation cancelled (30 minutes vs after every one's boarded), and gets you an email with your BP if you can receive & print an email but not have Internet access.

Disadvatage: as referenced above.
I experienced it for the first time a few weeks ago. I'd never seen it before and wasn't sure what I was checking when I said "yes" upon departure, so it sort of took me by surprise. I made it to the gate in time, but considering the huge traffic jam getting to ORD that day, it might well have saved me.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:18 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Why am I being auto-checked-in?

Suddenly I'm getting emails telling me that I've been checked in with links to my mobile boarding pass. I haven't set anything to do this as far as I know, and in general I prefer to have the BPs in my mobile app. What's going on with this?

Thanks,
ssh

PS I did do a bit of searching and was surprised not to find something on this, so I'm sure I just missed it...
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
It's the default setting in the mobile app every time you check in for the outbound segment. You'll have to uncheck the box if you don't wish to be automatically checked in.

I don't mind it
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:31 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Thanks, demkr! I'm not sure I mind... I just wanted to know why/how!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
I actually like this feaure. As the previous poster indicated, when you check into your outbound flight, the system assumes that you will be returning as planned and automatically helps you check in for your return flight. You can opt out when you're checking in on the first leg.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Landice
I actually like this feaure. As the previous poster indicated, when you check into your outbound flight, the system assumes that you will be returning as planned and automatically helps you check in for your return flight. You can opt out when you're checking in on the first leg.
Yes, modern technology that TWA used in the 1980s.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.