Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Auto-check-in for return journey?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM
Thanks for the feedback.
I had not known about the auto checkin. This is in fact the return leg of the RT.
I'm not sure I like that feature either. The email was generated at 23:58 minutes before departure of the flight so that seems to make sense. I would guess that there's no real harm to me as a passenger, even if I don't make this particular flight. But I can see that it might make the gatE agents jobs a bit more complicated waiting to see if all of those who have checked in actually showing up to board.

I'm going to call again and see what the telephone agents response to this might be, and see if all of them know about this feature.

Just spoke to a phone agent. Was on hold for 15 minutes while the agent checked.
She said that the flight was automatically checked in and that was how I was placed on the upgrade wait list. So it's not automatic now? Only upon check in? She also said that she had some sort of announcement that the auto check in might be going away in the middle of June.
As an aside to the upgrade issue, the answer given this time was that even if there is F4 inventory and R3, the computer may not clear the CPU within the timeframe windows if they think that they can get somebody to use an instrument.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 3, 2012 at 5:41 am
Old May 1, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by WhyPayRent
Why?
Because it takes the control of *my* travel out of *my* hands. It's not that I don't trust computers...the system will check you in if you have auto check-in enabled.

It just pisses me off that UA defaults it to on. It's a tricky setting that I believe should default to *off* or done away with completely.

Yes, CO is a hell of a lot better at changing reservations that are already checked in (UA couldn't do this without unchecking you in first). But there are pmUA agents who still aren't sure what to do with itineraries that are checked in.

If the poster above me is correct and auto check-in goes away in mid June I would see that as a customer enhancement that :-: I will like :-:. Obviously, this is my opinion only.

-RM
Old May 1, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Is this the outbound or the return portion of your ticket? If it's the return you were probably auto checked-in. It's a "feature" of pmCO that I personally hate with a passion and wish UA would do away with. If it's the outbound then I can't explain it.

-RM
I also don't like the auto checkin so I make sure to uncheck the box when I'm checking in. Unless you know to specifically uncheck it, I'm sure most people blow right by it. The reason I don't like the auto checkin is because if I need to make a change to my flight the phone agents always complain about having to uncheck me in.

Originally Posted by jackk
If it's an instrument, they'll clear it manually. But CPUs are not instruments and they won't clear them manually. CPUs are handled by "the system" and the agents have been told not to interfere.

Yeah, I for some reason was confusing CPU and GPU. I miss EUA and SWU.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI:18495842
Originally Posted by WhyPayRent
Why?
Because it takes the control of *my* travel out of *my* hands. It's not that I don't trust computers...the system will check you in if you have auto check-in enabled.

It just pisses me off that UA defaults it to on. It's a tricky setting that I believe should default to *off* or done away with completely.

Yes, CO is a hell of a lot better at changing reservations that are already checked in (UA couldn't do this without unchecking you in first). But there are pmUA agents who still aren't sure what to do with itineraries that are checked in.

If the poster above me is correct and auto check-in goes away in mid June I would see that as a customer enhancement that :-: I will like :-:. Obviously, this is my opinion only.

-RM
Ah. Thanks for your answer. I make quite a few changes to my flights due to work, but I always tell the agents the changes I want to make and uncheck myself in. I always look at the interwebs first. Personally, I like the auto check in. It gets me on the upgrade list sooner and I don't have a significant down side.
Old May 1, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: 1K on UA, Platinum on CO
Don't use Auto Book in - it may cause you to loose your seat - I used it for the first time and found my seat was given away to 2 other people - fortunately I had proof that I had the seat since FEB!!
Old May 1, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Marriot Plat Prmr (Plat Life), Hilton Dia, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by Dr_Adventure
Don't use Auto Book in - it may cause you to loose your seat - I used it for the first time and found my seat was given away to 2 other people - fortunately I had proof that I had the seat since FEB!!
I can't imagine that the 2 other people could have been comfortable.

Seriously - the random seat change thing is another issue I suspect not related at all to auto check in. (and lately it seems to have been corrected).

Also I am stuggling with this a bit. If you dont like it, dont check the box. It has always defaulted to off (un-checked) for me.
Old May 12, 2012, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by jackk
If it's an instrument, they'll clear it manually. But CPUs are not instruments and they won't clear them manually. CPUs are handled by "the system" and the agents have been told not to interfere.
The "system" in question is the TOD+Kettle system. Auto check in means you never see the TOD offer (if you're interested).
Old May 12, 2012, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Boghopper

The "system" in question is the TOD+Kettle system. Auto check in means you never see the TOD offer (if you're interested).
You can still see TODs on the mobile app even after auto check in.

The auto check is nice for me to have when I am out on the road. If nothing else, as a 2P, getting the note about auto check-in reminded me to go on and grab an E+seat if it was available.
Old May 18, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Black, Hertz 5*
Warning!! Don't use auto check-in if you care about upgrade offers

Let this be a warning to everyone-

I just got completely screwed by the auto-check in. Since it is not interactive, you lose the ability to receive TOD UPG offers. I ended up #1 on the upgrade list but watched in horror as the seats filled up by other people. My co-worker, who is a P2 and on a lower class fare got the offer 30 seconds after I checked in. I had no idea the mobile app defaulted to auto-checkin for the return leg. I never would have selected the option had I seen it.

I called the 1K desk and they told me multiple times "no such offer currently exists." Then it changed to "It's first come first serve, and your co-worker must have checked in first", which of course is not true. Bottom line, I'm still #1 on the upgrade list but now there are two seats left, all bad seats. What's infuriating is that I would have accepted the offer and used my SWU on a future flight that I could confirm. I thought about checking out and rechecking back-in online to see if I would get the offer, but it appears that functionality is gone on the PMUA website.

The final salt in the wound is that there are 8 seats left in first class, but it appears that UA will not OPUP B to A to make more B seats available - even for more revenue.

I'm on my way to the airport in a few hours and I'm going to see if they can do something for me. I know the answer already. I have to say, I am really pissed off right now. The default functionality of the mobile app was not thought through, and the already discussed issue of maximizing short term revenue over customer loyalty on TOD UPG offers is infuriating. At least give an offer to a 1K who checks in 24 hours ahead. The flight is SYD-SFO.. 13 hours. Sigh.

Andrew
Old May 19, 2012, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG lifetime platinum
Andrew, Actually I think you're mistaken. I am able to see the TOD upgrade offer AFTER having checked in. On United mobile app when you view your reservation simply ask to check in. It will tell you that you are already checked in for the flight and whether you want to reprint your BP or view the reservation. But then the TOD upgrade offer will appear at the bottom of the screen. I have even checked using the mobile app during the day preceding my flight to watch the cost of the TOD upgrade change during the day! Of course, if you have already been upgraded using a RPU or GPU or miles the offer is not presented. But my experience is that it keeps showing up each time you ask to check in.
Old May 19, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by entrada
Andrew, Actually I think you're mistaken. I am able to see the TOD upgrade offer AFTER having checked in. On United mobile app when you view your reservation simply ask to check in. It will tell you that you are already checked in for the flight and whether you want to reprint your BP or view the reservation. But then the TOD upgrade offer will appear at the bottom of the screen. I have even checked using the mobile app during the day preceding my flight to watch the cost of the TOD upgrade change during the day! Of course, if you have already been upgraded using a RPU or GPU or miles the offer is not presented. But my experience is that it keeps showing up each time you ask to check in.
Exactly - you are able to 're-checkin' just like anyone else, and it will give you any offers available.
Old May 19, 2012, 7:47 am

Does the system auto-check-in if you check-in from your laptop rather than from your mobile app?
Old May 19, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by milemonkey
Does the system auto-check-in if you check-in from your laptop rather than from your mobile app?
IME, the system will use auto-check in if you use any means to check in that is not an agent (iPhone, united.com, kiosk), and does so even if you uncheck the box saying you want this to happen. I've asked several agents, both reservations and web support how to turn this option off, and none of them seems to have a clue. Wish they would just get rid of this - let me check in when I want
Old May 20, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: UAL 1K, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Black, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by entrada
I will look for this on my next flight. In my case I didn't see any offers, nor could I find a way to check "out" so that I could go through the check-in process again on my laptop.

A
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
New feature: Auto-return check in?

(I know this is already in here somewhere but could find nothing when searching so moderator please redirect as necessary, thanks)

I was pleasantly surprised this week when I checked in on my domestic round-trip flight to be offered an automatic check-in for my return flight later in the week, at T-24 hours, with the BP's emailed to me! And it worked! ^

I normally fly internationally so maybe this is an old feature that does not apply to international PNR's, but it is a change I do like!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.