Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA F out of water rations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u
Should I post pictures of the air sickness bags full of minis handed out to F passengers and stuffed in FA bags on a recent DEN-OAK flight? Or does that not count?
If you want to be believed, yes.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Think about it, this is a major world class airline and you have paid passengers who can't get a glass of water. How sad is that?

AD
It is pathetic - about as pathetic as the service I had last year IAD/EZE in F (on a paid, highly discounted F fare). As far as the booze, only once in my million-plus-plus miles (on any airline, so probably closer to two million) have I seen a FA stealing booze. It was on UA, over the Atlantic eastbound, where the FA was opening quite a number of vodka minis into his now nearly half-full bottle of Crystal Geyser. I was really surprised to see it happen. Talking to FAs over the years, they know it happens from time to time.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I appreciate that information about the pilot contracts. Thanks.

But, do you seriously not believe that the flight attendants do the things described in this thread? How would you even know? You're in the cockpit when these things happen.

Like I said, it doesn't really bother me, I only mentioned it because the thread was about short-provisioned water. It's just weird that you insist that I must be lying or mistaken.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:43 pm

Sorry...this story sounds dubious at best. So the OP is saying FAs refused to give any passengers water?

I have been on flights where the bottled water runs out but there is still potable water on-board to drink from the tanks.

The coffee is not made with bottled water...the water in the loos is not bottled.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I have seen:

1) FA's "sneaking" the big bottles of H2O to their non-rev friends.

2) Purser giving unopened bottles of champagne (Dom at the time) and wine to non-rev spouse of working FA on international flight.

The latter I called my contacts at UA to tell them about it.

So it happens, as much as some people here don't want to believe it does.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by mike_L
I saw that several times. Kind of gross. It makes you wonder whether she pours water from that bottle later and gives to a customer.
Originally Posted by emanon256
I do have to say, I have seen this pretty frequently recently. Also, I see them open and drink directly out of the bottles.
I've seen FAs do this as well. Although to be very clear, when I have seen it done, I saw the FA remove the label from one of the water bottles to "mark" it as the FA bottle. Pax were served from bottles with the labels still on them.

And frankly, as long as pax are served from a clean bottle, I'm totally fine with this. FAs deserve to be hydrated too.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
I appreciate that information about the pilot contracts. Thanks.

But, do you seriously not believe that the flight attendants do the things described in this thread? How would you even know? You're in the cockpit when these things happen.

Like I said, it doesn't really bother me, I only mentioned it because the thread was about short-provisioned water. It's just weird that you insist that I must be lying or mistaken.
My point is you're making an accusation against the employees to blame for a United shortfall, with nothing to really back it up, that's all. Gets tiring being blamed for all of United's shortcomings on this board. Now all of sudden we can't even have water without passengers spying on us.

Let's place the blame where it belongs, those making the catering decisions. Who knew getting on a United flight now is like an episode of Survivor, hoping to win food or water.

AD
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
Wow, just wow.

It's illegal to raid the liquor cart, so I would highly doubt your assertion. Kind of stupid to risk your job over a small liquor sample. I've never heard of anyone being fired for taking liquor, so I'll pass that off as just another anti-labor post from you.

It's not "supposed" to happen (nor is theft from checked luggage), so you "highly doubt" rch4u's own first hand visual account?

If you want to be believed, yes

Again, a UA 1K's inflight observation is to be discredited until until they post a photo of the act here on FT?

Last edited by ColoBill1; Apr 2, 2012 at 9:57 pm
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:05 pm

Then your accusation is nothing but hearsay.

Hearsay: Evidence based on the reports of others rather than the personal knowledge of a witness and therefore generally not admissible as testimony.

Just because you don't like what someone reports based on their personal experiences or observations, doesn't give you the justification to dismiss it out of hand or insinuate/intimate that it never happened

Last edited by bkkman69; Apr 2, 2012 at 10:26 pm Reason: Updated wording
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
To bring it back to the original track, yes, I've noticed the catering configuration change over the past month. Specifically, on SFO>BOS>SFO in both directions we ran out of both bottled water and premium red wine in F. I had just one of the little shot glasses of red, so I was a little miffed. Again ran out of red and water in F on ORD>SFO, and again on red from DEN>SFO. In all cases FA's pulled the bottled wine from Y to try and appease people.

To be honest, this has never happened to me on any of my flights over the past 10 years, so four segments in a month seemed a little extreme. I assume this is a shakedown thing after 3/3 which they'll figure out, so I knocked 1KVoice a friendly feedback note.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by chrisny2
I wonder if shortages have anything to do with all of the crew that stick the bottles into their carry on luggage to take home.
The last time I flew UX, CLE-ORD, there were a bunch of deadheading FA's and pilots on board. The FA walked down the aisle handing waters to all his fellow employees, but no drink service for the regular pax, at all. Previously never had a problem getting drinks on that route PMCO, or WN.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by paule123
The last time I flew UX, CLE-ORD, there were a bunch of deadheading FA's and pilots on board. The FA walked down the aisle handing waters to all his fellow employees, but no drink service for the regular pax, at all. Previously never had a problem getting drinks on that route PMCO, or WN.
If you don't have pictures, it never happened...
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I have seen:

2) Purser giving unopened bottles of champagne (Dom at the time) and wine to non-rev spouse of working FA on international flight.

The latter I called my contacts at UA to tell them about it.

Sorry. Pics or it didn't happen. Those are the new flyertalk rules as of this thread.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:51 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by danBfree
Sorry. Pics or it didn't happen. Those are the new flyertalk rules as of this thread.
No kidding. I guess we (elites) are a bunch of liars who are making things up. Nice to be trusted around here.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
Originally Posted by iluv2fly

<snip>
Yes, I've seen FAs "sneak" water, snacks, drinks, etc. to pax too (or to their friends or into their own bags). But to be perfectly honest, whenever I saw it happening, it never bothered me. As far as I can recall, it didn't impact the service because they had PLENTY of everything. (Plus, I've received wine, snacks, etc. as "gifts" to take home as "thanks for being a 1K/1P/2P", and I'm guessing many others have as well. )

Anyway, back on topic:

Originally Posted by Sprezzatura
I've seen FAs do this as well. Although to be very clear, when I have seen it done, I saw the FA remove the label from one of the water bottles to "mark" it as the FA bottle. Pax were served from bottles with the labels still on them.
I think that's done so that pax don't accidentally grab their (FA's) water, which I think is catered for their personal use. Makes sense to me.

Let's place the blame where it belongs, those making the catering decisions. Who knew getting on a United flight now is like an episode of Survivor, hoping to win food or water.
Agreed. On the long but double catered (I think) OGG/LIH flights, they used to have extras of everything, even on the flights back to the mainland (granted, this was several years ago). It's sad to see that catering has gone downhill like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.