Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:41 am

SIN - SFO 11/23: PP --> J currently showing at $1,881 for the last couple of weeks with only about 12 seats selected. Chances of the cost of the upgrade continuing to go down or is it likely to stay where it is?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 3:36 pm

Flying from AUS to LHR in late December. I managed to snag an award ticket and Premium Plus from AUS to ORD. Now United is offering PP from ORD to LHR from $398. Is this acceptable? I remember it was over $2000 when I booked.

Only one PP seat is blocked at this time.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMetanova
Flying from AUS to LHR in late December. I managed to snag an award ticket and Premium Plus from AUS to ORD.
Do you maybe mean ECONOMY Plus AUS-ORD?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Do you maybe mean ECONOMY Plus AUS-ORD?
Yeah, sorry.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by canguywin
SIN - SFO 11/23: PP --> J currently showing at $1,881 for the last couple of weeks with only about 12 seats selected. Chances of the cost of the upgrade continuing to go down or is it likely to stay where it is?
Maybe ask here?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 10:44 am

Programs: Everyone!
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
ha I would love $199 - I have an 100K one-way (!!) economy award ticket IAD - SFO - SYD....and my offer is $432 for IAD-SFO First and $5,757 for SFO-SYD Polaris (strangely the same price for Premium Plus ha)
Just checked today and my IAD-SFO Polaris has dropped to $349 and SFO-SYD Premium Plus dropped to $825 and Polaris to $5,657
Old Nov 12, 2022, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Just checked using miles to upgrade for two upcoming flights I have this month.

BOS - DEN - SBA, total of 7 hours: 15k miles.

SFO - SBA, 1 hour: 20k miles ?!
Old Nov 12, 2022, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Supply and demand; dynamic pricing.

Many more elites are flying SFO-SBA than BOS-DEN-SBA.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by tstauck

​​​​​​Much like fare pricing, distance is not the determination of miles upgrade.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 1:33 am
hch

I just paid $350 per person for a group of three on HNL-SFO in early January. This seems like a steal to me as it booked into the last three available first seats in an 777-200 per the seatmap.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hch
I just paid $350 per person for a group of three on HNL-SFO in early January. This seems like a steal to me as it booked into the last three available first seats in an 777-200 per the seatmap.
I'm surprised they'd sell the last three seats this far in advance as discounted upgrades. Typically requires P inventory.

A good deal for those who don't need flexibility. Not really an option for me.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
UA is getting really good at monetizing their premium cabin. Flying to MIA today woke up to two seats available for upgrade and I’m number 2 - then they offer this:

Upgrade list was this before offer:

I don’t bite - but number 5 does….

So now I’m number 2 with one seat left - upgrade price is $763…. WFBF has never been more true….

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Nov 13, 2022 at 8:56 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 13, 2022, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by tstauck

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Supply and demand; dynamic pricing.

Many more elites are flying SFO-SBA than BOS-DEN-SBA.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
​​​​​​Much like fare pricing, distance is not the determination of miles upgrade.
Pretty sure the mileage upgrades are misleading/the wording has been poorly updated implying that they're confirmable when they're actually mileage upgrade awards.

Which there are nothing dynamic about. The cost of those is entirely based on the fare class you're in:
https://www.united.com/en/us/upgrade-awards

Based on those prices, the SFO-SBA is in one of: STLKG, whereas BOS-DEN-SBA is in one of: MEHUQ

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
UA is getting really good at monetizing their premium cabin. Flying to MIA today woke up to two seats available for upgrade and I’m number 2 - then they offer this:

I don’t bite - but number 5 does….
Yep, because number 5 knows they aren't going to get the upgrade based on that list, so they have no incentive to wait it out, unlike you.

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
So now I’m number 2 with one seat left - upgrade price is &763…. WFBF has never been more true….
Yes since the upgrade offers are dynamically priced with an underlying basis in the current booking codes available. So the lower booking codes available which UA opens up (even if there isn't a valid fare to book into those codes), prior to upgrade space being released, results in lower cost upgrade offers becoming generated until either no one bites and upgrade space is released, or someone bites and UA gets the additional income. Likely if you had looked at the flight availability with the $199 offer it would show some P or Z availability. After someone bought that upgrade and dropped the flight to 1 seat, likely only J or C would be left which is why the upgrade price jumped to $763.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 13, 2022 at 11:42 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 13, 2022, 9:28 am

Have a XN fare SFO- SEA on the day before Thanksgiving - the 23rd. Offered an upgrade for both tickets for $149 each.

I bought this upgrade because “day before Thanksgiving” It just seemed like a good idea. The flight was essentially free, so paying $300 is worth it.

I had already paid a $23 preferred seat fee, that was refunded automatically.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Have a XN fare SFO- SEA on the day before Thanksgiving - the 23rd. Offered an upgrade for both tickets for $149 each.

I bought this upgrade because “day before Thanksgiving” It just seemed like a good idea. The flight was essentially free, so paying $300 is worth it.
$149 is the going price when there's P inventory. Can be debated whether it's worth it - the F product is awful, but it's even worse in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.