Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2021, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Have never taken offers on CPU routes because I am a cheapskate, and I have never had any kind of luck getting a reasonable offers at booking or T-24 on non-CPU routes.

That said, I got an offer of 390 USD to move from E+ to J (787-10 / 78J) for a flight between LAX and EWR; PE was only $9 cheaper (also not spending $ on PE for a short flight like this). Removed my PP waitlist and took the offer.

Every one of these flights have been full (all 48 J seats) for a while now. Have a different flight coming up (but same routing) that is already sold out in J, so I may withdraw my PP upgrade request.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by gpicur
Hi ElSenor,

not sure what a “noob” question is, but you received the most complete, accurate and comprehensive answer from the most knowledgeable person on this forum. WinecountryUA is to the United Flyertalk forum what Jon Bon Jovi is to Rock N Roll.

Originally Posted by elsenor
Pardon the noob question, but were you offered the upgrade because of your UA status (more or less)? I don't mean the price, but the offer.

Related, without status, should I not expect to receive offers from UA? Instead, I assume I'd have to monitor the seat selection page and upgrade tab on my account (or inquire with an agent at checkin) for the ability and cost to move up?
"Noob" as in newbie, a new person, lacking experience or knowledge. And yes, I'm quite aware of WCUA and appreciated the comment by liking it

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2021 at 2:35 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Mar 13, 2021, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WalruSara
Flying a EWR-FRA leg tomorrow evening. Offer is currently $931 to upgrade from R (PE) to J. Hoping for a little bit of a drop over the next several hours but it's been holding steady at $931.
From R that is too high. That's more like an upfare. I mean you can get that for 30 +Ps. Did you check if you can upgrade with miles?
Old Mar 14, 2021, 5:40 pm

We changed our flights yesterday for travel on Thursday. I was considering the cash upgrade to first from Denver to OGG (as a surprise for my hard working husband as I was planning to sit in E with the kids). When I went back to check last night the offer had disappeared. All the first class seats appear sold even though on a mock booking I can see several still available. Will there be another cash offer at check-in? Sorry if this is a silly question. We are usually back of the plane people with our three kids!
Old Mar 14, 2021, 5:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tshofne
... Will there be another cash offer at check-in? ...
Maybe depending on the seat availability
Old Mar 14, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA - Silver, Hertz-5 star
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Have never taken offers on CPU routes because I am a cheapskate, and I have never had any kind of luck getting a reasonable offers at booking or T-24 on non-CPU routes.

That said, I got an offer of 390 USD to move from E+ to J (787-10 / 78J) for a flight between LAX and EWR; PE was only $9 cheaper (also not spending $ on PE for a short flight like this). Removed my PP waitlist and took the offer.

Every one of these flights have been full (all 48 J seats) for a while now. Have a different flight coming up (but same routing) that is already sold out in J, so I may withdraw my PP upgrade request.
LAX to EWR is a short flight?. I guess you must TPAC or TATL from the West Coast a lot to consider a TCON a "short flight"
Old Mar 14, 2021, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paul510
LAX to EWR is a short flight?. I guess you must TPAC or TATL from the West Coast a lot to consider a TCON a "short flight"
LAX to EWR is usually pretty quick with the winds. I've had flight times under 4h.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 3:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Route: RDU-DEN-DRO
Fare: $268 for W or $477 for Z/W (DEN-DRO is single class)
After Booking: Offered to upgrade RDU-DEN for $169, a $40 savings

Declined it. $169 isn't worth it for a sandwich and a slightly better seat.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Similar situation for my wife flying CVG-HOU tomorrow. Upgrade currently showing $89 to first. Not worth it (to me) for a 2:52 flight. But if that dropped to something like $59, I might use some voucher bucks to move her up.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 1:41 am

Flying tomorrow on UA1850, LAX-SAP (5h 10mn). Booked as an award ticket in Y. During OLCI I was offered to upgrade to first on a 737-800 for $79. Paid for the upgrade!
Old Apr 11, 2021, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by B747forever
Flying tomorrow on UA1850, LAX-SAP (5h 10mn). Booked as an award ticket in Y. During OLCI I was offered to upgrade to first on a 737-800 for $79. Paid for the upgrade!
wow, that's a nice TOD upgrade .
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:03 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
If you are checking in for a next day flight, what is the best time to check in, for upgrade offers? The full 24 hours or? Reason I am asking, is the flights that I am taking, have no First class seats assigned. Four segments, all the seats are still showing on the map. Flights are first week in June, ORD>IAH>MID, and return.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by not2017
If you are checking in for a next day flight, what is the best time to check in, for upgrade offers? The full 24 hours or? Reason I am asking, is the flights that I am taking, have no First class seats assigned. Four segments, all the seats are still showing on the map. Flights are first week in June, ORD>IAH>MID, and return.
Checking in 24 hours ahead of the flight helps with upgrade tiebreakers - I've never seen it impact upgrade offers.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by elsenor
Similar situation for my wife flying CVG-HOU tomorrow. Upgrade currently showing $89 to first. Not worth it (to me) for a 2:52 flight. But if that dropped to something like $59, I might use some voucher bucks to move her up.
It might be worth it to her!
Old Apr 21, 2021, 2:41 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Any recent experiences upgrading from PE R to Business on MUC-IAD route?

Curious as to what is the best case scenario upgrade... I am prepared to slum it in Premium Economy but would be nice to UPG to J and try that out too.

I did not want to book J as the price was 2,5x the PE and the points received into my Star alliance program were the same. Due to no response from United regarding a 1K challenge I decided to just keep collecting where I usually do

I appreciate your help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.