Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
It sounds like you got lucky with P fare availability except for that last segment; had you booked at United, you probably wouldn't have been able to even book a mixed-cabin ticket like this. There's really nothing you can do except wait to see what happens at check-in when you return. On the plus side, it's less than two hours from ORD to BOS anyway.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by OUTrippin
She said there was nothing left in P.
This is the key. You can use Expert Mode to keep an eye out for P space and call back when P opens up.

Otherwise, you should at some point be offered the ca. $129 flat-rate buyup online - at check-in if not sooner.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by findark
This is the key. You can use Expert Mode to keep an eye out for P space and call back when P opens up.

Otherwise, you should at some point be offered the ca. $129 flat-rate buyup online - at check-in if not sooner.
Sounds like I may have done alright for myself on the overall flight so I’ll count that as a win and see what happens. Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
04/27/18 LAX-LIH 752 8:15 AM depart (& LIH-HNL on HA)
(flights with my daughter)

1. Lesson 1 - UA can't handle the code share and splits the PNR at check in ; still can't pull up either boarding pass on the app

2. Lesson 2 - UA is varying its TOD upgrade prices:

@ check in via the web, offer was $649:

However, when the PNR split, it wasn't clear if I'd actually checked in since I didn't show up on the upgrade list and my daughter (no UA status) did.

Grabbing the new PNR, I was able to get the app to find my part of the split reservation and was given a lower TOD offer 4 minutes after T-24:

Again I didn't accept. I called the1K desk and they took about 10 minutes to get me back onto the upgrade list - where I was then #1 , someone else at #2 and then my daughter at #3 .

Fast forward to T-12ish. Checking the app, I'm upgraded as was the former #2 , daughter is now #1 and holding:

However, because of the upgrade and the HA leg between LIH-HNL, my PNR was again out of sync. Again called 1K and the agent unchecked me in from the LAX-LIH so that I could re-check in. At this point, still in J.

3. Lesson 3: Kettles aren't necessarily getting better offers any more: my daughter's PNR now shows the original offer again:

All in a day's work dealing with the vagaries of UA's IT.

David
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by DELee
1. Lesson 1 - UA can't handle the code share and splits the PNR at check in ; still can't pull up either boarding pass on the app
From my experience, codeshares on UA are handled as follows (during check in):
  • If CodeShare is with select *A partner (see here) : Check in for both flights (although you may not be able to select seat on codeshare flight in UA app). Also TSA Pre-Check details aren't forwarded to codeshare partner meaning if you require pre-check you'll need to see check-in agent with partner airline to reissue boarding pass (UA IT should figure out a way to fix this glitch)
  • If CodeShare is not with a *A partner (i.e. HA) or a *A partner not listed in the link above (i.e. South African) : Check in separately for each flight using the PNR listed on the UA website/app. Again seat selection and advance PreCheck with codeshare partner will most likely be unavailable.
Hope that helps.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:45 am

Hi there, hope you may help me out:

I have made a reservation for FCA to ORD in mid-June in Economy with my LH Miles and More-Miles, booking class is X. Since my other flights on that travel are in Lufthansa C I would like to upgrade that FCA ORD segment, to have no baggage issues (1x23kg vs. 2x32 on LH). When selecting seats I am offered the option to buy up to Economy Plus but that won´t help. There is no option to upgrade to Business/First, though, when putting the cursor above that seats, it says: "Upgrades may be available to this premium cabin. Upon selection, you will be taken from the seat map to view applicable cabin and pricing" and when doing so, I get back to the "View current reservation" screen without any offers concerning First. What´s the best strategy? I have no United miles or status, but plenty of Miles and More Miles. No First Saver available for the whole month. Thus, no availability to book First in Miles and More directly. I would pay with money for that upgrade.

Thank you so much!

Last edited by Becks194; Apr 27, 2018 at 1:55 am
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Becks194
What´s the best strategy?
1 - Keep watching business award availability, as United may open seats closer to departure.
2 - You will (probably) not be able to upgrade an award ticket with cash prior to the day of departure. If there are seats available in business, they may be offered for sale during the check-in process. The price may fluctuate after check in, so if you don't like the first price you see, check again later. You can find the price by selecting "Travel Options" on a checked-in reservation on the United app or by going through the check-in process again on the web or at an airport kiosk.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
04/27/18 LAX-LIH 752 8:15 AM depart
That's a sweet CPU, especially on a Friday morning.

Fast forward to T-12ish. Checking the app, I'm upgraded as was the former #2 , daughter is now #1 and holding
T-68 minutes, and still #1 with 2 seats left . . . good luck!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
update:

she declined the upgrade:

#2 paid her $300 cash so that he and his wife could upgrade together. There's more still....

I'll post when I get to HNL.

David
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Did UA know the transaction?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Did UA know the transaction?
I don't think it's any of UA's business. The next person on the list ended up in F, #1 took a reasonable payoff, there was no list jumping or shenanigans - seems like everyone was happy.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Becks194
... I have made a reservation for FCA to ORD in mid-June in Economy with my LH Miles and More-Miles, booking class is X. Since my other flights on that travel are in Lufthansa C I would like to upgrade that FCA ORD segment, to have no baggage issues (1x23kg vs. 2x32 on LH). ...
Two options
-- Keep checking for I space on UA (mid-June may be low probability). Then you will have to deal with LH M&M on making the change. UA will not touch an LH M&M award ticket.

-- If you check in with UA, you may be offered a cash upgrade option, no guarantees. If there is a pre-connecting flight and you check in with another carrier, you will not see an offer. Mibghtbe able to ask for an offer at the UA flight gate.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Curious if anyone has had this happen to them -

Purchased a fairly last minute HNL-SFO flight for this weekend - surprisingly under $500, with only 2 days until flight. First class was expensive (or more than I wanted to pay) and during the purchase process upgrade was expensive (like $600-$900 each way). Outbound is T class inbound is G class.

A couple of hours later, when ticketed, went to upgrade with RPU - offered $319 each way to upgrade - I went to jump on it as it was about a 1/3 of the price previously and that is usually the 24 hour or less buy up. Went to purchase, got an error could not complete transaction - please try again. I did. Same error. Tried again - same error. Gave up.

Next day, I look at my credit card online - and notice 2 charges on my credit card and 1 on the other. All are "pending charges" Look online, still in economy. I hadn't realized they tried to authorize my card all 3 times I tried to upgrade.

Check in today - I see my seat in First - I think great, the elusive CPU - but I don't see my name as upgraded. Look online, both segments show P class, United First.

More oddly, my flight quickly went from F5 and wide open Y buckets, to F0 and only full fare economy available for sale.

Anyone see this before - any guesses what happened?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Looks like a web site problem, since the buy-ups obviously ended up being processed.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Looks like a web site problem, since the buy-ups obviously ended up being processed.
I was asking if anyone ever had this book into P class - and not get charged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.