Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Yesterday: DFW-LAX on an E175. $159 for First. Contemplated taking it, but didn't want to trade my economy aisle for First window just to have a cold beef noodle entree. Was fine with my free drink and tapas box in Y.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Booked DEN-PHL recently, and the best seat was a middle seat in E+. Upgrade offer has fluctuated to very high numbers, but currently at a low of $209. Searched the spreadsheet and didn't see much info on this city pair. Thoughts?
Old May 14, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Route fare differential is $199, how much is it to just GG BUYUP? I would expect an offer at check-in between $169 and $209.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Booked DEN-PHL recently, and the best seat was a middle seat in E+. Upgrade offer has fluctuated to very high numbers, but currently at a low of $209.
Originally Posted by findark
I would expect an offer at check-in between $169 and $209.
I would be a little surprised to see it drop below $209. In my recent experience, it now either stays the same or goes up after check-in.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Have an offer for $1902 to go from J to F on an upcoming MUC-IAD flight on 772. Funny thing is that I am upgraded in J with a GPU
Old May 14, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Kacee
I would be a little surprised to see it drop below $209. In my recent experience, it now either stays the same or goes up after check-in.
It was as high as $4xx yesterday, came down this morning. To Findark, GGBuyup is around $700 roundtrip. Knowing the new "lack" of decent catering for lunch flights, I'm not thrilled to upgrade at a cost for minimal offerings. A better seat and a some free drinks appeal to me, not to mention PQM's. Feel like I'm back to my old days of grabbing a sandwich in DEN before departure, now even if sitting in First... I already know PQD's won't increase from my current booking, but I'm okay with that as I will exceed $12K this year. So going from 10E to First, plus a drink or two, and double PQM's for $209.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:20 pm

For this TOD upgrade to ZN fare, should I be receiving the miles for the original booking class?

I received some weird numbers, none of the RDMs, PQMs, PQD matched that given in the original booking.
Old May 14, 2018, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by fone
For this TOD upgrade to ZN fare, should I be receiving the miles for the original booking class?

I received some weird numbers, none of the RDMs, PQMs, PQD matched that given in the original booking.
Unlikely since the fare basis is N (basic economy) and miles earned in this instance is based on fare basis. Sometimes when you upgrade it refares it as a P which would earn 200% mileage.

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 14, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fone

Yes, you should earn according to the original class of service. Technically speaking, you should always earn according to the original class of service, but the computer frequently overlooks that
Old May 14, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Have an offer for $1902 to go from J to F on an upcoming MUC-IAD flight on 772. Funny thing is that I am upgraded in J with a GPU
No soup for you!
Old May 15, 2018, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Just booked YOW -> HKG on UA - accidentally clicked through buy up offers so didn't notice what the pricing was.

Going back to the UA site and clicking redeem upgrade I've got the following options:
  • Wed Jun 6 - EWR > NRT - $2,294 USD to buy into Polaris J on 777-300ER
  • Thurs Jun 14 - NRT > EWR - $3,780 USD to buy into Polaris J on 777-300ER
The other segments aren't eligible for upgrade since YOW -> EWR is on a single-class aircraft and NRT/HND <-> HKG is operated by NH. The tickets are on K fares. Buy up using miles is the standard 30,000 miles $600 USD again only upgrading the EWR <-> NRT segments although those are both waitlist only.

I'm a cheap skate, don't need the PQM bump and don't mind sitting 15+ hours in a bulkhead E+ seat so I think I'll pas on those.

Safe Travels,

James
Rechecked the upgrade on my EWR -> NRT segments and now see the following offers:
  • EWR -> NRT - $2,294 USD/person
  • NRT -> EWR - $1,100 USD/person
The last one is starting to get tempting (don't see that offer too often) but will remain disciplined. I've seen ~$900 USD ToD upgrades on AKL -> SFO before!

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 15, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Rechecked the upgrade on my EWR -> NRT segments and now see the following offers:
The last one is starting to get tempting (don't see that offer too often) but will remain disciplined. I've seen ~$900 USD ToD upgrades on AKL -> SFO before!

Safe Travels,

James
That $1,100 is getting close to the TOD of $949 that my wife received at the T-24 online check-in for PVG-ORD.
Old May 15, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Usually only get "buy-up" offers at the T-24 check-in. Logged onto the app today, at T-48 and was surprised to see ORDLAS upgrade for $179; I was booked on a Y fare and wasn't able to confirm in advance.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
May 3 IAD - LHR UA924 - $829.
Old May 16, 2018, 4:39 am

Safe Travels,

James
Checked a couple of times yesterday after seeing the lower upgrade offer. The upgrade offer on the second segment (NRT-.EWR) jumped back to the ~$3,000 price it was originally listed at. Check United this morning (6:30 AM EDT) only to find that the price on the second segment dropped back down to $1,100 USD/person.

Does UA have set times of day where they drop the buy up offers (i.e. early in the morning)? Would be curious to hear other's expectations with this since I doubt this has anything to do with load factors in J.

Safe Travels,

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.