Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
BUY UP offer $119 immediately after purchase ORD-LGA, Q fare for a late July trip. Did not take it as I don't do it on domestic flights. After ticketed, I checked again and there was no offer anymore. Only choices were to waitlist an upgrade with 15,000 miles or waitlist a RPU.

My wife who is Platinum got the same offer for the same flight. She did take it.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Ua 652 bos-den

Just checked in for tomorrow's flight -- $199 offer for 1C or 1D. I'm already in 8D so passed, will have enough leg room for 4.5 hour flight and don't care about the "first class" burger or pizza anymore; would rather buy a decent sandwich at the airport.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by plinth857
As a Cleveland flyer, I've found my offers departing from CLE are often higher than those when I am returning. Out of curiosity, what has your experience been in this regard?
I've never compared outbound vs. inbound offers. Considering I always have an E+ seat the upgrade offers haven't been compelling, especially considering the cutbacks on the food service in the F cabin. At the very least the old PMCO "snack plate" should be served in between mealtimes, not that insulting joke of a "snack basket". A redeye from the west coast and they offer a basket of potato chips and expect me to pay for an F upgrade? LOL. But I digress...
Old May 4, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Ua 2059 bwi-sfo (a319)

My friend (no status) got an offer after check in for $179. He took it around T-1. Looks like there were a couple dozen people on the upgrade list that didn’t clear
Old May 6, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
LAX-ORD-ROC in July $188 K fare

LAX-ORD $209 PCU
ORD-ROC $112 PCU

Took the upsell for the first leg. Booked into P
Old May 6, 2018, 4:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
OLCI for a Premier Silver on a K Fare tomorrow:

- RDU-ORD A-320: $129
- ORD-DFW A-320: $119

Declined both. E+ is pretty open and neither deal is all that appealing to me.
Old May 6, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
My friend (no status) got an offer after check in for $179. He took it around T-1. Looks like there were a couple dozen people on the upgrade list that didn’t clear
What was his original fare class?
Old May 8, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
$4305 CDG-IAD, Business to First. Not if I don’t get soup!
Old May 8, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Artpen100
$4305 CDG-IAD, Business to First. Not if I don’t get soup!
Haha. Whenever I see the J->F upgrade prices the very first thought that comes to my mind is "that must be the world's most expensive bowl of soup." Sadly, I won't even be able to think that anymore.

-FlyerBeek
Old May 8, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
So the payment for the UG the flight does not qualify for PQD? But it did convert S to P. I wanted the PQD not the PQM, but at least I now know. Will not make that mistake again. :-(
Old May 8, 2018, 10:46 pm

Just booked YOW -> HKG on UA - accidentally clicked through buy up offers so didn't notice what the pricing was.

Going back to the UA site and clicking redeem upgrade I've got the following options:
  • Wed Jun 6 - EWR > NRT - $2,294 USD to buy into Polaris J on 777-300ER
  • Thurs Jun 14 - NRT > EWR - $3,780 USD to buy into Polaris J on 777-300ER
The other segments aren't eligible for upgrade since YOW -> EWR is on a single-class aircraft and NRT/HND <-> HKG is operated by NH. The tickets are on K fares. Buy up using miles is the standard 30,000 miles $600 USD again only upgrading the EWR <-> NRT segments although those are both waitlist only.

I'm a cheap skate, don't need the PQM bump and don't mind sitting 15+ hours in a bulkhead E+ seat so I think I'll pas on those.

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 9, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Just booked YOW -> HKG on UA - accidentally clicked through buy up offers so didn't notice what the pricing was.

Going back to the UA site and clicking redeem upgrade I've got the following options:
  • Wed Jun 6 - EWR > NRT - $2,294 USD to buy into Polaris J on 777-300ER
  • Thurs Jun 14 - NRT > EWR - $3,780 USD to buy into Polaris J on 777-300ER
The other segments aren't eligible for upgrade since YOW -> EWR is on a single-class aircraft and NRT/HND <-> HKG is operated by NH. The tickets are on K fares. Buy up using miles is the standard 30,000 miles $600 USD again only upgrading the EWR <-> NRT segments although those are both waitlist only.

I'm a cheap skate, don't need the PQM bump and don't mind sitting 15+ hours in a bulkhead E+ seat so I think I'll pas on those.

Safe Travels,

James
In a situation like that, I do the waitlisting. If it clears, good. If it doesn't clear, good too if I'm in that bulkhead E+ seat. And if it does not clear, I hope that I get a TOD at check-in. Most times the TOD cost is better than the miles + copay.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
In a situation like that, I do the waitlisting. If it clears, good. If it doesn't clear, good too if I'm in that bulkhead E+ seat. And if it does not clear, I hope that I get a TOD at check-in. Most times the TOD cost is better than the miles + copay.
Looking at the United Upgrade spreadsheet it seems like my chances of get a real bargain on the upgrade are pretty low (easily $1,000+ for flights between NRT and mainland US). I'm quite content in travelling in E+ bulkhead window seat to US but will keep checking to see if there's a steal (i.e. $600-$700 USD upgrade buy up with PQM boost). Spending 30,000 miles + $600 USD just to go on a waitlist doesn't seem like a good deal to me (especially given since there's no PQM boost) and the waitlist anxiety will kill me.

Will keep community posted on offers as I check in with this.

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 9, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
So the payment for the UG the flight does not qualify for PQD? But it did convert S to P. I wanted the PQD not the PQM, but at least I now know. Will not make that mistake again. :-(
Correct - TOD offers never earn PQD.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
EWR-LHR standard offer of $829 at OLCI — tempted to bite since I was on a $500 rt K fare but decided against it in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.