Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Interesting. I have not had that experience. But I'll definitely keep an eye out!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
On the issue of purchased upgrades mileage earning, there is extensive discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ome-don-t.html and its wiki for those looking for more details.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:34 pm

MCO - IAD offer for 129 today.
Took it as flight is full.

Booked into P

Last edited by noname83; Mar 2, 2017 at 4:58 pm
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
SFO-EWR offer $299, declined

Hello,

Today I was offered $299 for tomorrow morning's flight SFO-EWR. I am on a V fare SFO-EWR-BCN. I declined the upgrade. I already paid $475 plus 20k miles for the upgrade EWR-BCN which cleared yesterday. I'm somewhat annoyed that I was offered to pay again for an upgrade that I had already paid.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by misterfuss
Hello,

Today I was offered $299 for tomorrow morning's flight SFO-EWR. I am on a V fare SFO-EWR-BCN. I declined the upgrade. I already paid $475 plus 20k miles for the upgrade EWR-BCN which cleared yesterday. I'm somewhat annoyed that I was offered to pay again for an upgrade that I had already paid.
If no one else bites at $299, you might get the upgrade you had paid for - unless they lower the price to $199. If you have a lower price that you'd pay to get up front on the tcon, be sure to ask about a paid upgrade at SFO. You never know what they might be pricing it at a few hours before departure.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by misterfuss
Good reason to be annoyed. Hope they do the right thing and clear you.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:06 pm

during booking, I was offered SFO-ORD(777) upgrade for $149, but I waited too long,

I was booking a SFO-ORD flight this morning. I got my usual favorite exit aisle seat on the 777-200. During the last screen, it offered me upgrade to first for only $149. It's the lie-flat seats. I was going to take it because there was very little chance of me clearing the free upgrade as a gold.

At that moment, I got a call and when I finished talking 10 minutes later, I was unable to select and pay for that upgrade. Is there anyway for me to buy that $149 upgrade now?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Landscaper
I was booking a SFO-ORD flight this morning. I got my usual favorite exit aisle seat on the 777-200. During the last screen, it offered me upgrade to first for only $149. It's the lie-flat seats. I was going to take it because there was very little chance of me clearing the free upgrade as a gold.

At that moment, I got a call and when I finished talking 10 minutes later, I was unable to select and pay for that upgrade. Is there anyway for me to buy that $149 upgrade now?
Cancel the ticket and try again. Typical price is more like $199 (also usually extra cost to buy F outright) but you may see the same offer again.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Cancel the ticket and try again. Typical price is more like $199 (also usually extra cost to buy F outright) but you may see the same offer again.
do I need to cancel and rebuy? or will that cause the system to reject it because my name shows up twice for the same flight? it's a rather complicated reservation involving 6 flights(both int'l and domestic) and one of the flights had only a couple of cheap fares remaining.... I don't want to risk cancelling and not being able to get the lower fare again.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
do I need to cancel and rebuy? or will that cause the system to reject it because my name shows up twice for the same flight? it's a rather complicated reservation involving 6 flights(both int'l and domestic) and one of the flights had only a couple of cheap fares remaining.... I don't want to risk cancelling and not being able to get the lower fare again.
You do need to start the reservation process fresh again to trigger that offer. However, you may book the second ticket first, and then cancel the first one (this should protect you). The system does not do real-time checks for duplicate bookings; however, if you were to let them sit for hours you might have problems.

You could also call and ask about the upsell, but they are usually web-only offers. You are also very likely to see the same (or similar) offer during check-in if any F seats remain at that time.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:20 pm

You do need to start the reservation process fresh again to trigger that offer. However, you may book the second ticket first, and then cancel the first one (this should protect you). The system does not do real-time checks for duplicate bookings; however, if you were to let them sit for hours you might have problems.

You could also call and ask about the upsell, but they are usually web-only offers. You are also very likely to see the same (or similar) offer during check-in if any F seats remain at that time.
Thank you! I'm pretty sure there's no chance for a gold to get free upgrade on SFO-ORD, even on a 777-200, so I'll try to rebook again. Sure hope the $149 offer comes up again.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! I'm pretty sure there's no chance for a gold to get free upgrade on SFO-ORD, even on a 777-200, so I'll try to rebook again. Sure hope the $149 offer comes up again.
The new lie-flat domestic 77G has one of the worst Y/F ratios in the fleet and regularly produces 100+ long upgrade lists. Good luck!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 3, 2017 at 4:18 pm Reason: restored modified quote
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Good reason to be annoyed. Hope they do the right thing and clear you.
Unfortunately, they did not.

Originally Posted by transportprof
If no one else bites at $299, you might get the upgrade you had paid for - unless they lower the price to $199. If you have a lower price that you'd pay to get up front on the tcon, be sure to ask about a paid upgrade at SFO. You never know what they might be pricing it at a few hours before departure.
There were 4 seats available when I checked in at T-24. I called the Premier desk and was told there was nothing they could do. While I was on the phone, the agent advised me that he was showing business was now full. I had made a screenshot with my "offer" though.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:45 pm

FTFY. The new lie-flat domestic 77G has one of the worst Y/F ratios in the fleet and regularly produces 100+ long upgrade lists. Good luck!
Thanks!

I left my existing reservation alone. I then booked the exact same trip on a different computer, without logging into my UA account. It offered me the $149 upgrade again, so I too it. Too bad all the remaining seats are the reverse-facing seats that I hate, but still, it was too good to pass up for $149. God knows I waste more than $149 on frivolous things.

The strangest thing was that the 2nd reservation cost eactly $3.78 cents more than my first one. They were the exact same 6 intl and domestic flights on the exact same date/time. 1st and 2nd reservation were booked about 5 hours apart.

I just cancelled the 1st reservation a couple of minutes ago.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
3/3 SFO-EWR. $299 at checkin. Grab it for the wife. I was hoping my RPU would clear. But being 1K has no difference. So ended up just paid.

Being 1K has no value for UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.