Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
I am willing to pay up to $1800 each way for a 9+ hour flight upgrade (out of pocket because my firm won't) and $300 each way for SFO-EWR/BOS/IAD flights. It's more important for me to sleep and maybe have a glass of wine than be fatigued for the entirety of the trip because I was squeezed in 7C bulkhead exit seat on a non-PS 757. Ugh!!!
I thought that if one bought up to the next class of service, you didn't get PQMs or PQ$ for the new fare?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mmack
I thought that if one bought up to the next class of service, you didn't get PQMs or PQ$ for the new fare?
Depends if it is a fee for the upgrade or an upfare. If the upgrade fee goes to R just get the original class, if the fee puts you in a different fare class, but still an upgrade, like A or P or Z get the extra PQM's but not the extra PQD's. If a true upfare, paying the difference in fare to put you in the premium cabin, then you get the extra PQM's and PQD's.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat, UA Club, Marriott/SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Amex Plat
$320 SFO->BOS red eye tonight. Need to work tomorrow morning so took it. Down from thousands (!) they wanted last week when I checked. Last F seat available, was booked earlier today.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DELee
03/01/17: UA233 SFO-EWR on 77W - now in 39J (last exit row aisle)

UACO is asking $299 to move up to J/Polaris Seat - @ T-24 there were still 14 J seats but now @ T-19.5, down to 1. Started at #1 on upgrade list but now at #4 so very unlikely.

Won't be taking the $299. Had applied an instrument - upgraded on LAX-SFO but doesn't look like SFO-EWR will pan out.

David
Follow up:

Sadly, my alarm didn't go off (nor did I receive any of the flight reminders from United) so I awoke so late that I wouldn't have made it to the 6AM LAX-SFO flight today and hadn't cleared into J/Polaris on the SFO-EWR 77W - was able to SDC to 9:10AM LAX-EWR direct. On the LAX-EWR flight I was offered $279 to move from 21B to the last J seat on a 752. Didn't take.

Will have to keep an eye on the applied instrument to make sure it either gets re-deposited or to bug Mileage Plus to get it back.

David
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Follow up:

Sadly, my alarm didn't go off (nor did I receive any of the flight reminders from United) so I awoke so late that I wouldn't have made it to the 6AM LAX-SFO flight today and hadn't cleared into J/Polaris on the SFO-EWR 77W - was able to SDC to 9:10AM LAX-EWR direct. On the LAX-EWR flight I was offered $279 to move from 21B to the last J seat on a 752. Didn't take.

Will have to keep an eye on the applied instrument to make sure it either gets re-deposited or to bug Mileage Plus to get it back.

David
a $279 offer at check-in would have given you double the miles on that segment. Considering RPUs clearing is notoriously difficult, that would have been a good option.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
a $279 offer at check-in would have given you double the miles on that segment.
Are you sure? According to the wiki, most of the offers end up with earning based on the original booking class.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
a $279 offer at check-in would have given you double the miles on that segment.
Originally Posted by gusd
Are you sure? According to the wiki, most of the offers end up with earning based on the original booking class.
It's not predictable in advance.

Just depends on what class the upgrade books into.

If it did accrue extra, would just be PQM. I have no problem getting those, it's the PQD and RDM that have become difficult under the new system.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by wco81
So you're not paying for the coach ticket, just have to pay for upgrades?

I can see paying for Y to C. But $1000 for C to F?

An F lie flat will make it easier to get sleep than a C lie flat?
I am the sucker who is willing to pay for C to F so that I don't have somebody sitting next to me -- easier to sleep undisturbed with ambien washed down with a drink.

I don't think you get the higher PQM/PQD because it's a buyup and not a class change or something like that -- example: P vs PN. I was told that if an offer is made (esp on international flights), you should call United reservations and ask them to make the changes in the record.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by gusd
All my offers in the last 2 to 3 hours have booked into P. But Kacee is right, YMMV
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
All my offers in the last 2 to 3 hours have booked into P.
And I have had them book into PN or ZN which will not increase PQM.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
And I have had them book into PN or ZN which will not increase PQM.
Kacee, you are right.

I have been lazy about mileage accumulation. I am determined to get to 4 MM by end of 2018 so I have to be more vigilant.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
If it booked into P, you're paying the fare difference (however little it may be depending on your original fare), not a TOD offer, so the P fare earnings apply. If it booked into PN, ZN, or in some really rare cases, R, then the original fare class earnings apply.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by diburning
If it booked into P, you're paying the fare difference (however little it may be depending on your original fare), not a TOD offer
It's not as clear cut as that. TOD offers have been observed to book into R, PN, P, ZN, ON, A, and probably other codes as well.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:29 pm

If it booked into P, you're paying the fare difference (however little it may be depending on your original fare), not a TOD offer, so the P fare earnings apply. If it booked into PN, ZN, or in some really rare cases, R, then the original fare class earnings apply.
While logic might dictate that, the standard nature of the $249 and $299 offer on the IAD-LAX/SFO routes where last minute business fares run buckwild says otherwise. But again, as i said YMMV.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:14 pm

If it booked into P, you're paying the fare difference (however little it may be depending on your original fare), not a TOD offer, so the P fare earnings apply.
Nope.

Originally Posted by findark
It's not as clear cut as that. TOD offers have been observed to book into R, PN, P, ZN, ON, A, and probably other codes as well.
Yeah the buy-ups book into whatever's available. I've had $x9 buy-ups book into both revenue and upgrade fare classes without accruing additional PQD (which they would do if it had been an upfare).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.