FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Upsell Offers to Business/First at Purchase and Day of Departure (TOD) [Archive]
Old Mar 3, 2017, 1:17 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Landscaper
do I need to cancel and rebuy? or will that cause the system to reject it because my name shows up twice for the same flight? it's a rather complicated reservation involving 6 flights(both int'l and domestic) and one of the flights had only a couple of cheap fares remaining.... I don't want to risk cancelling and not being able to get the lower fare again.
You do need to start the reservation process fresh again to trigger that offer. However, you may book the second ticket first, and then cancel the first one (this should protect you). The system does not do real-time checks for duplicate bookings; however, if you were to let them sit for hours you might have problems.

You could also call and ask about the upsell, but they are usually web-only offers. You are also very likely to see the same (or similar) offer during check-in if any F seats remain at that time.