Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mmack
.... If in theory R less than or equal to RN is there a way to figure out if there are actually more upgrades available when R=1 RN=1?.....
Had assumed this was like XY/NY, a redemption by an elite will decrease both. R1 RN1 likely means just one seat available. RN is only meaningful if RN>R -- which I have not seen yet (but some reported some of the Hawaii flights have had it).
Old Mar 24, 2012, 1:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Question How to distinguish R upgrades on a 3 class aircraft

Looking to book SFO-PVG, and upgrading from Y to C using a GPU.

I see R = 2, does that mean two Y to C upgrades are available, or C to F, or both? Any way to distinguish like we could under the old NC and NF codes?
Old Mar 24, 2012, 2:04 am

Yes, R is from Economy to BusinessFirst.

BusinessFirst to GlobalFirst falls into O. It appears that GlobalFirst awards also come out of O, while BusinessFirst awards are out of I. The fact that GF upgrades and awards are in the same bucket is no doubt a leftover from the CO systems where there was no first (except on partners), and so no need to distinguish between awards and upgrades.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Search is always your friend. This thread is a terrific resource http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...inventory.html
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by Cuse44
2 class Y to F is R/RN. ON is only used on three cabin planes.
In theory, that is true. Many migrated older reseravations, including some of mine, classed a Y-->F UG on a CRJ as ON.

I called UA about this and the person I talked with had to go offline for several minutes to find someone who knew what this was about. The word I got was that UA would "fix" this sooner or later.

I'm flying RDU-DEN tomorrow with the RDU-ORD UG on a 319 (definitely not a three-class plane) called an ON on my reservation. It'll be interesting to see how that shows up in my MP account. The reservation seems to say that I will get 150% PQMs on this leg.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dulcamara
In theory, that is true. Many migrated older reseravations, including some of mine, classed a Y-->F UG on a CRJ as ON.
Yes, but that was a one-time issue which only affected the mappings of the migrated reservations and which will be disappearing rapidly from the system as those are flown. It has absolutely zero impact on someone looking for a new upgrade today.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by dulcamara
SNIP
I'm flying RDU-DEN tomorrow with the RDU-ORD UG on a 319 (definitely not a three-class plane) called an ON on my reservation. It'll be interesting to see how that shows up in my MP account. The reservation seems to say that I will get 150% PQMs on this leg.
Sorry to rain on your parade but I THINK FT wisdom suggests that you will actually get 0 PQM or RDMs but "don't worry; they will be running a manual fix for this soon"

Lurker
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Hope someone can confirm this.
Is the upgrade sweep applied to CPU ONLY or it is applied to both CPU and RPU?

I have a RPU waitlisted seg (NRT-TPE) with R/RN=2 opened up for ~24Hrs. Called to request upgrade but was told I have to wait for the sweep. Not the R/RN=1 but I'm still waitlisted, what's going on?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:26 am

Thank You - Don't Trust the 1k Line

Thank you for this post -- it's way less convenient than the old system, but at least you can verify upgrade availability on your own. I spent 2 hours on the 1K line with an agent who insisted there was no upgrade availability for my entire travel window to Paris this summer -- I proved her wrong and ---FINALLY! -- she found the flights.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cchuang1980
Hope someone can confirm this.
Is the upgrade sweep applied to CPU ONLY or it is applied to both CPU and RPU?

I have a RPU waitlisted seg (NRT-TPE) with R/RN=2 opened up for ~24Hrs. Called to request upgrade but was told I have to wait for the sweep. Not the R/RN=1 but I'm still waitlisted, what's going on?
Hang up and call again! If there is R space, they can and will force the upgrade for you IF you are WL'd with an RPU, you just have to get the right agent.

BTW - has it been over 24 hours since you've seen R space? If so, yours is a great example of even when WL'd with an RPU, the next daily sweep may still not process your UG. The system stinks.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Hang up and call again! If there is R space, they can and will force the upgrade for you IF you are WL'd with an RPU, you just have to get the right agent.

BTW - has it been over 24 hours since you've seen R space? If so, yours is a great example of even when WL'd with an RPU, the next daily sweep may still not process your UG. The system stinks.
Thanks, I think I just need some self-confidence to call and stand firmly. This R space was there for more then 24Hrs for sure. I got that upgrade confirmed after a 10 min phone call by a nice CSR. Thanks UA-NYC. ^

Sunday morning is a good time to call, short waiting. But still I don't know why the phone call drop more frequently then before.

Last edited by cchuang1980; Mar 25, 2012 at 9:39 am
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Same flight but different inventories?

For some reason, the same flight can show no inventory when it is part of a multileg flight, but when I look at it separately, its shows upgrade inventory.
For example,
UA 1238 from SMF to IAH on July 22.
When I search for just a trip to Houston it shows:
United First (R)

Available Cabins: F9, A9, JN9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R4, RN4, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0
But when I search for a trip to EDI from SMF, the flight shows:
United Economy (T)

Available Cabins: F9, A9, JN9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN9, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T5, L0, K0, G0, N0, XN0, X0

I do note that I am getting the data with a different fare class (R versus T) at the starting point. I simply searched for the Lowest Available Fare and checked Mileage Plus Upgrade Award.
So what gives?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
For some reason, the same flight can show no inventory when it is part of a multileg flight, but when I look at it separately, its shows upgrade inventory.
So what gives?
Correct...the system is having issues (or perhaps they're doing it on purpose) where connecting flights show the inventory only for the actual connecting flights. Search segment-by-segment for the most accurate results.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
yes

Originally Posted by sbm12
Correct...the system is having issues (or perhaps they're doing it on purpose) where connecting flights show the inventory only for the actual connecting flights. Search segment-by-segment for the most accurate results.
yes, I just noticed this yesterday. Is there some sort of system upgrade, reset taking place? I was searching for award tix SFO-IAH-LIM (peru) for June, last week we booked a couple tix, was going to book the next ones THIS week. Now shows NO inventory SFO-IAH or IAH-LIM, even though the number of seats is the same. Not sure what is going on and when it will end. Don't they want my 140K (waste of miles)
Old Apr 4, 2012, 10:51 pm

How do I set "Expert Mode" on united.com?

Sorry for starting a thread about this, but I've spent the last 30 minutes googling, and the answer is not in the FAQ at the beginning of this forum.

I guess while I'm at it, is there a list of the new award fare buckets? i.e. what are the equivalents of XY,XC,NC,XF,NF?

Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.