Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: United
What does X/XN mean?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TaxiDog93
What does X/XN mean?
Those are coach award seats for non-elites and elite/CC-holders, respectively.

Originally Posted by BDLORD
every single fare class, award and upgrade code has been changed.
False.
after years of using them (old ones) I'm expected to learn new ones.
And many others who were used to the current set were not. Go figure.
I'm an old dog and I'm growling and groaning
But mostly without any substance other than that it isn't perfect for you personally. That's fine, but it does a disservice to the fact that there are plenty of other folks for whom things haven't changed so much and for whom things are not so far from the previous status quo.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Force Upgrade?

I have an upgrade on a international segment where a friend has sponsored a GPU upgrade for me. It was waitlisted, but now R/RN=2.

I tried calling to see if they could force the upgrade, but was told that there could be others ahead of me on the waitlist. I think R >= 1 for about 24 hours now. The agent said I should just "trust the system" (after 40 minutes on hold).

However, what if we just asked them to remove the SWU and then reapply. I presume that if R > 0, then the upgrade would clear instantly. Is this correct? Is there any reason not to remove and reapply?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: Continetnal Silver
Originally Posted by astroflyer
However, what if we just asked them to remove the SWU and then reapply. I presume that if R > 0, then the upgrade would clear instantly. Is this correct? Is there any reason not to remove and reapply?

If you do that then you loose your place in line as one of the criteria is when the upgrade is requested
Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: Continetnal Silver
Is there a way to search month long?

Are there any sites out there that allow you to search month long or so upgrade inventory
Old Mar 13, 2012, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tale
Are there any sites out there that allow you to search month long or so upgrade inventory
None that I'm aware of.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by tale
If you do that then you loose your place in line as one of the criteria is when the upgrade is requested
Right, but if R is available, won't it clear instantaneously? Or does it not work that way if there's a waitlist? That's the question here.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
I have an upgrade on a international segment where a friend has sponsored a GPU upgrade for me. It was waitlisted, but now R/RN=2.

I tried calling to see if they could force the upgrade, but was told that there could be others ahead of me on the waitlist. I think R >= 1 for about 24 hours now. The agent said I should just "trust the system" (after 40 minutes on hold).

But if there are people on the waitlist then shouldn't R clear immediatly to persons on the WL? So that one would never see R>0 if there is someone waitlisted.

I'd hate to be waiting for my UG and have someone jump the queue and snag it (unless he is GS of course) or has paid more than I.

By the way, does time on the waitlist count for anything thase days?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by mmack
But if there are people on the waitlist then shouldn't R clear immediatly to persons on the WL? So that one would never see R>0 if there is someone waitlisted.
I think in the new sweep methodology that that may not be the case. Basically R > 0 isn't filled until the next sweep?

Am I on the right track here?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

I think in the new sweep methodology that that may not be the case. Basically R > 0 isn't filled until the next sweep?

Am I on the right track here?
Sweeps should only apply for the CPUs. Everything else should be able to process in real-time.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:43 pm

In the meantime, the flight in question has gone from R=2 to R=1, which presumably means someone has jumped in to snag an upgrade. I would presume this did not occur during a sweep since it's the middle of the day.

sbm12: What do you think of removing the SWU upgrade and re-applying? It may just clear instantly with R > 0. I don't see any way to remove a SWU online though.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by mmack

SNIP
I have always wondered this too and had a chance to test it post merger this week. I was waitlisted for a domestic UG and R inventory became available. I had it tracked (like all of my waitlisted flights) on Expert flyer. I actually got the "your WL has cleared" email from UA an email or two before I got notification from EF that R inventory was available. I did not check the time difference between the two.

Makes me think that it does register as R>0 for a short while before the WL then automatically clears.

YMMV.

Lurker
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
Sweeps should only apply for the CPUs. Everything else should be able to process in real-time.
"Should" for RPUs/CPUs, but plenty of evidence to the contrary that it's not seamless

In the meantime, the flight in question has gone from R=2 to R=1, which presumably means someone has jumped in to snag an upgrade. I would presume this did not occur during a sweep since it's the middle of the day.

sbm12: What do you think of removing the SWU upgrade and re-applying? It may just clear instantly with R > 0. I don't see any way to remove a SWU online though.
NO! Hang up and call again to get a different agent. One will be able to force the UG for you.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
NO! Hang up and call again to get a different agent. One will be able to force the UG for you.
Thank you UA-NYC for emphatically repeating the FlyerTalk mantra. I got a nice (but very exhausted-sounding) agent who spoke with a service director who pushed it through.

The hang up and call again strategy is much more difficult with the long hold times though.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Thank you UA-NYC for emphatically repeating the FlyerTalk mantra. I got a nice (but very exhausted-sounding) agent who spoke with a service director who pushed it through.

The hang up and call again strategy is much more difficult with the long hold times though.
Glad it worked! Hopefully they'll manage to automate this whole pesky waitlist thing at some point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.