Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by rgienapp
In the past when I purchased economy tickets on United and wanted to immediately upgrade to business class, I could find the code NC and if it had a number next to it, I wouldn't have to be waitlisted. Today I found codes on the new website but it appears the codes have changed. Can someone tell me what codes to look for to immediately upgrade to business class? I called customer service but was disconnected three times. Thanks.
Search is your best friend.....

Originally Posted by sbm12
There are four different types of upgrade space available in the new United:
  • Miles/Instrument Coach->Biz (R/RN)
  • Top Elite B/M->One cabin higher (PN)
  • All Elite Y->One cabin higher (JN)
  • Miles/Instrument Biz->First (ON)
While that's a lot to go searching for, the good news is that it can all be found on the same single search results page, and there are no special custom profile settings or parameters that you need to set, though there is one which can help, detailed at the end of this post.

So, here's the drill, and it really is quite simple.
  • Do a normal revenue search for the flight you're interested in. One way or round trip doesn't matter. You just need a REVENUE fare search page that shows the results for the flight/date you are interested in.
  • On the results page look in the right-most column. The third row should say something like "Fare Class: United Economy (W)" on it. Note that the words Fare Class are a hyperlink.
  • Click that link and you will see all the inventory buckets for the flight:

That's all there is to it. Piece of cake.

If you want to get a bit more fancy and make it even easier - AND if you have a browser which supports GreaseMonkey scripts - I've created a script which causes the inventory to always be displayed for all flights and which highlights the award buckets. The downside is that there is no "X" button to close it and it obscures some other information, but I like the inventory info more so that's how I roll. For more information on that script check out my post here. Version 6.1 of the script is the first to support the new United.com and PSS site in it; older versions need to be upgraded.

This is what the page looks like with the script enabled:

Note the red/green coloring of the award buckets. Easy, at-a-glance information on upgrades and awards without too much effort at all.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Finding upgrade seats

sbm12 - great job and very well detailed search solution that everyone seem to appreciate.

However, I am too lazy to click on each result's 'Fare Class' link and review each box's fare codes, especially when the result yields lots of flights. I am still sticking to the other method you showed me a while back - click on the Advanced link and selecting MileagePlus Upgrade Award box. Easy to see which flights are upgradable as it is indicated in red so I just skip over those flights.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TXbizman
However, I am too lazy to click on each result's 'Fare Class' link and review each box's fare codes, especially when the result yields lots of flights.
If you have a browser that supports GreaseMonkey (e.g. FireFox or Chrome) the script I have that shows all the boxes open is VERY useful. It is linked in the first post. Otherwise the old method works, too, though it is a couple more clicks.
Originally Posted by malgudi
I'm assuming Top Elite = GS?
In this context - M-Ups - it is GS and 1K.

Originally Posted by malgudi
btw, what are IN/I (these are highlighted in red).
Business class awards for elites and non-elites, respectively. Any award that has no seats will show in red with the GreaseMonkey script enabled.

Originally Posted by IHAVETOFLY
Why, as a 1 K, have I not been upgraded if the seat is there?
Because they aren't upgrading folks yet. Upgrades can begin to clear at that point but there is no guarantee that they will. And you might not even be #1 on the priority for the seat.

Originally Posted by IHAVETOFLY
Do I call 1K phone line and ask why? Can they "force" the upgrade to go through?
No and no.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
If you have a browser that supports GreaseMonkey (e.g. FireFox or Chrome) the script I have that shows all the boxes open is VERY useful. It is linked in the first post. Otherwise the old method works, too, though it is a couple more clicks.
Yes, I saw that in your post; unfortunately I don't have a browser that supports GreaseMonkey.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Under the heading "learning the new website"...hopefully not Off Topic.

I just purchased an international itinerary with R space.

I cannot figure out how to apply the GPU.

I can see where to change seats, but nothing about applying an upgrade certificate. Would someone be kind enough to point me to the hidden location? I would like to apply it before the R space disappears.

Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goodeats21
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-upgrade.html

Should work the same for your own reservation, namely click the option beneath the flights listed to process an upgrade. If that isn't there then you can try to change your seat to one in the forward cabin - that used to work - or just call it in.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA

I can see where to change seats, but nothing about applying an upgrade certificate. Would someone be kind enough to point me to the hidden location? I would like to apply it before the R space disappears.

Thanks.
Once you have completed the booking and it is ticketed, go to "my itineraries" and there will be a box for upgrading you can then select it.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:39 pm

Thanks.
First - is your fare W or higher? If so, on your reservation page, towards the top, you should see a link to upgrade. From there on, you will have options to upgrade using miles, GPU, etc.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
First - is your fare W or higher? If so, on your reservation page, towards the top, you should see a link to upgrade. From there on, you will have options to upgrade using miles, GPU, etc.
Yes, W fare specifically to use the GPU.

Finally got an upgrade button to push. I think maybe it took a while to ticket or something.

But still can't apply the GPU. I can see it on the site, but no action to apply it. On phone with agent now....some type of known problem apparently.

Thanks for the help, though.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:53 pm

Finally got an upgrade button to push. I think maybe it took a while to ticket or something.

But still can't apply the GPU. I can see it on the site, but no action to apply it. On phone with agent now....some type of known problem apparently.

Then the problem is system related as you seem to have all basis covered. Prior to migration of the system, I was able to use SWU on CO using the methods I mentioned. Good luck and let us know if the agent is successful.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then the problem is system related as you seem to have all basis covered. Prior to migration of the system, I was able to use SWU on CO using the methods I mentioned. Good luck and let us know if the agent is successful.
Yes, agent confirmed some type of known issue with applying GPU to reservations online. She mentioned she has spent many calls today manually applying them (or something like that).

All good now, upgrades confirmed. Only 30 minutes or so on the phone this time.
Wait. Spoke too soon. Reservation now has the red message "! A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued."

What is the current thinking. Do I need to call in or does this fix itself?

Last edited by goodeats21; Mar 8, 2012 at 2:26 pm
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:47 pm

Yes, agent confirmed some type of known issue with applying GPU to reservations online. She mentioned she has spent many calls today manually applying them (or something like that).

All good now, upgrades confirmed. Only 30 minutes or so on the phone this time.
Wait. Spoke too soon. Reservation now has the red message "! A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued."

What is the current thinking. Do I need to call in or does this fix itself?
I would check to see what modification was made - if you are not in FC, then best to call back.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA GS
Another great tool from sbm12

Mahalo
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold

Yep, on the phone with an agent, too. Trying to apply GPUs from each acct (M/Ms BH, both 1K). Latest update: after quite a long hold time, the agent got this done. HooRay!!!!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Gold (Life), Hyatt Explorer, Various other hotel FS pgms
Originally Posted by rgienapp
In the past when I purchased economy tickets on United and wanted to immediately upgrade to business class, I could find the code NC and if it had a number next to it, I wouldn't have to be waitlisted. Today I found codes on the new website but it appears the codes have changed. Can someone tell me what codes to look for to immediately upgrade to business class? I called customer service but was disconnected three times. Thanks.
I started a new thread posing this exact same question, but didn't get a clear answer -- yet. When you, rgienapp, learn more (or anyone else who has a firm answer to this question), will you please visit this new thread and post the answer? Thank you!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.