Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post 3-Mar-2012:How to find upgrade inventory [+how to see fare bucket availability]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:56 pm
smn

What does it mean when there is no R/RN listed?

I know how to see the fare bucket availability. I have a BOS-SFO flight booked (on a 757). It lists F9, however there is no R class listed (not even R0).

Haven't seen this before. What does that mean? Does that mean R will never open up on this flight? Normally it just says R0.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by smn
I know how to see the fare bucket availability. I have a BOS-SFO flight booked (on a 757). It lists F9, however there is no R class listed (not even R0).

Haven't seen this before. What does that mean? Does that mean R will never open up on this flight? Normally it just says R0.
When an inventory fare class=0, at some places it is listed with x0 (such as flight searches) but other places (such in Manage Reservations) it is not listed. It has been this way from the beginning.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
EWR-DEL

Friends, I am not sure if the answers are somewhere hidden in this excellent post. I am a 1K/GS and bought a B-fare EWR-DEL (travel 22Jul), return DEL-EWR (travel 27Jul). I applied 2 GPUs. Do I have to look out for R, RN, P, or PN to become available for the upgrade to clear? Of course all of these upgrade possibilities are not even listed as available on my two travel dates. What are my chances they clear? or would I be better off paying the difference (I paid approximately $4,000), and would that be very expensive? Thanks so much!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by OnePassenger
Friends, I am not sure if the answers are somewhere hidden in this excellent post. I am a 1K/GS and bought a B-fare EWR-DEL (travel 22Jul), return DEL-EWR (travel 27Jul). I applied 2 GPUs. Do I have to look out for R, RN, P, or PN to become available for the upgrade to clear? Of course all of these upgrade possibilities are not even listed as available on my two travel dates. What are my chances they clear? or would I be better off paying the difference (I paid approximately $4,000), and would that be very expensive? Thanks so much!
You don't have to monitor for R to become available, but sometimes the waitlists don't get processed automatically. I am a big fan of and often recommend a subscription to ExpertFlyer, especially for frequent flyers. You can setup alerts to notify you if R becomes available. Based on seat maps (not 100% accurate but sometimes a good indication) I would say you would look good at this point. I wouldn't buy up.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Friends, I am not sure if the answers are somewhere hidden in this excellent post. I am a 1K/GS and bought a B-fare EWR-DEL (travel 22Jul), return DEL-EWR (travel 27Jul). I applied 2 GPUs. Do I have to look out for R, RN, P, or PN to become available for the upgrade to clear?
R is the bucket your upgrade will come out of.

What are my chances they clear?
Better than if you didn't have the GPUs applied. Otherwise, no one can really say with any authority.

would I be better off paying the difference (I paid approximately $4,000), and would that be very expensive?
If you want to guarantee the seat up front that's the option to pursue. You can see how much it costs on the website. Chose a seat in the BF cabin and it will tell you what the fare difference is.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
FDo I have to look out for R, RN, P, or PN to become available for the upgrade to clear? Thanks so much!
So as others have mentioned RN (the elite upgrade bucket, which is closely related to R) is the one that your upgrade will come out of. You don't have to watch it, but I recommend it. In fact, that was the only way I got 2 upgrades this year was watching for R>0 when my GPU was still in the queue. The agents then manually did it. It appears there's some strange technical bugs that appear from time to time on these systems. ExpertFlyer was quite useful for this monitoring, although I find it too expensive to use all the time.

It's pretty hard to imagine a GS on a B fare not clearing. If you wanted to save GPU's you could upgrade a B fare with miles as well, FYI
Old Jun 17, 2012, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by astroflyer
So as others have mentioned RN (the elite upgrade bucket, which is closely related to R) is the one that your upgrade will come out of.
No, it isn't. RN is not in use yet. The upgrade will come out of R.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: Recovering UA 1k, MillionMiler
Thanks!

This is excellent! And, so obvious, that I don't know how I missed it. Much as I love ExpertFlyer this is certainly convenient. And nice to have when talking to a rep.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EP, HH-D, Marriott-G,HPass-PL, Avis-Pres, Hertz-Pres
Okay thrown for a loop on this one.... using Booked M out and back to IAH-IAD-DXB all UA metal. 1k PN clears for IAH -IAD legs at booking. Wait-list DXB segments using GPUs and have set EF alerts looking for R and RN availability.

Took a peak today and DXB-IAD (UA977 on 7/19) is showing PN availability on a TATL. My understanding was PN only clears for TCON. Should I be calling 1K desk asking them to force GPU or is that a waste of time.

Sorry if this has been covered in the thread but can't quite follow the post 3/3 level of __N's and other fare rules.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woofly
Okay thrown for a loop on this one.... using Booked M out and back to IAH-IAD-DXB all UA metal. 1k PN clears for IAH -IAD legs at booking. Wait-list DXB segments using GPUs and have set EF alerts looking for R and RN availability.

Took a peak today and DXB-IAD (UA977 on 7/19) is showing PN availability on a TATL. My understanding was PN only clears for TCON. Should I be calling 1K desk asking them to force GPU or is that a waste of time.

Sorry if this has been covered in the thread but can't quite follow the post 3/3 level of __N's and other fare rules.
PN can show on GPU-eligible segments but it isn't useful for anything. You cannot upgrade into it.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
RN is not in use yet..
I used miles to book into X/XN and a GPU for an upgrade to BF. It cleared into RN for whatever that's worth.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajhun9
I used miles to book into X/XN and a GPU for an upgrade to BF. It cleared into RN for whatever that's worth.
There are a number of isolated reports of things clearing into RN from time to time. Official statement from the company is that it isn't in use and I think the majority of the data supports that.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Trying to understand Y-Upgrades. My mother is looking to fly BWI-BCN (Barcelona). She is a Premier Silver. If she purchases a Y fare ticket and the flight shows J4, does that mean it will automatically upgrade her to First (2-class 757 cabin)? Specific flight is August 9th, UA120. Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2012, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1cericks
Trying to understand Y-Upgrades. My mother is looking to fly BWI-BCN (Barcelona). She is a Premier Silver. If she purchases a Y fare ticket and the flight shows J4, does that mean it will automatically upgrade her to First (2-class 757 cabin)? Specific flight is August 9th, UA120. Thanks
Y-Ups only apply in markets which are CPU-eligible. EWR-BCN is not so it will not work.

Upgrades on that flight will come from R inventory.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:01 am

Miles + copay upgrade bucket

Hi,
I was wondering if united fare classes list an upgrade bucket for miles + copay so I can tell whether I can upgrade instantly at the time of booking rather than getting waitlisted. I'm debating ORD to LIM via EWR which would need the upgrade on the EWR to LIM leg and would be otherwise preferable if I can guarantee the upgrade vs using an RPU on COPA and flying ORD to PTY to LIM. I know the COPA upgrade should go through, but I'd prefer the hard product on the EWR to LIM flight if I can guarantee the upgrade at booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.