Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Million Miler Program
Mileage accrual for Million Miler qualification is based on the flight distance of United- and United Express-operated flights.
With United's change to PQPs and PQFs, UA no longer provides information on flight / "BIS" mile
United no longer shows the BIS mileage. For now, the app is showing segment miles during booking -- but united.com is not.
Presently using UA's timetable to research the flight, the flight miles are provided

Alternatively, you can use third-party tools like, gcmap to get a number. It may differ from UA's number by a few miles
Building a UA city pair BIS table
And finally, you can trust UA to track your miles (There have been very, very few instances of issues and less recently)
  • For elites, there is 500 lifetime mile minimum for UA/UX flights. (still true in 2020 and PQP/PQF era)
  • There is no elite bonus or class of service bonus.
  • BIS miles = PQMs for 100% fares
  • Bus operated land connections booked as UA flight numbers earn lifetime miles
  • No partner flights earn UA lifetime miles.
  • Flight number / codeshare / ticket stock does not matter -- as long as it is a United-operated flight that is being credited to UA MP program.
  • No credit card activity earns UA lifetime miles
  • Only paid flights (including BULK / most consolidator tickets), no credit for award flights
  • There is no method for purchasing lifetime miles
  • Basic Economy segments are non-mileage earning and do not earn lifetime miles In the second iteration of BE (2018Q4), LT mileage earning appears to have been restored (100% 50% of BIS)
  • Lapchild tickets are non-mileage earning including lifetime miles
There was a complicated adjustment of lifetime miles at the time of the UA/CO merger due to the different programs & earning rules, including that CO granted lifetime miles for partner flights, PQM bonuses, and some credit card activity. But the above are the present rules.

Post-merge, COPA flights also accumulated UA lifetime miles, that ceased in July 2015 when COPA left MileagePlus.

What if I use miles to purchase the trip? Does that earn Lifetime Miles?
Depends
If you are using just UA miles and only paying cash for the taxes, as an award trip, it does not qualify for Lifetime miles
However
If you are using points from a credit card to purchase a ticket on their site, then the trip qualifies
If you are booking an economy ticket but using miles to upgrade, then the trip qualifies
If you are using the Money+Miles payment option, then the trip qualifies (regardless of the amount paid by miles)
If you are purchasing with a Chase creditcard and then using miles as a statement credit, then the trip qualifies
What about purchasing with "Money+Miles"?
100% Lifetime Miles earning
see What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?
Related Threads
MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits [2014 forward]
Million Miler companion benefit
Building a UA city pair BIS table

Archive: [url=https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2150272-how-lifetime-miles-calculated-mileageplus-archive.html]How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus? {Archive}
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2024, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Is the lifetime miles number actually miles flown?
( with the following understanding:
A. you used to get a minimum 500 miles for shorter distances and B. now miles posted can be much less than actual miles flown)
thanks for any replies 🤙
You still get 500 miles min., provided you have Premier status.

What you are seeing in the flight activity posting is redeemable miles, which may be lower than 500, as it is based on the fare. Lifetime miles are not the same as redeemable miles.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Is the lifetime miles number actually miles flown?
( with the following understanding:
A. you used to get a minimum 500 miles for shorter distances and B. now miles posted can be much less than actual miles flown)
thanks for any replies 🤙

It’s not the actual miles flown; it’s basically the shortest distance between a point (unknown) on each of the two airports in the flight segment. In my experience that distance is almost always that provided by the Great Circle Mapper website.

You could fly more miles depending on how the aircraft is routed by ATC, holding patterns, etc. As long as the airports are more than 500 miles a part, you’ll earn lifetime miles equivalent to the distance between the two airports.

reward miles are a whole different story that has been told, and retold elsewhere!
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
It’s not the actual miles flown; it’s basically the shortest distance between a point (unknown) on each of the two airports in the flight segment. In my experience that distance is almost always that provided by the Great Circle Mapper website.

You could fly more miles depending on how the aircraft is routed by ATC, holding patterns, etc. As long as the airports are more than 500 miles a part, you’ll earn lifetime miles equivalent to the distance between the two airports.

reward miles are a whole different story that has been told, and retold elsewhere!
thanks for your reply
that’s what I was trying to figure out
I’m just interested in knowing what the total miles flown( between airports etc) is and it seems that the “ lifetime miles flown “ is based on that
thanks again
Old Mar 15, 2024, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for your reply
that’s what I was trying to figure out
I’m just interested in knowing what the total miles flown( between airports etc) is and it seems that the “ lifetime miles flown “ is based on that
thanks again
It is. You’ll find a lot of people on FlyerTalk keep a spreadsheet of their flying history, so for any city pair you fly, someone here can provide the distance in lifetime miles.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 3:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
It is. You’ll find a lot of people on FlyerTalk keep a spreadsheet of their flying history, so for any city pair you fly, someone here can provide the distance in lifetime miles.
Any Great Circle Mapper web site, like http://www.gcmap.com, will provide a sufficiently accurate value (and average +-1,2 miles) and depending how often you fly sync up with United's number -- once a year, once a quarter, and for the most die heart once a month (or once a trip), If ORCing probably worth a check.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Any Great Circle Mapper web site, like Great Circle Mapper, will provide a sufficiently accurate value (and average +-1,2 miles) and depending how often you fly sync up with United's number -- once a year, once a quarter, and for the most die heart once a month (or once a trip), If ORCing probably worth a check.
Once per segment is the only way to find the variance (if any) between United and websites like GCM
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Once per segment is the only way to find the variance (if any) between United and websites like GCM
But does that really matter, if you sync up with UA from time to time. As determined earlier in another thread it tends to average out anyways.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But does that really matter, if you sync up with UA from time to time. As determined earlier in another thread it tends to average out anyways.
I am sure some of us are syncing the lifetime balance on accumulated basis by flight.

If you are on the same route off by 1 or 2 for each flight, they tend to add up.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 4:59 pm

I am sure some of us are syncing the lifetime balance on accumulated basis by flight.

If you are on the same route off by 1 or 2 for each flight, they tend to add up.
Regular sync'ing with UA based on frequency of flights will minimize the delta. for 99.999% and most in this forum, and prevent any significant issue since the threshold are in million mile increments which takes years to achieve for all but a small handful of flyers.
Anyone is free to re-sync every flight if they feel the need, but short of achieving a threshold in the near future, there may be better uses of one's time.
If there was a history of errors by UA, I might change my mind but other then the ORC cases mentioned earlier, its your choice to spend the time.

I would suspect those doing the same route frequently already know the mileage and don't need to consult gcmap.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It happens, not too often, but it does. For example, SFO-SIN was 8,444 for years; GCM has it as 8,446; United has it now as 8,445. LAX-LHR, which I’ll fly this evening, is 5,456 on United and GCM. Last year, for a month or two, United had it as 5,457. DEN-SFO and DEN-EWR recently disagreed by a mile too. EWR-SFO is and was 2,565 miles for both parties, though United recently awarded 2,566 (yippee!!).

In the grand scheme of things for almost everyone, it’s not a big deal. For me it is. I want my figures (PQFs, PQPs and lifetime miles) to match up exactly for every segment. If not, I’ll track down the reason why! 😊
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post # 293)

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post # 294)
Anyone is free to re-sync every flight if they feel the need, but short of achieving a threshold in the near future, there may be better uses of one's time. . . .

I would suspect those doing the same route frequently already know the mileage and don't need to consult gcmap.
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan (Post # 295)
It happens, not too often, but it does. For example, SFO-SIN was 8,444 for years; GCM has it as 8,446; United has it now as 8,445. . . .

In the grand scheme of things for almost everyone, it’s not a big deal. For me it is. I want my figures (PQFs, PQPs and lifetime miles) to match up exactly for every segment. If not, I’ll track down the reason why! 😊
It is a lot easier if you're usually only a Premier Silver. I'm not out to find UA mistakes, so I don't verify with alternative sources. It doesn't bother me that UA changes distances occasionally.

But since UA doesn't provide any lifetime mileage statement but one's current total, the only way to verify receipt of what they claim you should receive is to note lifetime mileage segment-by-segment.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
It is a lot easier if you're usually only a Premier Silver. I'm not out to find UA mistakes, so I don't verify with alternative sources. It doesn't bother me that UA changes distances occasionally.

But since UA doesn't provide any lifetime mileage statement but one's current total, the only way to verify receipt of what they claim you should receive is to note lifetime mileage segment-by-segment.
Actually, when there’s a discrepancy , I thoroughly enjoy it. It brings out my inner Jessica Fletcher, as I waste life’s precious minutes searching for a missing, fictive, lifetime mile.
lincolnjkc, Say Vandelay and 8MiHi like this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
When was the last time someone reported just an UA error of LT Miles??? Missing flights or ORCs or irrops all showup in other numbers. The LT tracking errors have all been on my part or a small difference (1, 2 miles) due to UA changes. As I am close to a threshold, and I track other key parameters, have been watching LT closer but it is more OCD than a real need.
SPN Lifer, 1KChinito and 8MiHi like this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:05 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
When was the last time someone reported just an UA error of LT Miles??? Missing flights or ORCs or irrops all showup in other numbers. The LT tracking errors have all been on my part or a small difference (1, 2 miles) due to UA changes. As I am close to a threshold, and I track other key parameters, have been watching LT closer but it is more OCD than a real need.
Or too much time on one's hand.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 6:13 am

Programs: UA1K
If you’re on a direct but not nonstop flight, is lifetime miles calculated by the distance between origin and destination airports?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.