Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Million Miler Program
Mileage accrual for Million Miler qualification is based on the flight distance of United- and United Express-operated flights.
With United's change to PQPs and PQFs, UA no longer provides information on flight / "BIS" mile
United no longer shows the BIS mileage. For now, the app is showing segment miles during booking -- but united.com is not.
Presently using UA's timetable to research the flight, the flight miles are provided

Alternatively, you can use third-party tools like, gcmap to get a number. It may differ from UA's number by a few miles
Building a UA city pair BIS table
And finally, you can trust UA to track your miles (There have been very, very few instances of issues and less recently)
  • For elites, there is 500 lifetime mile minimum for UA/UX flights. (still true in 2020 and PQP/PQF era)
  • There is no elite bonus or class of service bonus.
  • BIS miles = PQMs for 100% fares
  • Bus operated land connections booked as UA flight numbers earn lifetime miles
  • No partner flights earn UA lifetime miles.
  • Flight number / codeshare / ticket stock does not matter -- as long as it is a United-operated flight that is being credited to UA MP program.
  • No credit card activity earns UA lifetime miles
  • Only paid flights (including BULK / most consolidator tickets), no credit for award flights
  • There is no method for purchasing lifetime miles
  • Basic Economy segments are non-mileage earning and do not earn lifetime miles In the second iteration of BE (2018Q4), LT mileage earning appears to have been restored (100% 50% of BIS)
  • Lapchild tickets are non-mileage earning including lifetime miles
There was a complicated adjustment of lifetime miles at the time of the UA/CO merger due to the different programs & earning rules, including that CO granted lifetime miles for partner flights, PQM bonuses, and some credit card activity. But the above are the present rules.

Post-merge, COPA flights also accumulated UA lifetime miles, that ceased in July 2015 when COPA left MileagePlus.

What if I use miles to purchase the trip? Does that earn Lifetime Miles?
Depends
If you are using just UA miles and only paying cash for the taxes, as an award trip, it does not qualify for Lifetime miles
However
If you are using points from a credit card to purchase a ticket on their site, then the trip qualifies
If you are booking an economy ticket but using miles to upgrade, then the trip qualifies
If you are using the Money+Miles payment option, then the trip qualifies (regardless of the amount paid by miles)
If you are purchasing with a Chase creditcard and then using miles as a statement credit, then the trip qualifies
What about purchasing with "Money+Miles"?
100% Lifetime Miles earning
see What is the "Book with Money and Miles" option ?
Related Threads
MileagePlus Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits [2014 forward]
Million Miler companion benefit
Building a UA city pair BIS table

Archive: [url=https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2150272-how-lifetime-miles-calculated-mileageplus-archive.html]How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus? {Archive}
Related thread: Lifetime status by airline -- attempted summary
Print Wikipost

How are "lifetime miles" calculated for MileagePlus?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2023, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I just use GCmap like my cohorts above. I like seeing the visual aspect of the routing and being able to put in multiple routings to see how it changes the mileage. Of course, you have to do the manual adjusting for min 500 miles if you have status for any segment.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 9:08 pm

Programs: MileagePlus-Premier Silver, Marriott Bonvoy-Silver Elite
GCMAP has been spot on for my recent flights after I started tracking it.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 9:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CApreppie
... Of course, you have to do the manual adjusting for min 500 miles if you have status for any segment.
Set the minimum distance to 500 and gcmap does that for you

Old Sep 18, 2023, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Set the minimum distance to 500 and gcmap does that for you

Learn something new from you all everyday.
VRFast likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Looking for an updated thread about these rules - mods please move if necessary.

What is the current rule for UA codeshares counting / not counting for MM BIS count?

I have a few upcoming tickets that I'm not sure about. One is South America - PTY - IAH - YVR... First leg Copa metal, second leg UA metal, final leg AC metal... but 016 ticket stock and all UA flight numbers.

I know the PTY-IAH on UA metal earns MM BIS. Do the others, since 016 ticket and UA flight numbers? Or no, because CM and AC metal?

Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2023, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Looking for an updated thread about these rules - mods please move if necessary.

What is the current rule for UA codeshares counting / not counting for MM BIS count?

I have a few upcoming tickets that I'm not sure about. One is South America - PTY - IAH - YVR... First leg Copa metal, second leg UA metal, final leg AC metal... but 016 ticket stock and all UA flight numbers.

I know the PTY-IAH on UA metal earns MM BIS. Do the others, since 016 ticket and UA flight numbers? Or no, because CM and AC metal?

Thanks!
No, because it's based on operating carrier.

Only UA metal on paid ticket (non-award) earns MM miles - this can be both 016 and non-016 tickets.
Old Oct 31, 2023, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Just to confirm, if I accumulate most of my points from non-United flights (Star Alliance airlines), those points still go towards those million miles lifetime offers? Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2023, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Just to confirm, if I accumulate most of my points from non-United flights (Star Alliance airlines), those points still go towards those million miles lifetime offers? Thanks
No. United lifetime status can only be accumulated from flying United and United Express flights (and paid flights only; award flights also do not accumulate, even on United metal).
Old Nov 1, 2023, 1:46 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
No. United lifetime status can only be accumulated from flying United and United Express flights (and paid flights only; award flights also do not accumulate, even on United metal).
Makes sense. Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Like all normal flyers, I have been tracking flights I take since the mid-90s. I thank Continental/United for helping me develop an expertise in Excel. Distances have been stable over that time; however, since August, one or two city pairs are now slightly “further apart”! For example SFO/SIN was 8,444 miles since I first took that flight in 2018. On the last two trips, I got 8,445 on each leg. It’s no big deal; I get to add an extra column into the spreadsheet. I also take a screenshot of my lifetime miles shortly after I compete each leg. Has anyone else noticed this change?
Old Nov 1, 2023, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Like all normal flyers, I have been tracking flights I take since the mid-90s. I thank Continental/United for helping me develop an expertise in Excel. Distances have been stable over that time; however, since August, one or two city pairs are now slightly “further apart”! For example SFO/SIN was 8,444 miles since I first took that flight in 2018. On the last two trips, I got 8,445 on each leg. It’s no big deal; I get to add an extra column into the spreadsheet. I also take a screenshot of my lifetime miles shortly after I compete each leg. Has anyone else noticed this change?
From one normal flyer to another, yes! Seems they repositioned SFO slightly a year and a bit ago.

From Building a UA city pair BIS table,

Originally Posted by fumje
Updated wiki to include the most recent data available. Thanks to all the posters providing distances.

One oddity is that it seems SFO has definitively moved. EWR-SFO, HNL-SFO, IAH-SFO and PHX-SFO have all changed BIS credit. Preparing for Hayward fault to act up??

Tangentially, LAX seems about half a mile farther south in UA's calculations than gcmap's. Something funny about California.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
From one normal flyer to another, yes! Seems they repositioned SFO slightly a year and a bit ago.

From Building a UA city pair BIS table,

Tangentially, LAX seems about half a mile farther south in UA's calculations than gcmap's. Something funny about California.
I wonder what could have happened and why is the furniture dancing across the room!
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

An airport's location, or airport reference point, is defined as its geographical center. In the US this is determined by taking a weighted average of the ends of all of the runways. Occasionally, airports add or remove runways. This can affect the reference point. When the FAA database changes to update the reference point, airlines might not pick up immediately on the change. I'm pretty sure this is why some airports "move" occasionally and why the number of miles UA (for example) credits for flights sometimes changes.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
An airport's location, or airport reference point, is defined as its geographical center. In the US this is determined by taking a weighted average of the ends of all of the runways. Occasionally, airports add or remove runways. This can affect the reference point. When the FAA database changes to update the reference point, airlines might not pick up immediately on the change. I'm pretty sure this is why some airports "move" occasionally and why the number of miles UA (for example) credits for flights sometimes changes.
Great info! Thanks. 😁

As far as I remember for SFO, it hasn't added or removed runways for several years, only repaved some. So does that mean one or the other source use a calculation while a runway was temporarily closed?
Old Nov 1, 2023, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Great info! Thanks. 😁

As far as I remember for SFO, it hasn't added or removed runways for several years, only repaved some. So does that mean one or the other source use a calculation while a runway was temporarily closed?
We can only speculate. I seriously doubt they change the reference point when runways are clsed temporarily.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.